• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arrow
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2007

Insurance ................

A friend had his car written off in the recent hailstorm in Melbourne's eastern suburbs.

His insurance company intends to deduct the balance of the registration (around $600) from the agreed value? Thus, the deductions will be his excess AND the ramining rego value.

Under the terms of the policy, they will own the vehicle upon payout so are in effect double dipping by deducting the balance from the payout and then having the ability to cancel the rego and get it back from Vicroads.

Is this common in policies?
  • BruceandBobbi
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2016
    • Greater Sydney

Tell your friend to remove the plates. Return them to Vic roads and cancel the rego.

He still owns the car until the payout.

BTW. I think everything in the vehicle except personal items belongs to the insurance company. If he has fitted a dash camera etc he has most likely lost it.

Comment

• arrow
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2007

Tell your friend to remove the plates. Return them to Vic roads and cancel the rego
      No, unfortunately, another clause requires the vehicle has to be registered at the time of settlement.

Comment

• MSF
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2009
        • Sydney, Northern Beaches

Check the PDS, Most companies now state that in the event of a Total Loss, the vehicle (including any remaining registration / CTP / Personal injury cover) becomes theirs..

Comment

• old Jack
          Regular
          • Jun 2011
          • Adelaide, South Australia.

My arguement would be if I sold the car with 9 months rego it would be worth more than if it had 1 weeks rego, therefore the market value needs to include the balance of the registration value.

OJ.
          2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
          MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Mundy55
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2015
            • Gold Coast

Originally posted by arrow View Post
            A friend had his car written off in the recent hailstorm in Melbourne's eastern suburbs.

His insurance company intends to deduct the balance of the registration (around $600) from the agreed value? Thus, the deductions will be his excess AND the ramining rego value.

Under the terms of the policy, they will own the vehicle upon payout so are in effect double dipping by deducting the balance from the payout and then having the ability to cancel the rego and get it back from Vicroads.

Is this common in policies?
            Whilst I am not arguing with you, I have to say this doesn't make logical sense. On what basis is the rego being deducted? I could understand if the insurance company doesn't own the remnant rego as the value of the vehicle includes its registration. But if they do own it, why would they deduct it? I can understand an insurance company not wanting to be bothered with the adiministrative work involved in recovering the remant rego. But it just doesn't make sense to me.

Comment

• Seigried
              Valued Member
              • Apr 2016
              • brisbane

Id ask the ombudsman and read the fine print.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

We had our sons car written off. RACV deducted the remaining rego on it and that was paid to him in a week with the remaining balance. Simple

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                Working...
                X