Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Body and Soul

Body and Soul Discussion about the chassis and body, paintwork, cabin fittings, air conditioning, etc.

Old 11-01-19

Thumbs down Pajero vs Bollard

Bollard won. Didn't see it hidden behind the A-piller
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ouch 1.jpg (148.2 KB, 199 views)
File Type: jpg Ouch 2.jpg (145.3 KB, 164 views)
Old 11-01-19
Valued Member

Ouch. I also hit a bollard but luckily it just smashed the rear passenger side rear tail light. $150 and good as new. Reckon yours might be a little more!
Old 11-01-19
Resident

Ouch!

Easy enough to do.

I got real lucky with a company Commodore many years ago. Busy talking to my girlfriend, jumped in and started backing when I remembered there was a bollard back there somewhere. Jumped on the brakes and climbed out for a look.

The bollard was near the driver side rear wheel, and I couldn't see daylight between the bollard and the panel. I carefully drove forward, and couldn't see a mark on the panel.

I've marked my share of panels since then but never against a bollard.

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
Old 11-01-19

Wife had all her friends in the car in an underground car park. Misjudged the concrete pillar and took out the nearside passenger door. Panicked, reversed back, took out the offside. It happens.
That was awhile ago now.

Crash486
Old 11-01-19
Valued Member

Bollards, underground car parks, posts, letter boxes, garage doors - I love 'em. Keep me in business.

The biggest mistake a lot of people make is when getting out of the situation. Instead of doing what they did, in reverse, they turn the wheel and make it worse, or, as noted above, panic.

All fixable though.

Interesting to see just how useless those alloy steps are in this kind of situation.
Old 11-01-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFT5 View Post
Interesting to see just how useless those alloy steps are in this kind of situation.

Was thinking the same thing. If one canít at the present time afford some sliders eg the Bushskinz ones, is there any advantage in taking the steps off when touring / off roaring? Or even greater risk to the sills undercarriage without them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 20-02-19

Thumbs down Interesting Update

So I wonít name the smash repairer at this stage...
Picked up the car today after them having for two weeks (another story) checked over it and at first feel and glance it looked ok. Front door was assessed as needing replacement, rear was to be repaired. Took a look at rear door and noticed it wasnít the original (paint chips on black around windows where there previously wasnít any) . Peeled back the top of the door seal to find the top sill badly rusted out. I had them repaired under warranty about 3 years ago and regularly inspect them for any rust.. When I challenged them they claimed it was repaired not replaced as per the assessment. I stood my ground and demanded to see their parts invoices. Sure enough there was an invoice from wreckers for front & rear doors. Needless to say Iím pretty p!ssed off and will name and shame along with complain to insurance company when they replace the door. Dodgy mothers.
Old 21-02-19

Post Friendly advice

Not Gemini ARC was it as thats there normal quality of repair. Got offered a job there many years ago TURNED IN DOWN as didn't agree with there practices.

Its a wonder they didn't try repairing the front door, Could tell you more as was an Independent Loss Adjuster and Assessor and some of the practices by most of the approved Panel shops will make you angry.

Its all about cost cutting plus most repairers are getting a contracted amount so the cheaper they can do the repair the better. Ask them to remove the interior door panel door will be a different colour, the other cost cutting is they use cheap quality base coat paint and clear so thats is why you see so many cars paint peeling.

Get on your hands and knees check under the doors check how they have put the car back together ie trims etc, they have a tendency in glueing trims back into position that they have broken when stripping.

I better shut up as will get myself in trouble. I wouldn't let any approved repairer touch my wheel barrow
Old 06-05-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyPizzaz View Post
Was thinking the same thing. If one canít at the present time afford some sliders eg the Bushskinz ones, is there any advantage in taking the steps off when touring / off roaring? Or even greater risk to the sills undercarriage without them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good for stone chips only I recon. Still, better than nothing. I have nothing at the moment and that worries me.
Old 06-05-19

Update on this. Went through the shoddy repairs with the NRMA assessor. Their policy is they must get the repairer to remedy. Theyíve replaced the rusty door but in doing so overspayed on the roof, tried to fix it then stuffed up the roof. Also put scratches on rear spoiler. Assessor towed car to alternative repairer where it now sits. Hoping for this week. Insurer has provided hire car all this time plus refunded my excess. Donít have your car sent to smashcare Stafford.