• Show
Clear All
  • Captain Morgan
    • Oct 2016
    • Queensland

Spare wheel carrier HELP!!

Hello all!
    I need some serious help with what people have used to carry spare tyres
    I have a 2011 Challenger PB with a long range tank put where the spare goes. I have been trying to work out where to now put the spare;
    1. Inside - won't happen as I loose to much space
    2. Front bull bar - well it is just simply illegal now
    3. Roof - too much weight
    4. Rear bar - BINGO!!! But I am having trouble to find bars to go on the back to carry it, tried Kaymar ($3,500!!) and all others apparently don't fit. I have been thinking about fabricating myself but worry about damaging the factory bar.
    Anyway, I am sure one of you has done some research which has led to a reasonable solution, so please fire away!!!!!
  • littleriver
    Valued Member
    • Jan 2013
    • Queensland

found this on the search

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• pajeromack
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2014
      • NSW

Yeah its a tricky problem with the lift up tailgates that everyone likes these days.

Front and bonnet mounts are illegal, roof is best left for temporary use imo.

This only leaves interior and a rear bar. Short of getting one fabricated, the only production rear bar I know of is the Kaymar.

Comment

• Grimo82
        • Feb 2015
        • Sth Coast NSW

these guys may be able to assist:

Comment

• Spoonman
          • Nov 2015
          • Canberra

There is a guy on the Challenger Owners Facebook page that just recently had a rear bar/wheel carrier custom made in Queensland. Can't remember the name of the company but it was just an independent fabrication place. Bar looks really good, has twin wheel carriers and was cheaper than Kaymar.
          SOLD - 2012 PB Challenger LS Manual|BFG KO2 245/70/17|Opposite Lock Premium Bullbar|Kings Domin8r X Winch|HID Driving Lights|Ultimate Suspension Lift|Safari Snorkel|Bushskinz Intercooler and Sump Guard|Mitsubishi Towbar|Extended Diff Breathers|GME UHF|SPV EGR Mod|Provent Catch Can|Drifta Drawers

Comment

• whynot
            • Jan 2013
            • Brisbane

Do you ha e a link?
            Prado 150 petrol.
            Now gone but still have great memories of adventures - 2010 PB auto Challenger, Factory tow bar, King springs, Oztec shocks, Firestone airbags, TJM steel bar, snorkel, bash plates. Redarc brake controller, custon draws, second batery in back. Anderson plug, redarc isolator, manual circuit breaker. Towing jayco eagle outback 2005.
            Turbo replaced under warranty at 159200 klm. Engine dead at 190000 klm.

Comment

• coughy
              Valued Member
              • May 2014
              • Redlands Brisbane QLD

here is the facebook group

and the owner is josh farmer https://www.facebook.com/josh.farmer.940 of the car and
              yes there 33" tyres

the fabricators are

Jacks Diesel & Custom Fabrication
              My10 PB XLS ,Opposite lock 3 hoop black bullbar ,HID XRAY200MM Spotlights ,Uniden UHF radio,EGR off,Rear cargo barrier,Turbo Replacment and only 45K,265/70 trail climbers, 26 psi boost and 3" full turbo back custom install exhaust ,hid 35 watt driving low beam,Custom day LED running lights,dual battery kit and wiring ,105amp hour battery , 50 AMP anderson plug front and back ,raised 2" Electric Brake controller.
              New Custom Ultimate diesel tuning REMAP,custom rail limiter.

Comment

• Spoonman
                • Nov 2015
                • Canberra

That's the one, thanks coughy.
                SOLD - 2012 PB Challenger LS Manual|BFG KO2 245/70/17|Opposite Lock Premium Bullbar|Kings Domin8r X Winch|HID Driving Lights|Ultimate Suspension Lift|Safari Snorkel|Bushskinz Intercooler and Sump Guard|Mitsubishi Towbar|Extended Diff Breathers|GME UHF|SPV EGR Mod|Provent Catch Can|Drifta Drawers

Comment

• littleriver
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2013
                  • Queensland

so how's that rear view obstruction ... hopes it will be let go by the boys in blue

2012 PB Challenger LS (Manual) Safari Snorkel, OZtec shocks front & rear with King Springs (lift 2 inch) , 22 inch light bar on ECB Nudge bar, roof racks & basket, Bridgestone Duelers 697 LT A/T (116S), Uniden Dash cam, Oricom 2 way radio 80 channel, Ipod connected via glove box usb, Waeco cf50, Garmin gps (with topo), Opticoat + paint protection, Nilrust proofing, Roosystems Ecu Remap

Comment

• Spoonman
                    • Nov 2015
                    • Canberra

If you're referring to vision through the rear window, it doesn't matter. No different to having the cargo area packed up to the roof. Just need to ensure rearward vision down the sides of the vehicle isn't obstructed, which from the pictures doesn't appear to be.

Comment

• RMX
                      • Apr 2011
                      • Melbourne

While it's not a legality issue, not having any rear vision would be annoying and the wheels could easily have been mounted lower.

I also think that it would also likely look far better if they were mounted 100mm or more lower.
                      The first XROX equipped Challenger.

XROX Bar and Rock Sliders, 4" Stainless Steel Snorkel by Raslarr Engineering, 3" Lift with Dobinson MRR Remote Reservoir Shocks and Dobinson Springs, 33s, KMC HD Heist Wheels, Winch, Boo's Bash Plates, Locked, HID's, 9" & 4" LED Spotlights, Tinted, Custom Roof Console with UHF and relocated MFC, Custom rear storage with drawer, fridge slide, hard wired air compressor and 15" Rockford Fosgate subwoofer

*Click links above to be taken to each build post*

Comment

• fester
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • Gympie Qld

Originally posted by RMX View Post
                        While it's not a legality issue, not having any rear vision would be annoying and the wheels could easily have been mounted lower.

I also think that it would also likely look far better if they were mounted 100mm or more lower.
                        I'm with you on this one RMX, it annoys me not being able to see out the back. I really like to still see at least a bit of rearward vision. As much a habit thing as anything else.

Looks reasonable fab work but I would have brought them down nearly to the swingarms. They do look a little odd.

Comment

• Toddyh
                          Valued Member
                          • Nov 2013
                          • Lalor Park, NSW

I know there are some horror quotes for Kaymar bars getting around but I paid $2600 with single wheel carrier. Just bargain with them a little.
                          2010 PB LS- ARB Bull Bar, Runva 11XP winch, Cooper ST Maxx 265/70/17, Ultimate suspension lift, Bushskinz plates, Kaymar rear bar with single wheel carrier.

Comment

• Lakey
                            • Apr 2012
                            • Brisbane

Another alternative I saw on Gumtree last night: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/moora...bar/1138392410
                            Cheers
                            Lakey

2012 PB Challenger LS manual. White, tinted windows, MM towbar, Rhino Aero Sportz Bars, otherwise pretty much bog standard.

Comment

• fester
                              Valued Member
                              • Feb 2013
                              • Gympie Qld

Personally I am not a fan of those, You have to make sure they have a really firm fit in the towbar receiver or they fan move around quite a bit.

the couple of better made US ones have a taper lock system to clamp them in tight and I can't see that in those pics but I still don't like those styles either.

and their no good them if you still want to tow. I certainly wouldn't tow with one.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X