• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keithyv
    Valued Member
    • May 2018
    • Perth

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
    As a coil spring compresses it rotates slightly in the direction of the wind, so there needs to be about 10mm gap between the end of the coil wire and the recess in the lower spring pad on the lower suspension arm. if you don't do this then it will accelerate the wear of the lower insulator and become noisy when you get metal to metal contact.

Well that's good news at there is probably a 10 -15mm gap between the lower end of the spring and the 'lump' in the seat / lower insulator.

I'm pretty sure the stock springs were right up against the 'lump' at the bottom and top, that's why I was concerned.

There are no odd noises or anything and all seems good. Car feels a lot more planted and I'm very happy at the moment.
    2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
    MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• signo1985
      • Sep 2017
      • Perth

Interesting discussion, especially for a noob like me when it comes to suspensions.
      And since I will be looking at upgrading them either this year or next year, ill relax and keep reading

Comment

• Jasonmc73
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2019
        • Brisbane

Originally posted by signo1985 View Post
        Interesting discussion, especially for a noob like me when it comes to suspensions.
        And since I will be looking at upgrading them either this year or next year, ill relax and keep reading
        If anything like me who's doing same, the confusion will only deepen

As i will be on/off with ball weights, no weight carried otherwise i cannot see any real options apart from airbags in the rear.

As for front end, going to fit bar & winch as solo travel will be more often than not, want it lifted so can't see any option but a stiff spring upfront.
        Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Jasonmc73 View Post

As i will be on/off with ball weights, no weight carried otherwise i cannot see any real options apart from airbags in the rear.

As for front end, going to fit bar & winch as solo travel will be more often than not, want it lifted so can't see any option but a stiff spring upfront.
          Hi Jason,

Most coil manufacturers have a range of coils to choose from.
          Once you have your unladen and laden weights then then it is a matter of choosing the best compromise coil to suit your requirements.
          No coil will be perfect for all applications particularly if you have large weight variances so you may need airbags to supplement the rear coils.
          My view is if you have 200kg or more of towball down load then a WDH is best for highway/good dirt travel. The WDH should only be setup to return the weight transfer that has come from the front axle back to the front axle and not be used as a substitute for undersized rear coils.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• signo1985
            • Sep 2017
            • Perth

And English isn't even my first language, you can only imagine

in my case i dont have any specific weights to consider ATM, no bullbar no towing (atm, would love to get a caravan one day...we'll see in a few years), i dont do any hard core 4wding but mainly taking the family camping, so car fully packed at the back but that it'll be it.
            The problem is factory suspensions have sagged a bit already, im down 495mm at the front and 505 approx at back unladen.
            At this stage progressive springs would be my choice but i need to read a lot more.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2019
              • Brisbane

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
              Hi Jason,

Most coil manufacturers have a range of coils to choose from.
              Once you have your unladen and laden weights then then it is a matter of choosing the best compromise coil to suit your requirements.
              No coil will be perfect for all applications particularly if you have large weight variances so you may need airbags to supplement the rear coils.
              My view is if you have 200kg or more of towball down load then a WDH is best for highway/good dirt travel. The WDH should only be setup to return the weight transfer that has come from the front axle back to the front axle and not be used as a substitute for undersized rear coils.

OJ.
              Yes I can see your point & it will be somethig well considered.

The KCRR35 spring rate begins at basically factory spring rate & ends up at 50% above factory.
              The unkown is how linear the 17.47KG ability is in actual practise?
              Unladen from what i have been reading from paul MCg's experiences the lighter part of the coil as it were is actually already under a fair compression Unladen weight.

Then there is TwoEMMS whom has fitted a KCRR35CH which starts out quite soft, "theory 9.64kg's" BUT he has constant 100kg load if i've read correct & has quite a lift at the rear. This spring when it gets into working load is somewhere around 20% ish stiffer than factory,

How linear any of this is . If I don't know that answer beforehand possibly a question i will be asking Kings & then fit

If i'm reading the table done by Old jack rite at 515mm both these springs will carry 200kg ball load excluding load in vehicle depending on how linear the rate actually is it could be earlier than that they'll carry that load, ADD airbag to the picture well i am forming an opinion one of these will be about the spot as obviously airbags are going to share the job, getting it back somewhere to EBH of 530mm.

Atleast i have a plan & will be comparing these thoughts against how standard springs currently fitted perform 11.6kg spring rate as a guide.

I have time to ponder for quite a while & see how Two Emms gets on, but Kings HD springs have slipped way down the list currently
              Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• sm88cm
                • Jul 2020
                • NSW

Crikey, I didnt reply to the last mega suspension thread due to being bamboozled, however I tried to take on some of the excellent advise. I am still no further in my knowledge of what suspension I need so please someone put my mind at rest and help me decide.

I have a 2019 NX GLX. Recently purchased new.

I wish to have the following:

40mm lift ( as advised mega thread)

I shall be towing anywhere up to 2.5t depending on trailer/van/camper.
                Pajero will normally be used onroad but hopefully more beach and logging trails, no hard 4 wheel driving.

I have quotes from pedders etc and from information gathered I shall require airbags due to the difference in load I shall be towing/ carrying at any one point in time.

