Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Triton

Triton Covering all models.

Old 18-10-09
Administrator

Default MN Triton ticks the boxes!

MN Triton ticks the boxes!

August 2005 saw the introduction of the ML Triton to world audiences and although Australia did not see it until just over a year later it?s radical design and cabin shape had to grow on the traditional 4 door ute brigade. The design by Mitsubishi?s Akinori Nakanishi was a bold step for a vehicle being released on a world market and took a while for the macho Aussie boys to take a shining to it. Certainly not a bad ute but not everyones cup of tea.
Come October 2009 and we see the introduction of the MN Triton released in Australia and believe me this one does tick all the boxes.
Mitsubishi have addressed the the negative feedback from owners and as well have looked at the safety aspects that the average punter would like on their utes. For the MN Triton range the GXL-R is the top spec model replacing the GLS. Incorporated into the twin cab GLX-R now is MATT (Mitsubishi All Terrain Technology) which includes Super Select, Stability and Traction Control, ABS and the optional Diff Lock. And if your right into the safety features you can have side and curtain airbags as well (Except 4x2 petrol).
Simply the ML Triton had the best back seat and legroom area in it?s class but it did come at a cost of a shorter tub. The MN has improved the tub area by 14% overall. Thats an extra 55mm in height and 180mm longer. An improved towing capacity to 3000kg on the GLX-R models (see specs below) gets the towing duties under control. Lower spec dual cabs are rated to tow 2700 kg.
Iniside comes with new designed seats that addresses some of the gripes MN owners had, updated audio, new centre console and armrest on double cab models and for the GLX-R owners a revised centre display and the option of Mitsubishi?s fantastic MMCS (Mitsubishi Multi Communication System).
Gone is the 3.2 oil burner and 3.5 petrol. All dual cabs are now powered by the proven 2.5 CDI High Power deisel or a 2.4 petrol version is available on the GLX models (4x2).
Although the 2.5 deisel has been in the 4x2 Tritons for over a year now the newer 2.5 High Power model is new to Australia and doesn?t this beasty four cylinder pump out some impressive figeres. You get 131kW/ 400Nm for the manual version and 131kW/ 350Nm for the auto giving an impressive 11% increase in power and 17% increase in torque over the 3.2 . Fuel figures have also improved 9% giving the manual version just 8.3 ltrs/100klms.
The GLX-R also gets the new optional Aisin five speed auto mated to the 2.5 as well. That?s sure to be a great combination!
If your in the market for a new ute or even a family tourer take a look at the others on the market and then come back to the MN Triton to compare. With Mitsubishi?s fabulous Diamond Advantage 5/ 10 warranty covering the MN Triton you can be assured it will go the distance.
RACQ will soon have 90 Tritons running around for roadside assistance and you can be assured they have done their homework on these vehicles.
Plus with the governments 50% tax rebate on new vehicles running until the end of the year now is the time to purchase!
Dave Howard

Copyright Pajero 4wd Club of Vic
Old 18-10-09
Administrator

Well it was first drive today of the MN. We had a GLX-R for a day and put it through it's paces. And it left us impressed....or should I say very impressed. For the guys who doubted Mitsubishi's wisdom in dropping the 3.2 for the 2.5 I can honestly tell you the 2.5 is a beasty of a motor. Mated with the five speed box it just cruised on 2000RPM @ 100KPH. I actually had to put it on cruise control to keep my speed legal. Offroad we did do a little testing but it was on the sweeping bends on tar that it shined. It handled easily whatever we threw at it and didn't even look like getting out of shape.
I will do a thorough report in a couple of weeks.
Dave

Old 18-10-09
Valued Member

Pickle,
Thanks for the info. Good to see that you think the 2.5 is up to it. Do you know if the Aisin auto is exactly the same as the Pajero? The reason I ask is that if it is, it should handle to extra herbs if you install a dp chip. Then again, there might not be a reason to.
Old 18-10-09
Valued Member

Hi Dave

What is the turning circle like ?. It was really bad on previous models

Thanks Glenn
Old 18-10-09
Administrator

Got enough herbs in it. I did a stop to 100kph and it got up to speed very quickly. In hindsight should have timed it. But I reckon you wont need to chip it. The Aisin auto feels fantastic. Although very similiar to the Paj box I dont think it's quite the same.

Stroker the turning cicle would be the same as the previous ML model 11.8 mtrs.
Dave
Old 18-10-09
Valued Member

Any improvement on the seats Pickle?

In the last model they would have been the worst in any car I've ever been in, and that includes and AMC Pacer..

I think the Triton is the pick of the dual cab utes hands down with things like Super Select and the improved safety, but some details like the seats really let it down.

Thanks for the post & pics..

www.twigwater.com - My fly fishing blog.

http://www.dsaphoto.com
Old 19-10-09
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Anderson View Post
Any improvement on the seats Pickle?

In the last model they would have been the worst in any car I've ever been in, and that includes and AMC Pacer..
First thing you notice when you jump in it is the seats. A VAST improvement.
They are very firm but comfortable. Although I didn't spend a lot of time in the drivers seat I wouldn't expect them to be uncomfortable on a long journey. No problems in the back seat for room either.
Dave
Old 21-10-09
Administrator

Getting a MN GLX for a week to evaluate for the club. Anyone need any specific questions answered about the Triton now's your chance.
Dave
Old 21-10-09
Valued Member

er yes dave i have a question
can you park it in my driveway for the week?
and can i swap the wheels with it?
Old 21-10-09
Administrator

Err no and no!
Hey Jason.....Bundaberg rocks
Dave