• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Imajin14
    • Jun 2020
    • Brisbane

2UZFE swap NG pajero

Hey guys I'll be doing a 2uzfe swap with the 80 series 4 speed landcruiser gearbox full-time 4wd with a centre diff lock button set up. I'll be putting locking hubs for the front wheels aswell. Work will be done by a shop but I'll be working on it aswell here and there. I'm a mechanic by trade but don't have the room or resources to do this swap at home. I'll be restoring this car replacing every suspension and steering component. Has alot of sentimental value to me. Interior is in very good condition. Exterior is pretty good just tiny paint scratches and roof is fading which will be the last thing to do on the list.

I went with the 2uzfe because it's a very good engine it's probably the same weight as the 6g72 and the fuel economy will probably be better with the 2uzfe. The engine and gearbox will be controlled by a haltech which will be tuned for reliability and economy not for maximum power. This car will probably be 200-300 kg lighter than the 100 series with the same set up. Fuel consumption will be better than any V6 Pajero in my opinion. Drivability wise towing and driving will be so good with this set up.

Why not buy a better car?
    The NG Pajero has alot of sentimental value for me I'd rather throw some money at this than buy another 4wd. The wife is happy to help me out and she has her own car anyways .

I've already sourced out an engine and gearbox with everything needed for the swap. The shop doing the work is highly reputable and is a expert in this type of work
  • Imajin14
    • Jun 2020
    • Brisbane

thats the photos of the pajero ill be using.

Comment

• nj swb
      Resident
      • Jun 2007
      • Adelaide

Sounds like an fun project, I'll be following with interest.

I'm not too familiar with 2UZ-FE, other than knowing that Toyota make some great engines, so I did a quick google. One site suggests it has a cast iron block and weighs in around 250 kg (I'm not sure if this is wet or dry).

I found one reference for Mitsubishi's 6G7 series as 155 kg dry, quite a bit lighter. If you're replacing the torsion bars this shouldn't be an issue.

Have you researched swapping in the late Gen 2 rear axle, with the larger rear diff? Mitsubishi up-sized the axle for the 3.5 litre V6, which wasn't particularly torquey and obviously the 2UZ will have more torque again. They're using the same size diffs behind the current diesels, which are putting out 440Nm of torque, so they should survive a 2UZ tuned for reliability.

I don't know if there were many differences from NG to NJ, but the larger rear diff went into my NJ quite easily. Of course, finding appropriate diff ratios could be an issue. Front diff swap too? New 4.3 and new 4.1 front diffs for under $400 - just need to find a Triton or Challenger rear diff to get a matching ratio.
      NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Imajin14
        • Jun 2020
        • Brisbane

you're right it cast iron i thought they changed this from the 1uz to the 2uz, i might be thinking 3uz. im still trying to do research on gearboxes. The transmission from the 80 series is very heavy and they used the same trans in the toyota trucks and the dyna bus but the transfer case sits on the opposite side which is already a no go. ive got the motor and loom with ecu, just need to find the right gearbox combo. the prados, 4 runners and hiluxes are the gearboxes i can use which are all pretty much identical but the only diffrence is 4 speed and 5 speed and the cost. i found a 4 speed auto from a prado v6 3.4 for 500 dollars in good nick i just need a bellhousing adapter to mate the a343 gearbox to the 2uz block which i should be able to find. ill have to change the torque converter and was thinking if i should send the gearbox out to get it rebuilt with an upgraded valve body. cause i dont want to spend too much money. im going with the 4 speed to save money it will use more fuel but it will work better with the stock shifter with the 4 speed, the transfer case output sits on the correct side aswell.

the 100 series with the 2uzfe 2510 KG kerb

the pajero is 1710 KG kerb plus extra 200kg if i swap the motor and gearbox roughly

so that means with the motor its still looking good and with fuel consumption will be bette im lighter than the 100 series by a fair bit

ive got a 2 inch lift kit going in aswell so suspension will be replaced

ill be running the stock diffs umm rear diff has been rebuilt but i dont know any info on the front diff

but i really do want to go the 5 speed make it such a better car to drive and i was told to find a a750f 5 speed auto. i checked ratios and at 110 kmph will sit at 2300rpm which is very nice
        Last edited by Imajin14; 17-06-20, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• nj swb
          Resident
          • Jun 2007
          • Adelaide

The A750F is the same as the V5AWF transmission in late diesel Pajeros - I like mine.

Unfortunately the input and output shafts are different, so they're not interchangeable, but you could do worse than an A750.
          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Imajin14
            • Jun 2020
            • Brisbane

the a750 is going to cost around the 1000 dollar mark but i still need a v8 torque converter, bellhousing so all up will cost alot more. not sure if i should go the 4 speed . ive got the engine locked in and engine comes with the flex plate
            Last edited by Imajin14; 17-06-20, 05:19 PM.

Comment

• Imajin14
              • Jun 2020
              • Brisbane

Bit of an update I'm going with the 3uzfe 4.3 litre which came out of the sc430, ls430 and some other imports
              Why?
              It's alot lighter with the alloy block and head, more fuel efficient and alot more smoother engine. Like I said I'm not going for power or 0-100 times, I'm going for drivability and comfort while trying to get more KMs out of the tank

The ls430 weighs 1785kg

Ng Pajero weighs 1740 kg so that's a good start hopefully with the 3uzfe and 5 speed a750, the weight stays the same or slightly lighter.