Any advice willl be greatly appreciated. Tired of searching/ comparing and getting confused with it all.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2019
                  • Brisbane

I'm no expert & as you find it confusing

But one thing i have worked out definitely, without some actual weighed weights, it's like pin the tail on the donkey i guess.

When i'm ready & between i'm probably going to buy tow ball scale & i am definitely weighing front & rear axles.

Comment

• Toshmegosh
                    • Jul 2020
                    • North Shore, Sydney

Originally posted by sm88cm View Post
                    Crikey, I didnt reply to the last mega suspension thread due to being bamboozled, however I tried to take on some of the excellent advise. I am still no further in my knowledge of what suspension I need so please someone put my mind at rest and help me decide.

Pajero will normally be used onroad but hopefully more beach and logging trails, no hard 4 wheel driving.

I have quotes from pedders etc and from information gathered I shall require airbags due to the difference in load I shall be towing/ carrying at any one point in time.

Any advice willl be greatly appreciated. Tired of searching/ comparing and getting confused with it all.
                    Another option for you to consider/ask for a quote.

I just completed a tow capacity (suspension) upgrade thru Climax Suspension on my MY19 GLS - they offer a no cost 2 inch lift option. If you don't want the tow capacity upgrade and just have the suspension upgrade you will save on the substantial engineers fees. Given the well known issue if you go over 2,500kgs tow weight by even 1 kg I thought safer to get the full TBM upgrade
                    MY19 NX GLS, factory towbar, Redarc Towpro v3 & isolator, engineer certified upgrade to 300kg TBM @3T (Kings springs, Koni 82 series shocks, Airbagman HP bags) Provent 200 catch can. To come - Automate

Comment

• old Jack
                      Regular
                      • Jun 2011

Originally posted by sm88cm View Post

Hi SM,

Yes it is easy to get tired and confused but it is a whole lot easier to take the wrong advice and get the suspension selection incorrect.

The Gen 3/4 Pajero with independent front and rear suspension are really sensitive to coils selection. You cannot have coils that are great with no loads and then expect them to be great once you fit accessories like a bullbar, winch, aux battery, underbody guards, rear storage drawer system, aux fuel tank etc, etc, so you best if you add all you fixed weight first then weigh the front and rear axles, and then list what extra weight and where you want to carry it.

Whatever suspension you fit it will be a compromise so it is just how big a compromise you are willing to make.

Alternatively you can just take the gamble and go to any number of "expert" suspension resellers, take their word that they are giving you unbias advice and hand over your cash.

OJ.
                      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2019
                        • Brisbane

Originally posted by Toshmegosh View Post
                        Another option for you to consider/ask for a quote.

I just completed a tow capacity (suspension) upgrade thru Climax Suspension on my MY19 GLS - they offer a no cost 2 inch lift option. If you don't want the tow capacity upgrade and just have the suspension upgrade you will save on the substantial engineers fees. Given the well known issue if you go over 2,500kgs tow weight by even 1 kg I thought safer to get the full TBM upgrade
                        Out of interest if you don't mind me asking, which kings springs front & rear have they fitted to your vehicle with the airbags to handle 300kg towball load?

Should be stencilled on the spring.

& how is your ride unladen in your opinion?

Comment

• Toshmegosh
                          • Jul 2020
                          • North Shore, Sydney

Out of interest if you don't mind me asking, which kings springs front & rear have they fitted to your vehicle with the airbags to handle 300kg towball load?

Should be stencilled on the spring.

& how is your ride unladen in your opinion?
                          KCFR-34 and KCRS- 35. I did not go for the 2 inch lift but got around 30mm EBH increase at the front and 10mm at the back anyway!

Happy with unladen ride, more settled than factory I think on uneven road surfaces (I don't offroad though, towing was my prime motivation for upgrade)
                          MY19 NX GLS, factory towbar, Redarc Towpro v3 & isolator, engineer certified upgrade to 300kg TBM @3T (Kings springs, Koni 82 series shocks, Airbagman HP bags) Provent 200 catch can. To come - Automate

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011

KCFR-34 and KCRS- 35. I did not go for the 2 inch lift but got around 30mm EBH increase at the front and 10mm at the back anyway!

Happy with unladen ride, more settled than factory I think on uneven road surfaces (I don't offroad though, towing was my prime motivation for upgrade)
                            So what are your finished ride heights front and rear, measured from the centre of the wheel hub to to underside of the wheel arch in a vertical line?

What extra weight to you have added to your Pajero?

OJ.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2019
                              • Brisbane

Thanks mate appreciate the feeback.

Comment

• old Jack
                                Regular
                                • Jun 2011

Thanks mate appreciate the feeback.
                                Hi Jason,

Until we know the final ride heights of Toshmegosh's Pajero and the axle loads then the increases in ride height are not relevant because we do not know the starting ride heights.

I have fitted a set of KCRS-35 rear coils to correct the rear ride height (505mm unladen) on a non-lifted NW that was towing with 150kg ball load and 200kg in total of rear seat and cargo area loads. The bottom insulators where not replaced at the time and the KCRS-35 gave a ride height of about 550mm when new so 17mm more factory specification.

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X