• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fleet5ltr
    • Oct 2014
    • sa

Rock Tamers

Hi all,
    Heading up to 'The Rock' in July and then coming back via Finke and the Oodnadatta track with the camper on the back.
    Currently I have no stone/rock protection for the camper.
    I have been looking at the various types of protection and came across 'Rock Tamers"'.
    Has any had experiences using them?
    Any feedback will be appreciated
    Cheers
    2012 NW GLS Cool Silver Nudge bar, tow bar, spare wheel lift kit, SPV EGR MOD Mk3,Tekonsha Primus EB Controller, Custom made dual battery tray with Redarc SBI12, 6B&S Anderson Plug, Boos Bash Plates, Dobinson 40mm lift
    In the shed:, Millford Cargo barrier,Roof Racks, 2015 New Age Manta Ray 19BC
  • mrbitchi
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Brisbane

Can't comment on the Rock Tamers but have a look at the Stone Stomper. Not only keeps stones off your camper but also keeps a lot of the dust down too.

Stone Stomper
    Cheers, John.
    LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
    Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• Having Fun
      • Jun 2015
      • Adelaide

Hi Fleet5ltr,

My apologies for the long winded post!

No matter what protection that you choose, some parts of the CT will get sandblasted/stone damaged on roads like the Oodnadatta track.

+1 on the Stone Stomper. You'll still get the underside of the CT sandblasted, but if fitted correctly, the front & sides of the CT will be OK & most importantly, you'll minimise damage to the rear of your car from rocks bouncing off the trailer.

I've traveled quite a few roads a lot like the OT using just a stone guard on the trailer's draw bar & my Ute does have the corresponding dings in the tailgate from rocks bouncing off the trailer (battle scars lol!). Got a real nice one on the Birdsville Track lol!

But I did the Oodnadata Track with a home made "stone stomper" fitted between the car & trailer + the stone guard on the trailer's draw bar = no dings whatsoever.

Any spare tyre on the draw bar needs a stone guard in front of it, to stop stones bouncing off it, back into the car.

Any conventional stone guard on the front of the trailer needs to be fitted loosely, to act as a glove to "catch" stones.

Rubber mud flaps fitted to the front of the CT, like I sometimes see on brand new camper trailers will cause issues & I personally would never use them on gravel roads.

Having a Ute helps heaps, as the rear window is a long way from the action at the back, but in a Paj, I'd cover the back window regardless of which stone guard you use. I've seen some 4x4's who hadn't & the result was quite nasty! A broken window on a dusty road isn't much fun.

No matter which one that you choose, you'll need to protect all of your under trailer wiring. At each stop, check your wiring for damage.

Some other stuff that I've had happen on rougher roads is that the Anderson plugs between the trailer & the car come undone due to corrugations. I carry a spare, plus I tie up the trailer side wiring with a bungee cord. So if the come loose, the bungee holds it off the ground. I had 2 incidents, where by the time I found it'd happened, all that was left was frayed wires lol. The shackles on the tow bar can come loose too. All you can do is carry spares & check them at every stop.

Comment

• lukincool
        • Mar 2013
        • Imbil

rock tamers

I made my own very easy very cheap and work and look a treat.

the local ag shop will have most of what you require
        Pajero NP exceed, it has dobinson HD springs and shocks (extra 50mm) very nice, 265x70x17 Hancook A/T which are quiet and comfy on the road, Icom uhf, eclipse gps, long range fuel tank, duel battery setup, steel bulbar, tow bar, widow draw system, eva cool fridge freezer dual controls (awesome), electric brake controller, Out Back Bash Plates, air bags for my rear suspension, breathers and a snorkel... the dream sheet has a long list aswell ... when I can afford them

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
        Working...
        X