• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • craka
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2009
    • Newcastle (Newie)

Re fitting hub rear hub assembly

Ok this may sound like a stupid question. So I've removed most of the suspension arms from the rear hub knuckle in order to pull out the rear passenger CV shaft, the only one I didn't remove was the toe arm.

So I had disconnected from the hub knuckle, the trailing arm, the lower control arm and the , and upper ball joint bolted connection.

Since it has been a couple weeks since I started, I have forgotten in what order I took things apart . I'm reasonably certain the last thing I disconnected was the upper ball joint connection.

I have the upper ball joint connection back in place, but can't seem to get the trailing arm back in as the knuckle is too far forward in the receiver of the arm.

I'm guessing that the lower control arm need to be back in place to get the trailing arm back in ???

Just thought I'd pose the question here, whilst I go back to working it out.
    NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.
  • Pajshomoneroguntero
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2013
    • Sydney

I recall using a ratchet strap to pull all the bits back into alignment. I may have posted with pics - will need to get back to you.
    NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Sydney

Found it: https://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum...&postcount=106
      NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• craka
        Valued Member
        • Jun 2009
        • Newcastle (Newie)

Hey thank you for the reply.

I knew about the lower control arm and having to use something like getting a ratchet strap to get it back in place.
        I got the lower control arm in position including the shock and both bolts as of last night

Just need to get the trailing arm back in position somehow, which I won't get back to until either tomorrow or next as I'm away for work again.

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2013
          • Sydney

Which connection are you having issue with? Number 3?

Build Thread

Comment

• aussieintas
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2013
            • Sorell, Tasmania

Craka is saying it's the trailing arm connection on the knuckle that is too far forward to engage into the trailing arm, so yeah will be number 3. Trying to think why the connection isn't aligned and is too far forward.

Is it as simple as the handbrake is on and thus the knuckle won't rotate into correct position for the trailing arm? After removing the driveshaft to change the diff seal, then replacing the driveshaft if the driveshaft is put back into the knuckle spline in a slightly different orientation with the handbrake on this would throw the knuckle out a touch???
            2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
            88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
            92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
            92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
            99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
            95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
            08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2013
              • Sydney

I've removed both rear hubs but months apart and months ago now. One aligned easily and I recall when doing the other, with the prejudice it would be a simple affair, I struggled for a bit to get the trailing arm into position to push the bolt through. I think it was a matter of just mucking around with the ratchet strap and the jack, plus a bit of wiggle, until it could be aligned. Once you get it you're left wondering why it was so difficult.

Build Thread

Comment

• craka
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2009
                • Newcastle (Newie)

Thanks guys it is indeed number 3. I do have the handbrake engaged, I wonder if it is that...Guess I should have had that off to begin with, don't really want to release it now whilst its up on axle stands.

Comment

• aussieintas
                  Valued Member
                  • Feb 2013
                  • Sorell, Tasmania

Originally posted by craka View Post
                  Thanks guys it is indeed number 3. I do have the handbrake engaged, I wonder if it is that...Guess I should have had that off to begin with, don't really want to release it now whilst its up on axle stands.
                  Chock the wheels all round and release it if it is safe. Otherwise you are fighting trying to turning the knuckle into correct position against the handbrake.

Previously
                  88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                  92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                  92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                  95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                  08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Scooby
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2011
                    • Ipswich, Qld.

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
                    Chock the wheels all round and release it if it is safe. Otherwise you are fighting trying to turning the knuckle into correct position against the handbrake.
                    Yep block front wheels and release slowly.
                    Without being there, it shouldn’t be a problem as the handbrake only works on the back wheels and you have had an axle out.
                    Even if the 4wd was engaged, with the axle out it has unloaded the drive line.
                    Unless you have a welded diff then maybe different.
                    Scooby, Scott, Scooter, Whatever.

Pajero 2013 NW VRX DID Auto. Basically Stock. 260k. Heavier rear springs to tow the GG’s. Automate also to tow the GG,s.

Pajero 2002 NM GLS V6 Auto. Basically stock. 375k.

Comment

• craka
                      Valued Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • Newcastle (Newie)

OK thanks seems to be the consensus that its the handbrake. I hope to get back to it tomorrow. Thanks

Comment

• craka
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Newcastle (Newie)

Woohoo. Thanks guys the hand brake cable was pulling tight. Once I released that I still couldn't quite get it but had more movement. Just threw ratchet strap around the lower control arm and got it in position.

Comment

• aussieintas
                          Valued Member
                          • Feb 2013
                          • Sorell, Tasmania

Originally posted by craka View Post
                          Woohoo. Thanks guys the hand brake cable was pulling tight. Once I released that I still couldn't quite get it but had more movement. Just threw ratchet strap around the lower control arm and got it in position.
                          Glad to help and happy you got it back together.

Previously
                          88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                          92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                          92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                          95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                          08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...