• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ranger J
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Perth, Western Australia

I'm buying myself a bloody bicycle.

A 5min drive to the shops costs me more in fuel, than it does in bread and milk.
    NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

• AJC
      Valued Member
      • Sep 2009
      • ACT

Originally posted by schnitzel View Post
      You would be surprised, Australia actually uses far more diesel than petrol, it is only in the city that service stations actually sell more petrol than diesel, and then sales through these make up only 25% of the fuel sold in Australia.

And yes I do know what I am talking about as i run a fuel distributors, also need to factor in a large percentage of our ultra low sulphur diesel is refined in Japan and the picture gets a little clearer.
      Definately am surprised but happy to be enlightened! I appreciate our heavy vehcile fleets - delivery and semis, buses and coaches, farming + stationary motors, mining etc are primarliy diesel, and probably fishing boats and numerous other industries; however i'd read stuff to the effect the petrol motorist fleet chewed up more dinosuar juice? Either way, i think the underlying issues is demand out of Asia for diesel pushes it up in our region regardless.
      Gone: 2004 21st Anniversary NP DiD Auto with 215ks, EcoShot diesel gas, bullbar, drive lights, snorkel, UHF, 2nd battery + Redarc isolator & wired for fridge + trailer Anderson plug, Mits 2.5 ton towbar, Lovell 50mm HD springs + shocks + Polyairbags, torque converter lock-up.

Selling some touring kit - see Marketplace

Arrived: 2011 Discovery 4 2.7 TDV6 - The difference is amazing... Paj definitely designed in the 1990s and at a lower price point!

Comment

• sharkcaver
        "2000"+ Valued Contributor
        • May 2009
        • Perth

Originally posted by Ranger J View Post
        I'm buying myself a bloody bicycle.
        A bloody long trek on a bike to go up north

Alright for bread and milk though

Shane.
        MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• rotare
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2007

Without sounding flippant, a mate and I had a discussion on the weekend of the ever spiralling cost of everything...... fuel, electricity, water, taxes, school fees, fresh food, tyres....

The more my mate discussed it, the more depressed and worried he became.

The reality is everything will continue to become more expensive overtime. We're all in the same boat as it effects everyone in the same way.

Personally, if I spent all day worrying about what will be the next commodity to jump up in price, I'd be a trembling wreck, curled up in a fetal position sucking my thumb. No point in worrying about something you have no control over. Just be prepared that things will increase in cost, rather than be surprised when they do.
          Last edited by rotare; 04-04-11, 04:10 PM.
          2013 NW VRX

Comment

• dean
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007

Yep agree, it's a pain but there's no point worrying about the price of fuel as it's out of our control.
            It always goes up around this time of year and heading into winter.
            My biggest hit from memory was at Mt. Dare a couple of years ago. 160L @ $2.20 a litre, you do the sums. Throw in a few beers and pies and there was little change from $400.
            Dean
            NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• Pearcie
              BushSkinz 4x4
              • Nov 2007
              • Wattagans

Have to agree with you there Dean, we must have been in Mt Dare at a similar time. Fortunately I only needed to put in 50L or so.

Fuel costs between 149.9 and 154.9 for Diesel around here so costs me about $180-$200 per week in fuel. But at the end of the day compared to 6-9 months ago at 129.9 its only an extra $25 per week for me so for most house holds who do half the kms its only $12 a week even with other costs going up $30 extra per week is nothing really. Just have to say no to something the Mrs wants once a week and you save more then enough to make up for it

Cheers,
              Kieron
              2012 Holden RG Colorado LX 2.8L Auto "Rad Rado"
              Snorkel, Bilstein & Kings 50mm Lift, Custom Sliders, BushSkinz Underbody Protection, UHF, ARB Compressor, Ironman Bull Bar, Ironman 9500lb Rope Winch, Ironman HID Spotties, BFG KM2 Muddies.

