• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SkipperRLII
    • Jan 2017
    • Narangba Qld

Chip or Remap

Hi team,
    I dare say this may very well have been covered already but having trouble finding any old posts.

Chips and Remaps ??? my heads swimming. looking for what some call the "Touring and Towing" setting. Yep there is plenty of info on the web, but I'm leaning towards too much info, and all claim that their product is far better than their competitors.

Any advice on what to get? doesn't have to be a budget pack, just looking for something that actually does the job with good results and doesn't jeopardize the engine itself.

Sorry if it's an old topic, but thanks for any advice.
  • NTX
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2010
    • Niddrie, Melbourne.

Would be good to hear from somebody that has had a Roo Systems remap, but they sound pretty damn good. I get the feeling most are going the remap path these days. It makes sense to me that turbo and fuel are adjusted, not just fuel. https://roosystems.com.au/shop/ecu-r...u-and-exhaust/

If I was in the market, I reckon this is the way I would go.
    2009 NT Pajero. SWB X ARB Sahara bar. Xray HID converted Spot lights. Mickey Thompson STZ 265/60 R18. Unicorn Performance upgraded Intercooler. NP 16" rims under house, still no rubber! Rhino sports racks and Rhino aluminium basket and bag.

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
      • May 2017
      • Freo ish

Originally posted by NTX View Post
      Would be good to hear from somebody that has had a Roo Systems remap, but they sound pretty damn good. I get the feeling most are going the remap path these days. It makes sense to me that turbo and fuel are adjusted, not just fuel. https://roosystems.com.au/shop/ecu-r...u-and-exhaust/

If I was in the market, I reckon this is the way I would go.
      The only person I know to have had a Roo systems remap was bitterly disappointed with both the service and results. From my recollection his interaction with RS was pretty awful.
      I won't go into too many details but I would not use them for anything even if it was free of charge.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• DrewXT
        • Mar 2014
        • Melbourne

One of my mates is a tuner, and I've heard nothing but great things about his work, and I'm very happy with what he did to my truck

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Comment

• letsgoplaces
          • Jul 2014
          • Adelaide

I knew I didn't want to chip, so started researching remapping.
          I was wandering around the caravan and camping show and went past the Roo Systems booth. Had a chat with the guy, worked out a price and 30 minutes later it was done.
          Haven't had to deal with them since, so can't comment on back up service.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
            • May 2017
            • Freo ish

Product test | Unichip Q4 | 4X4 Australia
            It’s not the cheapest chip on the block, but the Unichip lets you tune your engine on the fly for better performance in almost any situation.

Comment

• starjunk
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2011
              • Sydney

Originally posted by letsgoplaces View Post
              I knew I didn't want to chip, so started researching remapping.
              I was wandering around the caravan and camping show and went past the Roo Systems booth. Had a chat with the guy, worked out a price and 30 minutes later it was done.
              Haven't had to deal with them since, so can't comment on back up service.
              Can I ask why you didn't want to chip? Curious because I have been 'researching' pros and cons myself.....
              '92 NH GLS LWB 3.0V6 A/T ...sold Please DON'T consider
              '06 NP VR-X LWB Turbo Diesel Sports A/T..sold Please consider
              '96 NJ GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T..sold . Loved that car
              '08 NS GLX LWB Turbo Diesel M/T...daily driver. Wake up and Drive!

Comment

• qball
                • Feb 2015
                • sydney

Steve Hunt from TME in Springwood NSW now tunes Pajero (and Triton)
                His manual NT with all terrain tyres went from 110kw @ wheels 398Nm torque to 142kw & 508Nm with his. I don't know where your located but he's a very experience and good tuner. If I had the money that's where I'd be heading
                2010 NT Pajero Activ Ironbark
                Manual with ECB 'Big Tube' bull bar

Comment

• zoom
                  • Apr 2017
                  • Sydney

When I had my NS remapped the tuner recorded many different readouts and took theses readings into consideration before he customer tuned the NS .He also reset and did 3 or 4 mini relearns on things like SCV before he downloaded the custom tune . The tuner said chips are a one size fits all and its impossible to get the very best from a chip alone . Sort of makes sense to me

Comment

• Gus
                    Administrator
                    • Mar 2008
                    • Traralgon. Vic

After 12mths research on which way to go remap or chip!

Went with UniChip Q4 with 5 map settings [emoji106]
                    Main reason They live tune to your vehicle. i.e. My Cruisers Tare after all mods is 3.2ton. Most remaps are a generic tune. But what sold me was the fact I can remove with no sign of it ever being on the vehicle [emoji106] Also any factory updates/reflash will not effect it..

