• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

130AMP SSB AGM Report

Went away over Easter and used my 2 x 130amp SSB agm batteries to run my Engel 40 litre fridge for 5 days and nights as a freezer. Turned it on and set at amximum...-18.5 was on temp gauge continuously. Fridge ran nearly non stop. Night temp was down to 23 and day temp around 30 degrees. Had a roof mounted solar that I used but not really efficient as I left car where I parked it and was in shade a hell of a lot. Gauge showed about 50-52 amps per day used.

When I got home, I unpacked and placed the batteries on a 25 amp Projecta charger and let it do its thing. After a few hoursthey were in a full state of charge.

Now for the good bit...

I let them rest for an hour then plugged in fridge for 5 minutes to get rid of surface charge.

Batteries were showing this..

98% charged as expected

750 CCa from a possible 1000CCA (When brand new) CCA not really relevant for a camping battery and I doubt that when new it was 1000CCA anyways.

Internal resistance was 3.84ohms excellent figure means no internal break down occuring

Now these batteries only weigh 32kg so I reckon 105 amps/hrs would be closer to their real world figures

I was extremely pleased with these figures as I was unsure how the batteries would be holding up. I put these in the tub of the NW on 1-8-2016. So 32 months old and very little degradation. I know others have bought them as well. Has anyone checked their batteries to see how they are faring.

By the way ..I really do look after my batteries. Monthly charges on a 240volt multi stage charger really helps PLUS NEVER take them below 12.2 volts (with a load on).
    Last edited by Dicko1; 23-04-19, 09:02 AM. Reason: adjusted amp hour rating
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

I had a starter battery failure, so did some testing on the new one to create a baseline for future measurements. At the same time, I thought I should test my 3 year old SSB 105Ah in the rear tub. Wow, was I surprised.

This battery has been well used (even as a start battery when the old one failed 2000K's from home on a trip) and used heavilly, at least 40 nights a year for the last 3 years. And it still tests like new.

gotta be happy with that.
    Attached Files
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• RUGGA
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2014
      • Adelaide

This is a great review idea Dicko and thanks Shane
      02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
      Working...
      X