• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jim Hannah
    • Aug 2013
    • Queensland

Inlet Manifold bolts torque?

I recently had the inlet manifold off for cleaning...no problems with that, but the manifold bolts, behind the springs are not all easy to access; especially if you're trying to wield a torque wrench. Bottom line is, I found it very easy to screw them up sufficiently that the springs are completely closed. This didn't seem right, so I ended up backing them off a little until the springs just opened a little.

Any thoughts on this anyone, not sure if I did the right thing...maybe the springs should be fully closed to account for any expansion in the bolts when things get up to working temperature in there?

Have your manifolds cleaned, incidentally. Mine had 189000KM, never been cleaned, and was absolutely as bad as any pictures I have seen. One lump of carbon that literally fell out when I split the manifold must have been a cubic inch. Took a lot of patience to get that clean I can tell you. The EGR valve, on the other hand, while a bit dirty, wasn't really too bad.

J
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

Jim

Torque is 17 plus minus 4NM so not very tight.

Below is link to online tech manual found on this forum. Also pic from the manual of the manifold. Its well worth saving this manual as has loads been of ino.

Attached Files
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

Matched content

Collapse