• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

Very scant supporting documentation there.
    Was that the front recovery loop or was that the rear tie down points? 2 completely different kettles of fish.

Seeing this design of front recovery loops have been in existence since the GEN 3 poked its head up in 2000, MMA engineers used one for testing chassis integrity whilst stating it was sufficient to use "using proper snatch recovery techniques", and of the hunderds of recoveries reported on this forum alone since 2000 without a single failure (to my knowledge), I think the above evidence speaks volumes.

EDIT: did not notice the sport bit, but the same still applies.
    Last edited by sharkcaver; 20-02-14, 12:11 PM.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• abw
      • Aug 2013
      • Sydney

The Mitsubishi Montero Sport is a Challenger, not a Pajero. The "tow hook" I assume he is talking about the rear ones (as he was towing) either side of the tow bar. These are indeed tie down points (4mm plate). To recover someone, you would use the towing hitch.
      This has nothing to do with the front recovery points.
      was Pajero NS 2008

now GU Patrol

Comment

• mmannion
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2008
        • Birth place of QLD

Montero Sport is not a Pajero but the equivalent of our Challenger with separate ladder chassis.

EDIT: beat me to it Abw lol.
        02 NM 3.5v6 auto Exceed, seq gas inj,265/75/16 Wild Peaks,16x8 Ballistic alloys, 2.5" cat back, wild cat headers, Lovells HD/TJM Gold Series,30mm coil spacers in rear, dual batt, TJM/bushskinz, 4x4 equip axe & shovel holder, rev cam, 50L Waeco, Megapulse, poly airs, Safari snorkel, K&N, MM alloy b/bar, Roo Lite's, 21" light bar,remote mount UHF, extended breathers, ARB comp, Maxtrax, RTT, Batwing awning & much more!

my videos http://www.youtube.com/user/michealmannion?feature=mhee

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

As an example:

One side has a substantial hook that is suitable for recoveries. The other side has a loop that is for tie-down only.

If they're anything like the loops on a Gen 2 Pajero, it's not hard to tell which is which.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Rich0
            • Dec 2011
            • Sydney, South

"When towing vehicle out of ditch the tow hook broke off and went through the tailgate of a 1997 full size dodge pickup. now they say it is not a tow hook it is just a tie down to get it here."

Yep, not much detail, and its a Challenger, and nothing to confirm this was snatched.

So the hypothesis can't be rejected and stands for now...

I second Gus' post though, let's go back to enjoying the forum.

The information is there, decide what you want to take out of it.

At the end of the day, a snatch strap is not always going to be the best recovery method, likewise, neither is a winch. No amount of winching or snatching would've worked here, just the old shovel and sweat method...
            Attached Files
            2002 NM GLS 3.2 DiD Manual
            My build thread on the to do list

Comment

• 72yellow
              • Jul 2007
              • ADL

At risk of opening another issue and I apologise now if anyone has a sensitivity but, is this whole debate a bit like Jesus - you either believe or not?

There is little data from manufacturers as they cant regulate every scenario, or make blanket statements without someone wanting to take them to task, No ADR's to be met BUT suggest a hell of a lot of physical evidence of Pajero drivers of the 3rd & 4th Gen vehicles that DO use these recovery techniques and the OEM points

Does anyone really know of any 3/4 series monocoque Pajero that has suffered in the way suggested in this 5 pages?

Sure its possible and I guess with more lightweight materials now being used we need to be mindful but the Mitsi video of some years ago is good enough for me & yes they still call them recovery points in their brochure

Pajero off-road snatch recovery demonstration, showing strength of monocoque body construction and recovery points. Test was conducted by Mitsubishi Motors A...

Now back to confession... (Shouldn't say hell & jesus in the same space)
              NX Exceed

Comment

• Pauly Faulkner
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2012
                • Maitland, NSW

Some of the snatches I've had to do were around 20km/hr but the recovered vehicle hardly moves and needs a few attempts while I'm heavily accelerating.
                Since the force is just a measurement of resistance from the car getting recovered and that pajero was barely bogged (I.e just rear wheels partially sunk in soft sand)and just popped straight out, a recovery like being sunk axle deep in the mud would be easily double that.

I see a lot of good points and advice in this thread

Common sense comes before any ratings stamped on anything, aid the recovery by digging infront of the wheels etc and use the right equipment and you're halfway to a safe recovery, common sense should get you the rest of the way.
                97' NK 3ltr GLX LWB Manual | 3" lift | Wildcat headers | K&N air filter | 2.8 crawl gears | 4Terrain clutch | 2.25" exhaust | Factory locker rear | TJM 10,000lb winch | TJM snorkel
                97' NL GLS LWB Auto | 6G75 3.8ltr | Redback Headers

Comment

• gregory0011
                  • Jun 2011
                  • Brisbane

Very professional snatch strap

Who says you cant stand close to a snatch or hook a snatch on a towbar??

This is how we recover our stuck 4x4's here in the U.K.These highly trained professionals are experts in the field of vehicle recovery, their knowledge and e...
                  Auto 2013 NW EXCEED Turbo Diesel
                  Mainly used for towing Off-road Jayco Expanda,Off-road camper trailer,
                  Shopping trolly and school bus.

Comment

• MoreliaMatt
                    Valued Member
                    • Mar 2013
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by gregory0011 View Post
                    Who says you cant stand close to a snatch or hook a snatch on a towbar??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8lMxYnGIrw
                    Muppets!
                    | 2010 NT Pajero GLS Manual DiD |

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
                    | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
                    | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
                    | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Purchased But Still To Fit - | MMA Spare Wheel Lift |

Comment

• Wrex
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2007
                      • Perth

My very own dubbed clip from the 2010 Top Gear Middle East Special, where James May takes a turn for the worst after attempting to assist Jeremy Clarkson on ...

yep Muppets

Comment

• Not Withstanding
                        • Jan 2014
                        • Melbourne

This article is elsewhere on the forum. I don't know where it's lifted from but someone will tell me if it's not a complete or accurate summary of The Video. Assuming it is accurate, we know that a new single tow hook (actually the article doesn't mention and perhaps you can see in the video whether it's the same hook, left or right) can handle six assorted snatch recoveries, in sand, I think in a relatively straight line. Again I'm sure some one will correct me.

As everyone has pointed out, anecdotally the loops are very strong and no one to the forum's knowledge has had an issue in recent times. But at the risk of being blasphemous, like climbing gear, most wise people would replace their recovery gear including the hooks periodically depending on time and amount of use, and what The Video doesn't tell us is how a five or ten year old hook (remembering they're welded on, maybe 'last thing on a Friday' as the say, and are not easy in that respect to maintain or replace) that has had a few knocks in it's life going in and out of creeks etc and a few good workouts, will handle another 10 or 20 extreme snatches at various angles by your cowboy mate with the supercharged patrol (hehe no offence, 'trol drivers, just wanted a stereotype for the example!) - or maybe jumping around on the end of a cable hand winch etc. Not to mention if you're buying a second-hand vehicle and you've no idea how it's been treated by the former owner.

Obviously there's only so much you can ask from any piece of hardware (though I do think the engineers could have done us the favour of doing another 20 or 30 snatches at the heaviest load on the new hook, and maybe even just measuring the breaking point of a few in a test facility) and the only answer is awareness and common sense. Which as we all know ain't so common. If you're reading these forums you're already not likely to be the muppet that comes to grief.

You just /have/ to use a bridle cos if one did let go you'd be awfully unlucky if the second did. And as everyone's said, give the shovel a work out, and keep the spectators well back.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X