• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Phil
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2008
    • Sydney

2 Mates & 7 States

Well after some time planning and booking, myself and old school mate James are off to visit all 7 mainland states in 5 weeks...
    With wives and my 2 kids 12 & 15 in tow.
    Yes I know 2 are territories but that dosn't sound as good.

My NP and James in his NT. Both diesels with the same suspension and protection gear.

So after many late nights around camp fires and back yard burners we decided to do the Simpson crossing in July 2019.
    This soon expanded to a Alice and the rock visit, which turned into the MacDonnell Ranges and the Dig tree as places to checkout.

While checking maps and driving routes I noticed how 'Close' we would be to a few state boarders. So a extended trip was calculated

So a brief run down on the route. (#N) = Number of nights.

Sydney - Canberra - Tumut (1N) - Hay plain - Mildura (1N) - Broken hill - Bimowrie (2N) -

Port Augusta - Woomera (1N) - Coober Pedy (1N) - Alice Springs (2N)

Then onto the Red centre way/ MacDonnell Ranges to Ayres rock. 4-5 nights

The rock - out to Warakurna road house and back 1-2 nights.

Nights for the following not locked in. Depends on where we are before dusk.

Uluru - Lamberts centre - Finke - Mt Dare - Dalhousie springs and across the Simpson.

Birdsville - Innamincka - Dig Tree - Cameron corner - Broken Hill - Dubbo - Sydney.

OR

NSW - ACT - NSW - VIC - NSW - SA - NT - WA - NT - SA - QLD - SA - NSW.

While my kids have been good long distance travelers (CapeYork 2013 & Flinders/Menindee 2016) they are older now and aren't that keen.
    I'D say this will be our last big family road trip.

Final vehicle maintenance and gear checking and culling to happen over the next few weeks.
    Last edited by Phil; 23-05-19, 03:10 PM.
    MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

Cough cough..........is Tasmania not a state
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Phil
      Valued Member
      • Aug 2008
      • Sydney

Originally posted by aussieintas View Post
      Cough cough..........is Tasmania not a state
      It certainly is and we swapped out a 3 week Tassie trip for this All time adventure.

But as I said in the first line, Mainland states only.
      MY05 NP DiD Auto Platinum. Custom scratches. ARB bar & 12000lbs winch. Maxxis Bighorns. BushSkinz Bash plates & slidders. TJM auto guard. Gear box, trans & diff breathers. Rhino racks & Pod. Awning with LED. Dual batteries. HID Narva 225's. Airtec snorkel. 2" Lovell/Bilstein lift. GME TX3500. Wetseat covers. Pioneer BT deck. Cargo barrier. Beaudesert exhaust. Rear storage & CF80. ARB onboard air. NS 18s for the black top, 80L LRA tank. HPD Catch Can. HPD Intercooler.

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Currently both Eyre and Warburton Creeks are flooded and a Simpson Crossing is not possible at the moment.
        If there is no more rain in either the desert or catchment area then the Eyre Creek bypass track might be open by mid June.

OJ.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• dean
          Valued Member
          • Jul 2007

Sounds unreal.
          As you're not leaving for 5 weeks you'd be unlucky not to get across the Simpson by the time you get there.
          You will most likely have the unique experience of having to take the northern bypass.
          Dean
          NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.

Comment

• Phil
            Valued Member
            • Aug 2008
            • Sydney

Hi Old Jack and Dean.

I've been checking the road reports for the last month or more.
            Both the Mt Dare and SA outback road websites, lots of water still about.

As of today we would be around 7 weeks away from Mt Dare give or take a day or so.

Our plan is the WAA line up to the French and onto Birdsville.

We'll just have to take it as we see it at the time.

Comment

• old Jack
              Regular
              • Jun 2011

As a guide we each used between 123 litres and 126 litres of diesel each from Oodnadatta, Dalhousie, WAA, Knolls, Rig, French, K1, QAA tracks to Birdsville. Since you are refueling at Mount Dare you would need less.

Sand was soft but salt pans were dry so no mud! I would be planning on some mud, so recovery tacks and rubber boots would be on my packing list.

OJ.
              2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Phil
                Valued Member
                • Aug 2008
                • Sydney

Seeing you say I'll use less fuel is a relief, both of us have long range tanks but will be heavy.

Me with 4 people and James is going to be taking some of my equipment to lighten the load.

Both with Maxtrax and near new Maxxis muddies for me and New BF AT on the NT.

Comment

• Phil
                  Valued Member
                  • Aug 2008
                  • Sydney

Replaced leaking shock (Right one in pic), airbag high pressure sleeves and spring seat insulators today.

On my 3rd set of Bilstein's in the rear, not happy and will be looking at other brands next time.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• nj swb
                    Resident
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
                    As a guide we each used between 123 litres and 126 litres of diesel each from Oodnadatta, Dalhousie, WAA, Knolls, Rig, French, K1, QAA tracks to Birdsville. Since you are refueling at Mount Dare you would need less.
                    I just checked my log book - I had recorded 122.49 (OJ, that gets rounded down to 122 litres, not up to 123 litres ) for 717 km.

