Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 06-02-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelix View Post
Thanks for the advice Allan. Will do it.
Can you educate me a bit on how is this related to the low tank?

I would like to be educated also. I can't see a connection.
Old 07-02-18

The car drives really well until I get to the last 1/8th. But nothing wrong with cleaning up the sensor.

The Mitsubishi dealership service could not reply to my phone calls for two days (?), so I ordered the parts (filter/gasket) - will replace it myself.

Appreciate everyone's response. All very helpful. Thanks.
Old 14-07-18

Angry

So finally, rolled up my sleeves and replaced the filter.
I was dreading this - expecting all sorts of unexpected issues.

I thought I could describe the process, as it could be useful to the next person:

So, opened the top cover - easy - bolts size 10.
The next level cover is not well positioned - a bit more to the right, so awkward access.
nuts size 10 - undone. The cover wouldn't come off - it's glued to the surface with a soft glue. A short screwdriver helped to detach.
The cover wouldn't come through the upper hole. Had to bend one corner to twist it through I could see that it was originally bent as well. Well designed.

Then the tank access cover... even further to the right, and not much space.
Pinched the hoses with the correct tool for that. One hose slipped off OK, another took some effort (and some blood) to come off.
A little bit of Diesel spilled - not much - all good.

6 nuts tied up to the welded bolt - size 8 - sigh - tiny. Poor access - the wrench rotates 1/8 of the turn - prepare to sleep over in the car...
Mitsubishy kindly sprayed the black paint over the the whole thing in black so the nuts are hard to undo. Snapped one ...
A powerfull penetrator spray used then - should have used it first, but it is not rusty - it's the paint over the thread.

OK - all came off - pulling out - one rubber hose from the tank needed to be detached - hooked outside so it doesn't slip back in.
The top needs to manouvre through the two openings - takes a bit of twisting - some Diesel splashed around during the process. Have a rug handy.

Finally able to inspect the filter - it's black from the sooth. Later inspected it near the strong light - nothing comes through - so it was definitelly required. (See attachment).

Placed the whole thing in a small bucket ( I prepared earlier - so I was thinking through a bit )
The filter release bolt needs a large Phillips screwdriver - the medium one wouldn't work.
Replaced the filter - a short hose connector (the system to the filter ) easily comes off - watch not to lose it.

So tightened the filter back on, started inserting it back - the loose hose plugged back to the other end.
Replaced the rubber gasket over the top, as I forgot to do it while it was detached. The new gasket wasn't really needed - it seemed good - but it was cheap to replace.
The whole thing manipulated back through two openings and the tank top fitted back to now 5 bolts...
Slowly tightened back the nuts - a bit easier as the paint is no longer in the way.
The middle cover inserted, then the metal straightened inside to be flat again - At least it was close enough. Decided not to apply silicone, as the glue was not fully hard. It will be tight.
The last top tightened. Cleaning up.
Test drive was OK.

The tank is now at 1/4 and it's a good timing to verify that the car starts easier with the tank 3/4 and more empty. Will know more tomorrow.

So, fingers crossed the cold starting will improve, and fingers corossed the 5 bolts will keep the tank cover tight - otherwise I saved $300-$400 and caused $2000-$3000 in damage.

Wasn't as trivial as expected - but would do it easier next time.
Lessons learned:
patience is required.
Work the tank cover tiny nuts slowly back and forth until the paint is gone.
Use only a high quality Diesel where available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180714_171559-1.jpg (110.0 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by Obelix; 14-07-18 at 08:14 PM. Reason: attachment added
Old 14-07-18
Valued Member

Excellent - it seems as if you have fund the problem. Now, what about the rest of the tank? It is probably full of sh1t as well. I would try some chemical treatment to hopefully mobilise the crap and then replace both that tank filter and the under-bonnet jobbie. Hopefully you will then have a relatively clean fuel system. It may even be better to completely remove the tank and wash it out (there is no drain bung to help you). Thanks for the writeup on removal of the tank filter.
Old 14-07-18
Valued Member

Use only a high quality Diesel where available.

Yep. Cheap diesel is cheap diesel for a reason.

Hope you finally have it sorted.
Old 14-07-18

Thanks guys - I hope so too. I bought this car last year - and only passed 6000 kms since I bought it. God knows where it went previously :-)

I only poured in cheaper Diesel once - when there was a choice.
Always use the better one - and it seems I get more mileage out of it too.

I had a peek into the tank and the Diesel inside seems crystal clean - not to say there isn't any muck on the bottom. Will leave it as is for now :-)

re: It may even be better to completely remove the tank and wash it out

We'll see how it starts cold in the next few days. If I get to that, I'll see to re-weld the bolt I broke too.
Old 18-07-18

Default low fuel fuel starves

I followed Shawty's advice and had RACV change the in tank filter. They discovered a blue flaky material floating , clouding the fuel and coating the filter. Needed a full flush. Their suggestion is the flakes came from the inside lining of a metal gerry can, sprayed by manufacturers to slow corrosion, but it dissolves and comes away and fouls the fuel. Just crossed the nullarbor in it (NT) didn't miss a beat. Don't know if that's relevant to your situation.
Old 19-07-18

So today was the day :-)
The car is on 1/8th of the tank, and hasn't been started for 2 days.
Started on the second revolution - very quick to pick up.

So I can proclaim the problem resolved with the in-tank filter.

Thank you very much Shawty - this would have been the last thing to check. A great find.
Old 19-07-18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickV View Post
I followed Shawty's advice and had RACV change the in tank filter. They discovered a blue flaky material floating , clouding the fuel and coating the filter. Needed a full flush. Their suggestion is the flakes came from the inside lining of a metal gerry can, sprayed by manufacturers to slow corrosion, but it dissolves and comes away and fouls the fuel. Just crossed the nullarbor in it (NT) didn't miss a beat. Don't know if that's relevant to your situation.
Thanks Mick - could just as well be - given the looks of that filter.
Having said that - the fuel was extremely clean (visually).
We'll see how quickly this one clogs up :-)
Old 19-07-18
Valued Member

Is the in tank filter meant to be washable? I remember it being written somewhere. Might have been on the za or uk forum.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk