• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • WHID
    • Oct 2019
    • Melbourne

Torque Settings - (Aftermarket) Underbody Protection

I have no idea as to what the torque settings are for the bolts securing the underbody protection of my 2019 QE Sport.

Shortly after purchase, I had 3mm steel aftermarket (Boo's) protection fitted to the car. Given the extra weight, should these settings (whatever they be) be increased? (or decreased?)

I'm about to send the car off for it's 12 month/15K service and am feeling pretty wary about 'technicians' at the dealership stripping threads with their rattle guns, so I thought I might make it simple and remove the protection for them beforehand.

Upon re-installation, is there advice please as to what torque settings I should use? The same as the original, or something else?

Novice as I am, I'm becoming more and more anal with this stuff - sorry 'bout that. I'm probably subconsciously looking for an excuse to 'play' with my shiny new torque wrench.

Thank you . . . feelin' tight . . .
    Last edited by WHID; 19-10-20, 08:34 PM.
    Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*
  • JohnFromPerth
    • Mar 2018
    • Western Australia

I have Boos 3mm steel bash plates. I secure them with the bolts that held on the plastic splash guards. I put spring washers on the bolts and nip them up by hand until they are firm and compress the washers. Have had no trouble with bolts becoming loose. Don't do them up too tight as there needs to be some movement as the chassis flexes, otherwise the bolts will crack off. Some Locktight on the threads will give extra insurance.

Comment

• Keithyv
      Valued Member
      • May 2018
      • Perth

I think you are massively overthinking it.

As above, use some medium duty thread locker if you must and do up 'tight' by hand with socket set.

I dunno, 50Nm is pretty tight

Manual does not even specify torque settings for stock plates.

Side steps for example are 60Nm, probably similar 'tightness' I guess is needed there as bash plates..

2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
      MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Service Manual states 14Nm +/- 3Nm.

On my Challenger I replaced all the bolts with high tensile flange head bolts and Nord Lock washers as all other spring and vibration resistant washers failed to keep the bolts from coming loose on corrugated roads. I also believe that the bolts coming loose also increases the incidence of the mounting brackets cracking.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Dicko1
          Valued Member
          • Dec 2014
          • Cairns, FNQ

As Jack says...use Nordlok washes and high tensile bolts. Not only do the bolts carry the weight of the plate but must hold it in position if plate is hit by rock or tree stump. Mine are just done up firmly by hand until they feel right. Many years of working on cars and motorbikes gives you a feel for a bolts tightness.
          Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Jasonmc73
            Valued Member
            • Jun 2019
            • Brisbane

Originally posted by WHID View Post
            I have no idea as to what the torque settings are for the bolts securing the underbody protection of my 2019 QE Sport.

I'm about to send the car off for it's 12 month/15K service and am feeling pretty wary about 'technicians' at the dealership stripping threads with their rattle guns, so I thought I might make it simple and remove the protection for them beforehand.

Upon re-installation, is there advice please as to what torque settings I should use? The same as the original, or something else?

Novice as I am, I'm becoming more and more anal with this stuff - sorry 'bout that. I'm probably subconsciously looking for an excuse to 'play' with my shiny new torque wrench.

Thank you . . . feelin' tight . . .
            Yeah mate that's a fair idea you have, the apprentice putting your bash plates back on after he's done your service

Follow service torques, it's the size of the bolt & the fixing that determines the torque required, not the plate you have fitted.

How many people do you hear have stuffed the threads? Quite a few so not such a bad idea you have.
            Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

• DibbyDibbyDJ
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2019
              • Victoria

As usual OJ is bang on the money with 15nm, Overtightening is a big problem. The standard bolts are no good on an impact driver and the threads stretch. Then when you unwind they strip out the captive nuts. Better bolts just move the problem on to the captive nuts, causing them to fail.

MQ/MR suffer badly as there are 2 long bolts that hold the rear plate on, these have spacers on them that if you go above specified torque they crush, and get jammed into the threads, and when you try to undo the bolts tend to twist slightly

I need a mig welder to service most utes with bash plates

As a dealer we report issues like this on the R/O to advise customer and get told "no, just put them back on".

I dont know if our reception staff dont give a sh1t or it really is the customer saying that.

2024 Outlander

Diamond Technician at Main Dealer

mitsubishi-forums

Comment

• WHID
                • Oct 2019
                • Melbourne

Thanks chaps . . . all of you.

These posts answer my questions perfectly and reinforce my thinking too.

