Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Giving them a Rap!

Giving them a Rap! Had a good experience with a business. Praise them here!

Old 6 Days Ago

Default Zupps Mitsubishi Aspley

Might be a little contentious and others may have had different experience but I'd like to give a rap to my local Mitsubishi dealer at Zupps, Aspley (absolutely no affiliation and this is an unsolicited review).

I bought my new Pajero NX there in June 2019.

For 6 months prior to purchase I had been considering different vehicles and had been researching all contenders. I had learnt as much as I possibly could about the Pajero NX so that when I talked to dealers, I could test their product knowledge as well as see just how much BS they might spin.

I came up with my own technique for purchasing this vehicle, which I won't go in to here, but it meant that I had talked to the Zupps salesman a month earlier when I first started getting prices and sussing out the different deals and dealerships. With most others I had no intention to even call them after initial contact. I think some dealers are just not aware of how crucial that initial contact is with buyers that they let some douchebag roam the car yard sleezing up to potential customers. My god, one of the salesman at a dealer in the Redcliffe area was just a total f'wit that I felt compelled to tell his principle but my wife told me it was their problem not mine. Fortunately the Zupps dealer was not one of those and I was happy to go back to discuss a deal with him.

The purchase - The salesman, has been there for more than ten years, didn't hard sell and didn't spin too much BS (that I could detect). Like me, he knew that his price was as competitive as any other dealer and that, as this is a new vehicle with no accessories, the only real difference is which dealer I buy from. When I finally bought the Paj GLS I managed to get a few more dollars off and brought it down to under $48,000 with 12 months reg and full tank fuel and this was very competitive at the time - although they possibly went cheaper during early COVID. I couldn't speak for the other salesman at Zupps but this particular fella was very good to deal with. Plus, rather than picking a "new" model off the showroom floor that had been test driven he was happy to get another from their holding yard which had less than 10km on the odo. In hindsight this might have been my first mistake...

The first month - Within the first week I had noticed a vibration at certain speeds. It felt like the wheels/tyres had a problem. I had the tyres balanced at an independent but it was still there. At the end of the first month I took it back to Zupps for it's 1,500km checkup and suggested the tyres might be out of round from sitting in their yard with underinflated tyres (I'd had this experience 15 years ago). During the checkup they confirmed this and swapped all tyres and (I assume rims) and it was fixed. No BS, no arguing, no excuses - just replaced them. They also gave the front rotors a slight machine as they detected some uneven surface - this might have been the second mistake.

The first service - just after its first service this year (approx. 10,000km on odo) i mentioned the rotors had a bit of vibration when braking at highway speed. I dropped it in to them, they agreed the rotors did not meet specs (maybe the previous machining contributed to or didn't fix the problem) and they checked with Mitsubishi who approved new rotors. When I dropped it back for the work I asked them to follow up with Mitsubishi for new pads also (even though these only had done 10,000km) and they did, with Mitsubishi approving those also. No arguments, no complaints.

At 50 years old and on about my 20th vehicle, ranging from sedans, wagons, 4wds etc. I have a fair experience with buying cars and talking to car salesmen which is why I went in to this purchase fully prepared. No emotional element - purely financial.

Perhaps Zupps Aspley could have done a couple of things a little better, such as test drive the vehicle before I picked it up with out of round tyres and replace the rotors originally rather than machine them, but I get why they didn't.

My experience with Zupps, Aspley, also my local Mitsubishi dealer so it is handy, has been pleasant to-date and I hope it continues. They have had plenty of opportunities to piss me off (which is not difficult) but they haven't yet so credit to them. I am not looking forward to the future servicing costs so there may be some tension when I have to discuss, is it the 60k and $1800 service?, but we'll cross that bridge then.

If things change then I'll drop back to this thread and update it.
Old 6 Days Ago
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixie_au View Post
Might be a little contentious and others may have had different experience but I'd like to give a rap to my local Mitsubishi dealer at Zupps, Aspley (absolutely no affiliation and this is an unsolicited review).

I bought my new Pajero NX there in June 2019.

