X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • morton58
    • May 2008

Carrying extra diesel

How do you guys carry extra diesel on your long trips. Doing the big lap Adelaide - Katherine - Kimberleys - Perth - Adelaide from June to Sept towing an off-road Windsor rapid. Don't want to spend ridiculous money on an aux fuel tank, thinking of a couple of 20l jerries on the cargo rack on the top, any suggestions?
    06 NP Exceed DID, Bridgestone Dueler 697 AT LT265/65/17s', ARB Dual Battery Tray - 75 AH First Start AGM 2nd battery, Redarc Isolator,TJM Airtec Snorkel, Mits Nudge bar, Roo Lites, Mits Roof Racks, RoofRackWorld Explorer Steel Mesh Roof Tray,Bushskinz Intercooler/Sump Guards, Icom IC-440 UHF, 47 Litre ARB Fridge, Anderson Plug at rear. Lovell's 2" raised HD Springs, KYB Skorched 4s' Shocks, Firestone Airbags .
  • DaveE66
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2010
    • Mannum SA

Extra Fuel

Hi Morton58

I have a off road camper trailer with jerry can holders and no long range tank. Last couple of trips I took 3 jerry cans and had more than I needed. I have also purchased 2 more holders which I will mount on each side of the tool box. As much as I would like a long range tank. I cant justify the expense at this point.
    Do you have the facility to mount jerry's on your van. I wouldnt put fuel inside the vehicle. Couple of mates put a jerry or two on their roof racks on long trips and have no issues. We all use the metal cans.

Dave
    NS DiD VRX, ARB Steel Bar, Roo Lites, Safari Snorkel, GME UHF, 2" Lift, Poly Airs, Dual Batteries, Cooper Tyres, Ecu remap, 3inch exhaust, Imax 12000lb Winch,

Comment

• psproule
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Googong, NSW

I wouldn't call an Aux tank ridiculous money. If you can fit it yourself it can be done for as little as $1,400. After our fridge I rate it as the second best accessory we ever bought. It's just so convenient. And given that this tank has been fitted to two NM's and now our NP I think we got our $$$ worth out of it. GIven the money you would have spent on setting up the rest of your touring rig maybe reconsider?

But re Jerries - I wouldn't carry them on the roof. Diesel inside the vehicle in a well sealed can is OK. Perhaps in the under-floor storage with the seat out? Only room for one though.
      2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
      2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• jcd
        • Jan 2008
        • Gold Coast

I also think an Auxiliary tank is a worthwhile addition if you are going to be doing a lot of remote touring, especially if like me you have a SWB Paj which only has a 69 litre tank. It carries your extra fuel (diesel in my case) securely and conveniently. On a recent trip across the Anne Beadel highway I was able to go from Coober Pedy to Ilkurlka Roadhouse, roughly 800 km using about 120 litres and having about 15 litres to spare in both tanks. I also carried a spare jerry can strapped down in the car and had no worries with leaks or odours.
        Probably the best and cheapest way for you carry your extra fuel would be to do it on whatever you are towing, as that keeps the weight off the roof of the car.

Bye Jeff.
        NS Pajero SWB R, Diesel, Automatic, BFG AT/KO's, AirTech Snorkel, LRA Auxillary Tank, Dual Batteries, Thule Aerobars & Roof Box.

Comment

• morton58
          • May 2008

Thanks for the input guys. I agree about the aux tank being worthwhile but I'd probably have to get someone to install so the price is around $1800, too much for me as this addition is only needed on the very few occasions when we go remote. Can probably put 1 jerrycan on the A-frame on the van and probably 2 10L containers on the roof - 40L will help us out while we are on our big trip I think.
          06 NP Exceed DID, Bridgestone Dueler 697 AT LT265/65/17s', ARB Dual Battery Tray - 75 AH First Start AGM 2nd battery, Redarc Isolator,TJM Airtec Snorkel, Mits Nudge bar, Roo Lites, Mits Roof Racks, RoofRackWorld Explorer Steel Mesh Roof Tray,Bushskinz Intercooler/Sump Guards, Icom IC-440 UHF, 47 Litre ARB Fridge, Anderson Plug at rear. Lovell's 2" raised HD Springs, KYB Skorched 4s' Shocks, Firestone Airbags .

Comment

• MTB
            • Jan 2010
            • Brisbane North

What abot 10L Jerry Cans?

On a recent trip with a tag-a-long tour company to the victorian High Country, I had to carry 150L of petrol to meet the company's requitrements. I did this with 4 x 10L Jerrys on the roof and a mate carried an extra 2 for me.

The 10L size worked well as they were easy to handle (on and off). I could ratchet strap them down without them moving and as soon as there was enough free space in the tank, I topped it up with one or two Jerrys from the roof.

I filled them at the last possible moment and used them ASAP. I had no issues with the car feeling unstable and cracked the seal slightly after use so that they could "breathe". I also took it easy when the 40L was up there as a precaution.

The (very experienced) tour guide said that the best place to carry Jerry cans is inside rather than the roof racks, if you can. He said that it is safer and has never seen any fuel vapour issues inside the cabin. ?????? Still not sure and with 2 small kids, I prefer to have it outside.