14 +/-3 Nm? . . . Wow!! My shiny new torque wrench doesn't go that low. Maybe a new one is in the offing . . . more expense *sigh*

I'm attempting to obviate having a 'horror story' such as those of which I have heard. Bad outcomes at the hands of 'technicians' are not all that uncommon - apparently.

Cheers . . . not as tight as I was . . .
                Last edited by WHID; 20-10-20, 11:02 AM.
                Paj. Sport Exceed MY2019 - 'Genuine' Tow Bar / Boo's Bash Plates / SS Hoops on an Ironman Bull Bar with Recovery Points / 7" 48W LED Driving Lights / Western Filters/Provent 200 Catch Can / at 3,400km, its first pin-stripes - *he winces*

Comment

• old Jack
                  Regular
                  • Jun 2011

I also apply anti seize to these bolts.
                  When using Nord Lock washers you can feel when a fastener is tight enough.
                  Note, there is are wrong and right way to use Nord Lock washers so make sure you use them correctly.

OJ.
                  2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Swede50
                    • Oct 2016
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                    I also apply anti seize to these bolts.
                    When using Nord Lock washers you can feel when a fastener is tight enough.
                    Note, there is are wrong and right way to use Nord Lock washers so make sure you use them correctly.

OJ.
                    In this animated video, we explain the principle behind the Nord-Lock washers. Our original wedge-locking technology secures bolted joints, even when exposed...

And I thought I knew a bit about bolts and lock washers
                    Learning something new.
                    Guess the aircraft industry would use this sort of stuff a lot.
                    Perfect for off road
                    NT '10 ARB Bar King & Koni Raid TJM Snorkel Lithium Aux, Winch Ultraguage TPMS Lockup Mate HIKEIT LRA Aux tank and lots of other stuff

Comment

• WHID
                      • Oct 2019
                      • Melbourne

. . .I replaced all the bolts with high tensile flange head bolts and Nord Lock washers as all other spring and vibration resistant washers failed to keep the bolts from coming loose . . .
                      Originally posted by Dicko1 View Post
                      ...use Nordlok washes and high tensile bolts. Not only do the bolts carry the weight of the plate but must hold it in position if plate is hit by rock or tree stump. Mine are just done up firmly by hand until they feel right.
                      As is usually the case, when I turn my hand to something it invariably becomes bigger than Texas and more complicated than a presidential vote in the same place.

Help me out please boys . . . I reckon I can access some M8 HT flange bolts and I have already purchased some Nord Lock washers. However, the washers as a standard size, won't do the job. Their outside diameter is too small to accommodate properly the flange on the bolts and the largish bolt-holes in the bash plates. I cannot buy larger ones at my source.

Can you tell me please, what size(?) washers you are using and where you accessed them? I would like to put these plates back on pronto.

By the way, I think the 'tech' at the service department was happy not to have to deal with the bash plates when accessing the underside of my Paj Sport.

Thanks again and cheers . . . becoming niftier with spanners, sockets and wrenches.
                      Last edited by WHID; 06-11-20, 07:42 PM.

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

Are Nord Lock Lard, large diameter washers too small?
                        Large Wedge Lock Washers have radial serrations on both of its surfaces which bite/interlock into mating faces. This helps prevent loosening of the fastener...

Remember there are different sides of Nord Lock washer so there is a correct way to Install them.

OJ.

Comment

• WHID
                          • Oct 2019
                          • Melbourne

Are Nord Lock Lard, large diameter washers too small? Remember there are different sides of Nord Lock washer so there is a correct way to Install them.
                          Thanks Jack, gotcha.

The penny would have to drop sooner or later. I was focussing on washers for 8mm bolts. With a flange it doesn't matter . . . 3/8 washers with an OD of 21mm will do the job admirably.

Orientation? Oh yes, have been devouring YouTube videos since your original post on this . . . I'm almost an expert. Ha ha ha!

Thanks again for your trouble. . . very much appreciated.
                          Last edited by WHID; 06-11-20, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011

Buy extra, they are reusable but I find after about 6 or so uses I can see wear on both the cam face and the serrated face, so I replace them.

OJ.

Comment

• Jasonmc73
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2019
                              • Brisbane

OJ do United Fasteners sell these in less than box full of 200?
                              Mitsubishi Pajero NX MY16 GLS with Sand Grabba floor mats, Ultragauge, Automate & Paddle gear shifters with Vlads traction control mod, Nautia switch panel, ARB compressor, Redarc Tow Pro, Anderson plug, Bushskinz front & rear alloy plates, Kaon light duty cargo barrier & rear door table

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X