Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 04-08-18
Valued Member

Default LRA aux tank filling issue

Does anyone have a solution to the problem of the dual head fuel pipe issue where some pumps just won't fill the main tank because the hose shuts off as soon as you try to pump fuel? I'm finding quite a few pumps doing this lately and in the outback, you don't have a lot of choices to try a different one. They seem to be ok filling the aux tank so I can do that and them pump fuel across but it's not the ideal scenario.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 05-08-18
Valued Member

With some pumps you need to just trickle and not insert the spout...but you've tried that i'm guessing.
Dean
NM V6 since August 2000. Cargo Barrier, Satphone, Decent Suspension, Decent Tyres Eg. Any 10 PLY E Load Brand Not Important. Aux Tank, Rola Sports Racks/Basket, Decent Canvas Bag, Quality Esky. A Good Setup For Outback Touring/Desert Crossings.
Old 05-08-18
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

You could try playing with the position of the breather, getting it up a little higher. I did this on the NP and it helped a little. Looks like a little filter and it sits above the splash shield.

With both a Long Ranger and now an LRA tank, It seems to me they all do it. The aux fills nicely, but the main takes some ginning around at times. I think it comes down to the specific bowser as to how much trouble it will give you. I just filled the main on the NX - no cut out at all until it was full. That's a rarity.

I always fill main then aux. It doesn't seem to make any difference if reversed.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 05-08-18
Valued Member

Yes, I've tried giggling it around but the breather suggestion may help. thanks guys.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 05-08-18

On rare occasions I've had many nozzle shutoffs even when empty. The last couple of times this has happened, I've just filled the auxillary, then just filled into the upper chamber - keeping a close eye on it. Surprisingly, it has worked quite well, the main tank filling with ease. My fittings are all tight, so I don't have leaks even if filled to this chamber, which fills the auxillary to the the top of the filler. I find it all settles down after a short drive - I'm sure there are voids that are filled with movement and the levels drop to tank level, with the fill pipes draining into the tanks. My usual fill is with the left side down, to maximise fill volumes.
Old 05-08-18
"2000"+ Valued Contributor

Send a message via MSN to sharkcaver Send a message via Skype™ to sharkcaver

When I'm touring, I always fill both tanks so that the dual port filler has fuel in it. That maximises my fuel capacity and I've never had a leak from doing this either, nor should I.

MY16 NX GLX5, Dobinson's HD springs + MRR shocks + Firestone airbags, 17" Toyo Opats, XXX bar, Dominator winch + IB500 relay, Full Bushskinz kit, Rhino track mount, 7" led spots, 23" light bar, SPV block, Ultragauge, Donaldson secondary filter, LRA 81L aux, 105AGM in rear + Projecta IDC25, 2 tier rear shelf + slide, ARB on board compressor, 2.5 x 3.0 awning

NX build

My Journeys
Old 06-08-18
Valued Member

As above it seems more dependant on the bowser you use. I found 3 ways that more often than not worked:
- push the nozzle in all the way, then pull it out gently until it is resting on the small moulded lump on the bottom edge of the bowser nozzle.
- push the nozzle in all the way, then turn it about 1/8-1/4 turn clockwise.
- a combination of the above.
Old 06-08-18

Mine always fills easier if it's facing down hill, even a little bit helps.
2005, 3.2 did, auto, 2" lift, Toyo Rugged Terrain tyres, UHF, fridge slide and box by me, dual batteries, Kalahari awning, Rhino roof bars and platform, Bush Skinz intercooler plate, Coil Rite air bags, Safari snorkel, 81 litre LRA aux tank, ARB bull bar, Runva EWX 9500 winch, Masten TPMS.