[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
                    NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• starjunk
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2011
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by qball View Post
                      His manual NT with all terrain tyres went from 110kw @ wheels 398Nm torque to 142kw & 508Nm with his. I don't know where your located but he's a very experience and good tuner. If I had the money that's where I'd be heading
                      I get out that way every now and then... Might call him for a chat. Thanks!

Comment

• starjunk
                        Valued Member
                        • Mar 2011
                        • Sydney

Originally posted by Gus View Post
                        After 12mths research on which way to go remap or chip!

Went with UniChip Q4 with 5 map settings [emoji106]
                        Main reason They live tune to your vehicle. i.e. My Cruisers Tare after all mods is 3.2ton. Most remaps are a generic tune. But what sold me was the fact I can remove with no sign of it ever being on the vehicle [emoji106] Also any factory updates/reflash will not effect it..

[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I must admit I like the idea of being able to select different maps for different applications.... Which obviously can't be achieved with a remap, only with a chip.
                        Thanks for the input.
                        I was toying with the idea of a dom3 from chip tuning but I suspect that after I speak to rob, it will not be the best choice since I have a manual NS, so no VGT to alter the boost. If an electrical wastegate can be fitted in order to control the boost, then it might be an option. Still saving the $$$s anyway, so still have plenty of time to research. :-)
                        If Dom 3 turns out to be ok for my car regarding boost control, then I will have another chat to Feeex about his second hand chip. :-)

Comment

• twisted32
                          • Jan 2015
                          • Adelaide

+1 Steve is the only bloke I trust to tune my cars, and that is why last Friday he did my NW. I can say it has made an incredible difference to performance, and so far fuel economy appears to be better in the region of 0.5l/100 (will have a better gauge after a trip this weekend with a few mates).
                          My percentage gains were in the 26-28% range peak figures, although my stock run was only 90rwkw, so the raw numbers are a little deceiving. Post tune it makes 115rwkw and just short of 500Nm. Of note peak power is around 2900RPM, where most others I have seen (and Steve's own car) is around the factory claimed 3600RPM.
                          Our thoughts at the moment are purely parasitic losses due to turning heavy/aggressive MT51s in 265/70 R17 (compared with relatively light D697s in stock size). I hope to put it back on the same dyno (a mainline) with some stock tyres to see what difference it makes soon.
                          A good tuner will spend hours on the tune ensuring smooth boost and fuel control for safety and performance.
                          Of note my EGT's in general driving including highway have reduced dramatically (upto 100deg), and WOT numbers are no higher than stock.

Originally posted by zoom View Post
                          When I had my NS remapped the tuner recorded many different readouts and took theses readings into consideration before he customer tuned the NS .He also reset and did 3 or 4 mini relearns on things like SCV before he downloaded the custom tune . The tuner said chips are a one size fits all and its impossible to get the very best from a chip alone . Sort of makes sense to me
                          It sounds like you have found a good tuner then. That is where the benefit of an ECU remap compared to a plug and play unit can be seen. The tune can be customised to the car, maximising performance, and maximising safety of the engine.
                          MY14 GLX Pajero DID auto with Lift, 265/70 R17 Yoki X-AT's, Full Bushskinz plates , Scotts Rods 3" TBE, Johnny Tig FMIC, TME ECU remap, Provent, OL Bullbar, Ironman 9500lbs winch, dual batteries, Lockup mate lite, nomad valve body, aeroflow AF72-6000 transmission cooler with 9" fan and radiator cooler bypass, 3.15 reduction gears, traction contol mod (on/off), Uniden 8080S, flappy paddles, Rhino flat rack mounted on ARB rails, 42" Stedi ST3K light bar and custom drawers

Comment

• Rnn_onmt
                            • May 2017
                            • Freo ish

I have seen fiures on Patrol forum where the tuners have done both. Check out United Fuel Injection. Matt is the Man.
                            They have a guy or two over East who look after the after sales support and tuning too.

Last edited by Rnn_onmt; 17-08-17, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Paj11
                              • Jun 2017
                              • Sydney

Diesel 4WDs are are different beast to 4 cylender petrol tuners, so this guy has the expertise and knowledge to do diesel engines as well?
                              2011 30th Anniversary NT, TME Tuned, 2 inch Billies/Dobs lift HD rear/MD front. Arb Deluxe Bar, Mitsi Tow bar, LRA Aux tank, Clearview Mirrors, Tekonsha Electric Brake Controller, iDrive, Manta 3 inch Turbo back Exhaust, Provent Catch Can, Pirelli Scorpion AT Plus 265/70/17 all corners plus spare, 9 inch iluminators, 7 inch Stedi reverse flood light, Rhino Rack, Kings Side Awning.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X