Comment

• Imajin14
                • Jun 2020
                • Brisbane

Purchased the engine.loom.gearbox from a sc430 lexus with 70,000kms for a bargain it's being shipped from Japan will arrive in 4-8 weeks sea freight. Now for the gearbox if I use the 4 speed Hilux a340 I don't need to change the t bar shifter but If I choose the a750 5 speed I'll need to modify the t bar to maybe a custom b&m shifter with the extra gear there. Everywhere I have read say to use the 5 speed it's way more smoother and save more fuel and I can still use the stock shifter but then that means Ill have a missing gear

Comment

• Seigried
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2016
                  • brisbane

If its not a budget issue do what makes you happy

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

• pharb
                    Valued Member
                    • Jul 2007
                    • Tyers,Vic

Is the 5 speed fully electronic comtrol, or mechanic linkage?

If fully electronic shouldn't be to big a job.

If mechanical what about just fitting NM Paj shlfter?
                    PCOV Member 1107.
                    Daily driver NX GLX
                    Semi retired NL GLS 3.5 (no airbags) in almost prestine condition to replace NJ.
                    Virtually fully retired NJ 2.8TD
                    Previously - NB LWB, NA SWB.

Comment

• nj swb
                      Resident
                      • Jun 2007
                      • Adelaide

The mechanical linkage on the A750 only does PRND. Once in D, gear control is electronic - the driver needs to use sports mode to control which gear they want (within the limits of what the factory ecu will allow). The Pajero uses a cable, not sure about Toyota. I'm planning to use the Pajero shifter in Shorty, bolted to the trans tunnel somewhere convenient. Putting the cable through the tunnel in the right spot could be a little tricky? I'll worry about that when I get there.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Imajin14
                        • Jun 2020
                        • Brisbane

It has a mechanical linkage. Its from the 5 speed Prado 120 series auto. That's what the shifter looks like

I'm settling for the 4 speed it will make the swap alot more cheaper and I can still use the stock shifter assembly

From the reading up Ive done. Fuel consumption was compared and the 5 speed only used .8 L less per 100 km.

Click image for larger version

Name:	images (46).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	985697

Comment

• Imajin14
                          • Jun 2020
                          • Brisbane

Hey NJ is the 4-3-2-1 controlled electronically and cable on the Toyota only controls P R N D? If so then ill be happy to use the a750

I might have to source out a shifter assembly and cable
                          Last edited by Imajin14; 21-06-20, 09:17 PM.

Comment

• stumagoo
                            Valued Member
                            • Jun 2014
                            • Perth WA S.O.R

I would seriously look at a gen 2 auto as well - they bolt up to the UZ series with minimal changes (oilpump bellhousing and input shaft I think) or the UZ trans from certain models bolt up to gen 2 (3.5 and 2.8) transfer cases
                            1994 NJ 3.0 now with a 2000NL 3.5 engine and driveline, 2.5 catback, 32" MT Deegan 38's, 1" body lift, front diff drop with front tension rods indexed and cranked an 3", 3" on the rear coils
                            *** retired to the big wrecking yard in the sky***
                            1998 NL 3.5 blisterside, running a 6g75 (3.8) with M90 supercharger at 14psi, 305.70.16's on -44 rims 3.5" suspension lift, Custom Bull bar, winch install, custom front control arms, NJ GLS flares and some camping gear in the back

Comment

• nj swb
                              Resident
                              • Jun 2007
                              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Imajin14 View Post
                              Hey NJ is the 4-3-2-1 controlled electronically and cable on the Toyota only controls P R N D? If so then ill be happy to use the a750

I might have to source out a shifter assembly and cable
                              That is the way the Pajero's V5AWF works, and I've seen nothing that suggests the A750 is any different. The only difference between the transmissions of which I'm aware is the size of the input & output shafts.

If you intend to use the A750 you'll also need to sort an ecu. If there's an ecu solution available for the 3UZ-FE & A750 combination then all good.

I believe that, control wise, the Mitsubishi and Toyota versions are identical - you could use either ecu, but I suspect making a Mitsubishi trans ecu talk with a Toyota engine ecu would be an unnecessary complexity.

You could consider Mitsubishi transmission and transfer. Bolt Mitsubishi torque converter to Toyota flex plate and the input shaft size isn't an issue. Transmission & transfer already mate, so the Mitsubishi output shaft isn't an issue. You'll need custom driveshafts out of the transfer whichever way you go, so that's not a significant difference.

However, I believe the Mitsubishi transfer behind the late model Gen 4 diesel is, in low range, at (or beyond) its torque limits. Too much torque in low range (1st gear, peak torque & converter stall) can crack the housing, with disastrous results. A 3UZ-FE would have similar peak torque to the Gen 4 diesel, albeit higher in the rev range, so unlikely to achieve peak torque and converter stall together. But I would be reluctant to put the Pajero transfer into this project for this reason. Of course, if you're aware of the potential failure, and drive low range sensibly , it might be an option to keep in the mix.

The Gen 3 / 4 transfer is all electronically controlled. The Gen 2 transfer still has a manual shifter (less electronics to go wrong) but you'd need to figure out the shift assembly & how to mount it in your Pajero. The all electronic solution is simpler in this way.

Using the Gen 4 Pajero transmission & transfer combination will also let you use both of Mitsubishi's shifters - they share a common mounting plate. Of course, as the transfer shifter is purely electronic you could also make a custom solution with transfer switches anywhere you like.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X