Having said all of that, I would love to have an auxiliary tank and not have to worry about Jerry cans at all. Just need to justify the cost (about 2K because I cannot self fit, including certification in Qld) at this time.

My 2c anyway. Cheers, Mark
            2003 NP GLX 3.8 V6 Auto (01/10), factory alloy bar, cargo barrier (03/10), sump & tranny guards (04/10), rock sliders, duel batts and SD Lovells/Billes combo with poly's and 40L Engel (08/10) - Cape York (09/11)

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

OK, it's not diesel, but it is about extra fuel.

I put in my body lift so I could have a long range tank made larger. 33's was an added benefit.

The tank is (was?) about 120 litres - it's got a few dents now, and I'm not sure how much capacity it may have lost. For me, I wanted the extra weight as low as possible, so under the floor is better than on the roof. This is the result:

It was a significant investment, but I look at that photo and have no doubt it was money well spent.

To do the Simpson, I carried one 20L jerry can inside the cab, and didn't need it - used 95 litres from Mt Dare to Birdsville. I doubt I'd make the Anne Beadell, although I think they now have BP Opal available 2/3 across?

If I really need more range I can add an auxiliary - made to suit the body lift, that should be another 50 - 60 litres. All up, total capacity would be most as good as a stock 120 Prado.
              NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Silver Streak
                Valued Member
                • May 2010
                • Adelaide. South Aust.

Ask a stupid question here, with these aux tanks you get fitted, how do they work?? Does the fuel get pumped, or is it gravity feed, from the aux tank to the main tank, as the fuel level goes down, in the main tank? or do you physically switch from one tank to the other, when needed? In which case, do you have a fuel gauge for both tanks??
                Cheers, Tony.

Silver Streak.

2010 NT (Nov) Platinum Pajero, DiD auto, Iron Bark.
                Factory Tow-bar, Colour coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Hankook Dynopro RT03 MT Tyres, 265/R70x17, Bilstein/Lovell HD 2" lift kit, Bushskinz underbody protection plates, Navar Blue 225's, TJM Airtec Snorkel, Tinted Pajero Bonnet Protector, Uniden UH7750NB UHF-CB, Rhino Rack Sunseeker ll Awning (2.5m x 2m), Full Tint + UV film on privacy glass, Dash Mat, Techniice 60ltr Fridge/Freezer.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                  "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                  • May 2009
                  • Perth

For mine, there is a fuel guage for the Aux, not that accurate. And its not direct feed, its a transfer pump into the main. Just transfer via the pump into the main when you have used about 60L.There is a cheaper alternative, various size poly tanks to be carried internally. At present I'm at work and cant find the link, but I'll edit this post when home to show you what I mean. Aprox $200 V'S $2K for a steel external. I have both!

Shane.

EDIT: For some reason the post I put on this forum (bout 12 months ago) is now no longer for some reason so I can not attach : EDIT
                  Last edited by sharkcaver; 15-01-11, 03:12 PM.
                  MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• psproule
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Googong, NSW

Originally posted by Silver Streak View Post
                    Ask a stupid question here, with these aux tanks you get fitted, how do they work?? Does the fuel get pumped, or is it gravity feed, from the aux tank to the main tank, as the fuel level goes down, in the main tank? or do you physically switch from one tank to the other, when needed? In which case, do you have a fuel gauge for both tanks??
                    In the case of the LRA fitted to mine a transfer pump transfers the fuel from the Aux tank to the main tank via an inline filter and pump. You simply switch it on from the cabin. I transfer the fuel progressively so as to keep the weight forward. The switch has an integral gauge for the rear tank. Both tanks share a single filler neck so if you overfill the front tank it simply runs over the top and back into the rear tank again.

Pat
                    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
                    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• Herman4x4
                      Valued Member
                      • Oct 2009
                      • Melton, Victoria

I had a mate who took the back seats out and made a bo out of ply or MDF, then put the jerries in there. He padded abount each can to protect from rubbing causing possible leakage.
                      Cheers,
                      Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
                      Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• Pajero_Pete
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2008
                        • Adelaide Hills

I've mentioned this before ........... but I'll do it again to see if I receive any differing feedback.

What about a properly designed diesel (boat) deck flexible tank ? in the third seat well ?? ( one type by Turtle pac. )
                        PP
                        Great little Io then NL dual fuel then my first DiD NP followed by an NS DiD and now an NT RX DiD in the shed

Comment

• sharkcaver
                          "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                          • May 2009
                          • Perth

Have you seen these???

Enmach has been Australia's leader in the design and manufacture of high end Cone Bottom Tanks and Poly Silos for over 30 years.

look at the RV section.

I have the DPRV60, my plan was to mount behind the front seat. Far cheaper than an aux tank, but you have to store internally and that is at the sacrifice of carrying extra gear. I once had it for sale on the forum, but now I reckon it will be awesome if mounted in a camper on those longer remote trips.

P.P, any idea what size tank you could get to fit in that space and how that space would handle the weight?

Shane.
                          Attached Files
                          MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X