Retired: NS Pajero Exceed 3.8L

Retired: NS SWB X DiD "The BushSkinz lil Paj"

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9928

Retired: NM Pajero 3.5L

www.bushskinz4x4.com.au[/SIZE]

Comment

• Ranger J
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2007
                • Perth, Western Australia

Originally posted by rotare View Post
                Without sounding flippant, a mate and I had a discussion on the weekend of the ever spiralling cost of everything...... fuel, electricity, water, taxes, school fees, fresh food, tyres....

The more my mate discussed it, the more depressed and worried he became.
                Yep, but we still have it very lucky/easy compared to other parts of the world.
                NP GLS DID Auto: ARB Bar, Warn XD9000, Rear ARB Locker, Dobinsons, Bilsteins, 33" BFG MT's, 61Lt Sub Tank, Striker 170's, Dual Batts, etc. etc. etc.

Comment

• schnitzel
                  Valued Member
                  • Dec 2009
                  • Bendigo

Originally posted by outbackogre View Post
                  This reminds me of something else I recently noted on a servo cents/litre board - a price for truck diesel and a different price for car diesel. Is the diesel any different (eg. sulphur, etc) or is it marketing spin?

No it is the same fuel, is normally the independents who offer a discount to the trucks of 1 or 2 c per litre which they are taking out of their margin. They are working on a sale on average of over 500 litres compared to a car at 45 litres. Takes the same amount of labour to sell both so cost per litre for a large customer is in theory lower.
                  Personally dont think it works overalll as it puts the car driver offside as he thinks he is being ripped off as he needs to pay more.
                  Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• schnitzel
                    Valued Member
                    • Dec 2009
                    • Bendigo

Originally posted by AJC View Post
                    Definately am surprised but happy to be enlightened! I appreciate our heavy vehcile fleets - delivery and semis, buses and coaches, farming + stationary motors, mining etc are primarliy diesel, and probably fishing boats and numerous other industries; however i'd read stuff to the effect the petrol motorist fleet chewed up more dinosuar juice? Either way, i think the underlying issues is demand out of Asia for diesel pushes it up in our region regardless.

It is the overall use, as you said includes transport, mining, shipping, farming and a host of industry.
                    the motoring groups tend to only look at sales through the bowsers and call that the usage of fuel. far more fuel never sees a bowser than does, hence the discrepancy. And yes the demand in Asia and europe is far higher than it ever has been before.
                    Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• Pearcie
                      BushSkinz 4x4
                      • Nov 2007
                      • Wattagans

Could of been Vortex Diesel as opposed to truck diesel. There is a 2 cent price difference between these. Caltex on the F3 has this pricing I don't know much about it but I believe the Vortex Diesel has an additive in it that the Truck Diesel doesn't, either way I am sure it is spelled out on the Caltex website.

Never found a servo which offers a discount publicly (on a sign) for Truck diesel as opposed to standard car Diesel, which is the same fuel. Discounts for Trucks etc are all done through there fleet cards not through public signs.

Cheers,
                      Kieron
                      2012 Holden RG Colorado LX 2.8L Auto "Rad Rado"
                      Snorkel, Bilstein & Kings 50mm Lift, Custom Sliders, BushSkinz Underbody Protection, UHF, ARB Compressor, Ironman Bull Bar, Ironman 9500lb Rope Winch, Ironman HID Spotties, BFG KM2 Muddies.

Retired: NS Pajero Exceed 3.8L

Retired: NS SWB X DiD "The BushSkinz lil Paj"

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9928

Retired: NM Pajero 3.5L

www.bushskinz4x4.com.au[/SIZE]

Comment

• outbackogre
                        Valued Member
                        • Jul 2010
                        • Melbourne

Originally posted by Pearcie View Post
                        Could of been Vortex Diesel as opposed to truck diesel. Cheers, Kieron
                        Kieron, I think that's what it was. Cheers.
                        My friends call me Rob; you can call me .... Rob.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------
                        MY12 NW GL DiD auto. 2" MD Lovells/Bilstein lift. Bushskinz underbody protection. Home made rear platform with sliding boxes above and lots of space underneath.

Comment

• schnitzel
                          Valued Member
                          • Dec 2009
                          • Bendigo

Could of been Vortex Diesel as opposed to truck diesel. There is a 2 cent price difference between these. Caltex on the F3 has this pricing I don't know much about it but I believe the Vortex Diesel has an additive in it that the Truck Diesel doesn't, either way I am sure it is spelled out on the Caltex website.

