Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 01-01-19
Valued Member

I was confused about that comment as well, but now I've remembered the valve issues in some engines. They "reckoned" that anything designed for unleaded was fine for LPG, but I don't think that was the case, well for earlier cars post leaded petrol disappearing. I killed a valve on my 98 camry, possibly due to running LPG.

I don't think there would be any issues in any modern engines. Obviously direct injection wouldn't have any fuel lubricating the valve and seat and they seem to be alright.

The valve issue is the only thing that they could be referring to for increased wear and tear, and that is only on some engines in original spec
Old 01-01-19
Valued Member

Interesting comment about valves and LPG. When I bought the TF Magna and the NL Pajero in 2000, it was my intention to have them both on LPG. The Magna was bought second hand - it was an EPA car before. The Mitsubishi blurb for the Magna at the time said that the base model was not compatible for LPG. I phoned Mitsubishi in Adelaide and the guy asked for the engine number. I gave it to him and he told me that my engine (a 3.0 L 24 valve) was suitable for LPG, but the base model was not. My TF Magna was an Advance model and had a suffix 'A' on the engine number. Subsequent 3.5 L Magnas were all LPG compatible, as was the NL Pajero engine. I find it hard to imagine that ALL unleaded engines would not have been LPG compatible, but obviously this was not the case then.
Old 02-01-19
Valued Member

That's interesting. Do you know specifically what the difference was? I would assume valves/seats, but......
Old 02-01-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by disco stu View Post
That's interesting. Do you know specifically what the difference was? I would assume valves/seats, but......

Sorry - I don't know what the difference is, but I vaguely recall someone somewhere talking about differences in the ECU. I suspect that it may be more related to where the engine was made - maybe the base model (non LPG) engines were made overseas and the LPG compliant models were made in Australia? If this is the case, it tends to lean towards different valves or valve seats. All I know was that the Mitsubihsi guy I spoke to told me that it was my lucky day when I gave him the engine number and that was when he explained about the 'A' suffix being LPG compliant.