• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CptStinky
    • Mar 2019
    • Upper Coomera

CptStinky's Home built expedition trailer

Thought I'd share my trailer that I built from scratch. It was a fun project that took way too long (as they all do- but 4 years is ridiculous!)
    Fair bit of overkill, but it's certainly strong enough.
    My cousin coming in from overseas was the impetus to finally finish it. Everything worked really well, but somethings need fine tuning. Something special about getting to go out and enjoy something you've built from the ground up
    Attached Files
  • Dicko1
    Valued Member
    • Dec 2014
    • Cairns, FNQ

Looks good. Be good to see more photos of it out camping..
    Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• CptStinky
      • Mar 2019
      • Upper Coomera

Funny when I started it, this genre was not for sale anywhere, now you can buy something similar from half a dozen manufacturers.
      Weight is a lot more than it needs to be, I used Composite cladding in and out, and all duragal steel frame- about 1500kg on the road with 180 litres of water, fridge, gas, toilet and genny on board.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by CptStinky; 06-05-19, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• CptStinky
        • Mar 2019
        • Upper Coomera

As we're going to the Snowflake Festival in Stanthorpe this year, next on the list is the wall kit for the awning. I have the stove kit from 4wd Supacentre- so I'm banking on that being warm enough.

Comment

• RUGGA
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2014
          • Adelaide

Looks great, well done . Hope you're loading more pics as i type.
          02 NM 3.2, Auto, Exceed, I/C and sump guards, L&B 2" lift, 265/75/16 OPAT2.

Comment

• CptStinky
            • Mar 2019
            • Upper Coomera

Not too much more to add
            just waiting for opportunities to get out there and use it.
            Attached Files

Comment

• kblof
              • Apr 2017
              • Radelaide

that looks awesome great work
              2011 NT Pajero| DID

Comment

• craka
                Valued Member
                • Jun 2009
                • Newcastle (Newie)

Originally posted by CptStinky View Post
                Thought I'd share my trailer that I built from scratch. It was a fun project that took way too long (as they all do- but 4 years is ridiculous!)
                Looks the goods. Really like it.

Don't be too hard on yourself, I'm building a shed at home and it's taken a little over 2years so far, from escavating and levelling to shed almost complete but without flashing/capping yet done.

Have a question, which may be obvious to some but I've wondered for a while how do you or others manage to flip the the trailer frame base over once done building A frame and adding spring hangers etc??
                NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• CptStinky
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Upper Coomera

Originally posted by craka View Post
                  Looks the goods. Really like it.

Don't be too hard on yourself, I'm building a shed at home and it's taken a little over 2years so far, from escavating and levelling to shed almost complete but without flashing/capping yet done.

Have a question, which may be obvious to some but I've wondered for a while how do you or others manage to flip the the trailer frame base over once done building A frame and adding spring hangers etc??
                  Thanks! I love it too. Perfect for the two of us. Dry bed, with a solid roof over our head with plenty of outdoor space under the awning.

Cant quiet remember exactly how I did it, it's been a while but I seem to remember installing the springs and axle upside down and squaring/centering it all up. then when I was happy I left the axle and springs together and removed them, flip the frame and re-attach.
                  Check the measurements and years later during first test drive stand on the brakes and see if your guess work was accurate. (turns out it was, 2 nice straight lines in the gravel made by 6 tires )

Comment

• gemster
                    Valued Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • Gold Coast

I will keep an eye out for it CptStinky.... I will be at Snowflake too helping my sister with her Hat Stall... Keen to have a closer look...Come and say G-day... Just noticed where you are, same local as me Lol...

Gemster....
                    YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
                    And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
                    ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X