Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 21-06-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
Nice work. I have a length of 25x3mm aluminium flat bar. Would that be OK to use? Hill, does Hitachi sell just the @*$#Donaldson P551615 3 micron 99% efficiency Filter@*$#or the Donaldson P903316 114LPH, 3 Micron kit?

Hi Vlad

I used steel as I am hoping to remove filer insitu. An aluminium bracket may not have the strength for this process.

I like Geoff's idea of stabilising the bracket using the two bolts on the
firewall
Old 21-06-15
Valued Member

A little project i started today, a bracket for the Donaldson fuel filter thanks to Hills design:

Remove fuel filter bolts and measured 80mm from inside left bolt to start of right bolt

Then a got a piece of Aluminium 30mmx3mm and about 300mm long
came in 20mm then drilled 2x 8mm holes with the required distance between them. (obviously a calculation error somewhere)Then made a slight bend 20mm to suit fire wall curves

Cut, drilled and placed a little marine carpet for baffling, probably overkill, better to be sure then remove all of it again.

Removed baffling one small push clip removed only and all came away easy. Then Drilled a 9.5mm hole through firewall, and inserted a nut cert screw hole.

Bolted on bracket and tested a 50mm bolt

With advice from other forumites about strengthening the original design idea from Hill. I Placed a washer then 4 small nuts on and 1 more washer for 2nd filter support, this is very firm no movement what so ever, tested with engine on no vibration, also allowing room for filter bolts.

Put back the baffling and screwed in bolt, fits well and might cut down the end of the bracket, when the filter arrives i will take off bracket drill holes and will put another small piece of aluminium between the new filter and the bolts and paint black. I cant see any issues with this design it looks and feels very strong. With the bracket having 3 bolts already and if needed i can make a stay to the bolts underneath quite easily.
I will be using this as a primary filter to start with see how that goes as i have warranty till next march

Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476
Old 21-06-15
Valued Member

Beautiful.

The slotted screw hole looks like a factory made to provide a little additional flexibility in design.

The filter head is flat aluminium and you may need to drill a 10mm recess in the back to accommodate the bolt head.

You may need to remove filter head to change filter as the rubber seal tends to stick after being in place for a period of time.
Old 21-06-15
Valued Member

Slightly off-topic, but I have a Donaldson filter head mounted on a bracket bolted to the two factory bolt holes. I use the Donaldson as a pre-filter, meaning that the Factory filter is the secondary. However, to get the fuel from the Donaldson to the factory filter, the fuel line has to arch up in the air somewhat, meaning that the hose tends to rub on the underside of the bonnet. Has anyone moved the angled inlet pipe from the factory filter to a flatter angle? I wasn't brave enough to try that (yet).
Old 21-06-15
Valued Member

I plan to use the bolt that the plastic clip nut is screwed onto to secure the baffle. Anyone see any issues with this? I will be using a 35mmx3mm aluminium with the two holes for the OEM towards the bottom edge and the new one towards the top edge, keeping the bar level. I will have to bend it back to follow the buldge in the baffle.
Old 21-06-15

i thought about doing it but chickened out.
to me it looks like the fact filter pipes are a press in job could not see any hints of a thread.
to top it off a replacement filter head was $100 from a wrecker on ebay.
I used Z hose and extra elbow fittings on second filter head to get a 'neater' finish after i also found normal fuel hose rubbed on the bonnet.
Old 21-06-15
Valued Member

I took some brave tablets and applied a pair of vice grips to fitting. It is factory pressed into position.

Fitting as secondary filter is always an option!!
Old 21-06-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladguan View Post
I plan to use the bolt that the plastic clip nut is screwed onto to secure the baffle. Anyone see any issues with this? I will be using a 35mmx3mm aluminium with the two holes for the OEM towards the bottom edge and the new one towards the top edge, keeping the bar level. I will have to bend it back to follow the buldge in the baffle.
I had the same idea but my uncle reckoned that bolt is too small and not strong enough. Also dont know how it is secured and really holding nothing serious in place.
Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476
Old 21-06-15
Valued Member

A piece of steel will eliminate the need for secondary mounting points

Last edited by Hill; 25-03-19 at 12:49 PM.
Old 21-06-15
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill View Post
A piece of steel will eliminate the need for secondary mounting points
Certainly is a good piece of steel.
I agree with the bracket I just want to illuminate any vibration movement.
Can you possibly post a pic from the side of the filter mounted?