For 6 months prior to purchase I had been considering different vehicles and had been researching all contenders. I had learnt as much as I possibly could about the Pajero NX so that when I talked to dealers, I could test their product knowledge as well as see just how much BS they might spin.

I came up with my own technique for purchasing this vehicle, which I won't go in to here, but it meant that I had talked to the Zupps salesman a month earlier when I first started getting prices and sussing out the different deals and dealerships. With most others I had no intention to even call them after initial contact. I think some dealers are just not aware of how crucial that initial contact is with buyers that they let some douchebag roam the car yard sleezing up to potential customers. My god, one of the salesman at a dealer in the Redcliffe area was just a total f'wit that I felt compelled to tell his principle but my wife told me it was their problem not mine. Fortunately the Zupps dealer was not one of those and I was happy to go back to discuss a deal with him.

The purchase - The salesman, has been there for more than ten years, didn't hard sell and didn't spin too much BS (that I could detect). Like me, he knew that his price was as competitive as any other dealer and that, as this is a new vehicle with no accessories, the only real difference is which dealer I buy from. When I finally bought the Paj GLS I managed to get a few more dollars off and brought it down to under $48,000 with 12 months reg and full tank fuel and this was very competitive at the time - although they possibly went cheaper during early COVID. I couldn't speak for the other salesman at Zupps but this particular fella was very good to deal with. Plus, rather than picking a "new" model off the showroom floor that had been test driven he was happy to get another from their holding yard which had less than 10km on the odo. In hindsight this might have been my first mistake...

The first month - Within the first week I had noticed a vibration at certain speeds. It felt like the wheels/tyres had a problem. I had the tyres balanced at an independent but it was still there. At the end of the first month I took it back to Zupps for it's 1,500km checkup and suggested the tyres might be out of round from sitting in their yard with underinflated tyres (I'd had this experience 15 years ago). During the checkup they confirmed this and swapped all tyres and (I assume rims) and it was fixed. No BS, no arguing, no excuses - just replaced them. They also gave the front rotors a slight machine as they detected some uneven surface - this might have been the second mistake.

The first service - just after its first service this year (approx. 10,000km on odo) i mentioned the rotors had a bit of vibration when braking at highway speed. I dropped it in to them, they agreed the rotors did not meet specs (maybe the previous machining contributed to or didn't fix the problem) and they checked with Mitsubishi who approved new rotors. When I dropped it back for the work I asked them to follow up with Mitsubishi for new pads also (even though these only had done 10,000km) and they did, with Mitsubishi approving those also. No arguments, no complaints.

At 50 years old and on about my 20th vehicle, ranging from sedans, wagons, 4wds etc. I have a fair experience with buying cars and talking to car salesmen which is why I went in to this purchase fully prepared. No emotional element - purely financial.

Perhaps Zupps Aspley could have done a couple of things a little better, such as test drive the vehicle before I picked it up with out of round tyres and replace the rotors originally rather than machine them, but I get why they didn't.

My experience with Zupps, Aspley, also my local Mitsubishi dealer so it is handy, has been pleasant to-date and I hope it continues. They have had plenty of opportunities to piss me off (which is not difficult) but they haven't yet so credit to them. I am not looking forward to the future servicing costs so there may be some tension when I have to discuss, is it the 60k and $1800 service?, but we'll cross that bridge then.

If things change then I'll drop back to this thread and update it.
In my opinion

Sounds like you struck a workshop manager that does his job properly & puts it to the wholesaler whom is backing the product.
His value is unmeasurable to Zupps in my opinion as sales sells the 1st unit & then spares & service do the rest in most ways.

Sounds like his good at his job so shouldn't be any tension with service costs an informed customer has nothing to be tense about really.

If not happy with the cost & you already know what it will cost, no tension required, can just make other arrangements.

I was a pre-delivery fitter for Zupp's Aspley 22 years ago actually .

They use to remind us monthly, to us "it's just another car" but to the owner it's probably his second biggest assett & pride & joy after his house. I still use this with workshop staff now, as its correct in my opinion, i'm in sales these days, not cars.