Straight across the French line is shorter, but tougher going, so more litres per 100 km. In September 2017 I crossed Birdsville to Mt Dare with the Pajero Club, French Line all the way. That trip I recorded 107 litres for 517 km. Twisted32 used a fraction less. Hot & dry for most of the crossing (air con on max in 40 plus degrees, soft sand), wet and slippery on the way out to Mt Dare (good fun for the inner hoon).

In August 2018 I crossed again with twisted32, Birdsville to Oodnadatta including a detour to the Lone Gum. I used 117 litres for 709 km. Again, twisted32 used a fraction less than I did.

On all three trips we burned a few litres playing on Big Red. Grown-ups could gain an edge there.
                    NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Having Fun
                      • Jun 2015
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Phil View Post
                      Well after some time planning and booking, myself and old school mate James are off to visit all 7 mainland states in 5 weeks...
                      With wives and my 2 kids 12 & 15 in tow.
                      Yes I know 2 are territories but that dosn't sound as good.

My NP and James in his NT. Both diesels with the same suspension and protection gear.

So after many late nights around camp fires and back yard burners we decided to do the Simpson crossing in July 2019.
                      This soon expanded to a Alice and the rock visit, which turned into the MacDonnell Ranges and the Dig tree as places to checkout.

While checking maps and driving routes I noticed how 'Close' we would be to a few state boarders. So a extended trip was calculated

So a brief run down on the route. (#N) = Number of nights.

Sydney - Canberra - Tumut (1N) - Hay plain - Mildura (1N) - Broken hill - Bimowrie (2N) -

Port Augusta - Woomera (1N) - Coober Pedy (1N) - Alice Springs (2N)

Then onto the Red centre way/ MacDonnell Ranges to Ayres rock. 4-5 nights

The rock - out to Warakurna road house and back 1-2 nights.

Nights for the following not locked in. Depends on where we are before dusk.

Uluru - Lamberts centre - Finke - Mt Dare - Dalhousie springs and across the Simpson.

Birdsville - Innamincka - Dig Tree - Cameron corner - Broken Hill - Dubbo - Sydney.

OR

NSW - ACT - NSW - VIC - NSW - SA - NT - WA - NT - SA - QLD - SA - NSW.

While my kids have been good long distance travelers (CapeYork 2013 & Flinders/Menindee 2016) they are older now and aren't that keen.
                      I'D say this will be our last big family road trip.

Final vehicle maintenance and gear checking and culling to happen over the next few weeks.

I've been up the Stuart Hwy a few dozen times, I don't think that you'll enjoy spending a night at Woomera & another night at CP. They are very close together in the scheme of things. BH to CP is very doable in a day.

Comment

• Phil
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2008
                        • Sydney

Originally posted by Having Fun View Post
                        I've been up the Stuart Hwy a few dozen times, I don't think that you'll enjoy spending a night at Woomera & another night at CP. They are very close together in the scheme of things. BH to CP is very doable in a day.
                        Plan on staying at the caravan park in Woomea, Are you saying its not that nice a place to camp.

Any recommendations for that area, as CP has already been booked for one night.

Comment

• nj swb
                          Resident
                          • Jun 2007
                          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Phil View Post
                          Plan on staying at the caravan park in Woomea, Are you saying its not that nice a place to camp.

Any recommendations for that area, as CP has already been booked for one night.
                          I think it's "different strokes for different folks".

For some people, Woomera holds absolutely no interest, and the caravan park is average.

For others, Woomera has a fascinating history, and the caravan park is average.

Similar with Coober Pedy. If you're simply passing through and looking for somewhere to stay the night, you'll probably be underwhelmed. If you're interested in the opal, mining and the history of the area, you'll probably enjoy a night or two.

Personally, I've never stopped in Woomera, and only stayed in Coober Pedy a couple of times, because that's the way things worked out - not because I wanted to be there. If I had to plan to stay a night in the area, I think I'd rather push past Woomera and make the detour out to Kingoonya. But Kingoonya to Alice is a reasonably big day.
                          NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• old Jack
                            Regular
                            • Jun 2011

There is a great museum in Woomera, that is based around the rocket development and testing in the 1950’s and 1960’s. If you are into this sort of history then you can easily spend a few hour looking around.
                            Camping is basic but you have to remember you are in the middle of a desert!
                            If you want to travel south for another 180kms there is good camping at Spear Creek which is just east of Port Augusta.

OJ.

Comment

• sharkcaver
                              "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                              • May 2009
                              • Perth

I know the reason why, but to drive from the rock to Giles (Warakurna) and back, just to tick a box is a big impost. Lassiter's Cave and the scenery of the Rawlinson's are brilliant. There's some great space and Len Beadell stuff at the met bureau there, but that's about it. That said, Giles is about a magnitude greater than Docker River, but 2 times nothing, still equals nothing.

But I do understand, sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.
                              MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X