• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • countman88
    • Feb 2018
    • brisbane

Can't Engage 4wd Low

I rarely use 4wd but after it stopped functioning a few years ago, and I paid $600 plus (new actuators?) to have it repaired, I now drive a short distance in 4H then 4L every few weeks just to keep it operating.
    Became difficult to get it into 4L a few weeks ago, now doesn't want to go in at all. Is it likely to be just an adjustment needed or something more serious?
    It is a MY03 and has done 160,000km
    Thanks
  • Sam Pato
    • Jan 2011
    • Brisbane

I had the same issue with my Challenger - there is a sort of plastic / resin ball at the bottom of the 4wd lever (inside the gear box) that breaks and you can't select gears. If you have a look on the forum you'll find out about it. I bought a replacement off eBay from memory. It was a bit of a faff to fix but not beyond the home mechanic to replace it.

Cheers

Sam
    Pajero NS GLX 3.2DID 2008, SPVIII, DPF Delete, Inlet Clean, ARB bullbar, Pioneer Platform

Comment

• countman88
      • Feb 2018
      • brisbane

Thanks Sam.
      I will have a look the forum posts.

Cheers

KenD

Comment

• Coxie2016
        • Dec 2016
        • Warburton victoria

Resolved 4L selector repair

Originally posted by countman88 View Post
        I rarely use 4wd but after it stopped functioning a few years ago, and I paid $600 plus (new actuators?) to have it repaired, I now drive a short distance in 4H then 4L every few weeks just to keep it operating.
        Became difficult to get it into 4L a few weeks ago, now doesn't want to go in at all. Is it likely to be just an adjustment needed or something more serious?
        It is a MY03 and has done 160,000km
        Thanks
        Points to note - Regardles of auto or manual gearbox the transfer case is mechanical.
        If there is any slop in 4h/4l selector the fulcrim ball has shattered
        160k is when mine failed.
        EBAY has replacement for about $40-
        Mitsubishi qouted $800- for complete shaft.
        Remove centre consol and remove complete selector shaft. Drift fulcrim pin (pain in the arse but be patient) Note warranty is void if you dont paint ball with red rubber grease (mineral oil and heat destroy) Lazy bastards at Mitsu dont put grease (rubber or lithium) and it is ticking time bomb.
        NB would be good idea to renew transfer case oil to flush out any parts of broken ball.
        You can not engage 4L unless you stop and place in neutral. I now change 4H AND 4L using 2 fingers.
        Good luck with your mission

Comment

• countman88
          • Feb 2018
          • brisbane

Thanks Coxie2016.
          Will get it done.

Cheers

KenD

Comment

• countman88
            • Feb 2018
            • brisbane

I bought a fulcrum off ebay for about $40 and had it fitted for about $200 during car service.
            Now slips into 4wd H and L effortlessly

Comment

• Fatso
              • Jun 2022
              • Wide Bay QLD

Looks like I'm about to embark on this mission lol

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
              Working...
              X