Never found a servo which offers a discount publicly (on a sign) for Truck diesel as opposed to standard car Diesel, which is the same fuel. Discounts for Trucks etc are all done through there fleet cards not through public signs.

Cheers,
                          Kieron
                          Some of the smaller truck stops still do it but the sign is normally in the truck dining area or on the High flow pump away from the general public but agree is not a common practice anymore, and yes the major fleets all get a volume discount through their fuelcards.

In regards to the vortex and Ultimate diesel there is more to it than a different additive pack, these newer diesels Vortex ( caltex) and Ultimate ( BP) ( shell also has ne but dont know what they call it)actually have a higher cetane rating than standard diesel. Best way of explaining it is, unleaded fuel has a 91 octane rating and Premium unleaded has a 95 octane rating, well in diesel terms Octane is called cetane, so like premium fuel more energy is released with the higher rating which normally translate to better performance and often better fuel economy.

I have used it when it was in trial mode and wish I could still get it as the improvement in both power and economy was there after i had used 3 or 4 tanks of it, was very little difference for the first couple of tanks though.

Comment

• rebelone607
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2009
                            • Urunga NSW

Originally posted by sharkcaver View Post
                            I'm estimating a bill around 4K for 15000Km's over 6 weeks Better start saving now!

Currently $1.70 - $1.78 in Derby. Fuel planning will be crucial to cost savings on this trip.

Shane.
                            Hi Shane, yep reckon that will be fairly close to the mark IMO. Last May I budgeted $300 / thousand ks. and the fuel bill ended up being somewhere about the three grand for the 11,000ks I did for the trip which was pretty close to the mark.
                            Merv
                            Merv. 2011 Dmax LSU auto Auto. Canopy and tow pack, Al. bull bar and winch, cargo drawers, dual battery, canopy racks with support bars, tub liner, in dash nav system, t.p.m.s. Tough dog 45mm lift and upgrade, uhf, Long Ranger fuel tank, MAL Powerchip
                            Other toys:19' Jayco Starcraft o/b caravan, 4.75 mtr Quintrex Bay Hunter boat. 3.7 mtr tinny

I plan on living forever - so far so good

Comment

• rebelone607
                              Valued Member
                              • Dec 2009
                              • Urunga NSW

Have to agree with you there Dean, we must have been in Mt Dare at a similar time. Fortunately I only needed to put in 50L or so.

Fuel costs between 149.9 and 154.9 for Diesel around here so costs me about $180-$200 per week in fuel. But at the end of the day compared to 6-9 months ago at 129.9 its only an extra $25 per week for me so for most house holds who do half the kms its only $12 a week even with other costs going up $30 extra per week is nothing really. Just have to say no to something the Mrs wants once a week and you save more then enough to make up for it

Cheers,
                              Kieron
                              Yeh and then she says no to something you mighjt want once a week
                              Merv
                              Merv. 2011 Dmax LSU auto Auto. Canopy and tow pack, Al. bull bar and winch, cargo drawers, dual battery, canopy racks with support bars, tub liner, in dash nav system, t.p.m.s. Tough dog 45mm lift and upgrade, uhf, Long Ranger fuel tank, MAL Powerchip
                              Other toys:19' Jayco Starcraft o/b caravan, 4.75 mtr Quintrex Bay Hunter boat. 3.7 mtr tinny

I plan on living forever - so far so good

Comment

• rotare
                                Valued Member
                                • Nov 2007

I wonder, when the Euro winter ends and the demand for oil sees the price per barrel of oil drop 20-30% of its current price, whether we will see a 20-30% drop in diesel fuel prices. Especially considering our dollar is predicted to be remain above parity with the US dollar for a while yet.

My bet is we will be lucky to see a 5% drop in the pump price, and I'm sure the oil companies will come up with some other innovative reason why we should continue to pay high pump prices, when logically it should be at it's cheapest.....
                                2013 NW VRX

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X