Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Body and Soul

Body and Soul Discussion about the chassis and body, paintwork, cabin fittings, air conditioning, etc.

Old 01-08-19

Default Knee Pad Drivers Side

Hi,
I suffer from arthritis of the Knee joints, particularly the inside of the right knee.
My driving position is such that with right foot on the accelerator my right knee kicks towards the door. After a while this aggravates the inside joint.
As a remedy I made a cushion/ rest. It tends to keep the knee almost straight.
It also provides an absorbent surface for a summer sweaty knee.
It allows access to the arm rest window controls and doesn't impede the opening of the door.

The pad is made from a hand towel, a piece of pool noodle, some black bias tape and some velcro tabs.
And a sewing machine is handy.

I haven't come up with a solution to the handbrake digging into the left knee, any suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6498.v01.jpg (95.2 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6500.v01.jpg (160.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6501.v01.jpg (106.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6502.v01.jpg (118.8 KB, 24 views)
Old 01-08-19

maybe use the pool noodle on the handbrake handle?

shave it down to a smaller diameter, if you have to?
Old 01-08-19

Default Knee pad

Hi Paceman,
Nothing like a bit of feedback to stimulate change.
Dug through my odds and sods and found a foam ball, original use as a grip exercise ball or for throwing away for a dog to fetch?. Anyway I will try it out.

Punched hole with wood vyce and a piece of square section al. tube.
Not as hard as tennis ball or the pool noodle. Pool noodles disintegrate after prolonged exposure to sunlight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6503.v01.jpg (124.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6504.v01.jpg (150.0 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Pushbike; 01-08-19 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Added picture
Old 01-08-19
Valued Member

I've got a 3 plug cig lighter extension attached to the wall below the hand brake and if I move my leg over to try and rest on the handbrake, I rest on that first. Maybe a pad attached to the same spot would work better than anything on the brake lever.

I don't want to sound like a smart arse but if I'm in the driving position, I find it very difficult for either leg to touch the brake lever or the door unless I push the seat forward to the point where it's uncomfortable. Are you sure that moving your seat back a bit won't help ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG20190801113613.jpg (158.1 KB, 21 views)
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 02-08-19

Hi Ian H,
I'm about 1.8m tall and have set the seat position wrt various parameters e.g arm attitude to wheel (fairly straight) and the second row seats are always folded. The driving position overall is working for me, it's just that my legs splay out and contact the door and the hand brake. As stated in the earlier post this aggravates my arthritis.

By the way I deliberately selected the GLX because the seat squab has two adjustments, in particular the front adjustment allows you to set the front edge low which can remove the pressure (force pivot) point front under the thighs.
My physio says that this can minimize lower back ache induced by long driving sessions. I believe, from long experience, that this is true.
Short people(passengers in Kombi's) that cannot rest their feet/legs because the squab is too high need to use a foot rest to lift their thighs off the front edge of the seat.

Note my use of the word "can", it is used extensively with "may" in those adverts for appliances and concoctions claimed to cure all sorts of health problems.
While I'm at it, Another thing that annoys me is that I can't spell (mainly incorrect vowels) and have to repeatably resort to my dictionary.
Anyway thanks for your feedback.
Old 02-08-19
Valued Member

Have you also installed a footrest? It was one of the best mods I’ve done for driving comfort?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geopaj View Post
Driver's Foot Rest

Anyway, back to the NT...

No idea why Mr Mitsubishi decided to delete a proper driver's footrest in NT+ models. As per this thread (http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...light=Footrest) I added a genuine NS footrest. Much more comfortable. To my surprise, the genuine rubber mats fit perfectly round the NS footrest.

About $30 from Amayama

| ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | airbags | Cooper AT3 LT's | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank in rear seat well | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')