• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sharkcaver
    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
    • May 2009
    • Perth

I have been looking around for a tyre repair kit, many different brands and types out there, I am only looking at an emergency kit just to keep me going, hopefully will never have use it. These kits for a small amount of $$$$ seems a good idea to have one sitting in the back just in case.
    What kits do forum members have, if any, what are proven worthwhile and what are not worth the money, lots of kits around the $30.00 / $40.00 mark seem OK, like I said emergency only just to get you home I don't believe they are a permanent fix.
    Just to add more weight to their worth, recently I saw a polyair bag repaired with one of these kits in a remote location, a few hundred K'm's from the nearest help. Nothing else solved the issue.

So are they worthwhile carrying around in the back of the car?....IMO, definitely.
    MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Gus
      Administrator
      • Mar 2008
      • Traralgon. Vic

Tyre plug kits I have 1 & used it successfully on the old 80 Series I had I agree with OJ when you have a flat if you have a spare change it.. But in saying that in some cases that's just either not possible due to where you have the flat! or some other reason! Bottom line is if you use a plug kit drive a few ks after & check pressure easy really.. Oh & back then I was a little lazy did about 5000ks before I changed the tyre, for sake don't ever do that if you plug a tyre it's to get you out of trouble at the earliest chance change or have the tyre fixed..

Gus.
      VX 200 Series 4.5L Twin Turbo-Diesel V8 Landcruiser HERE
      NM Exceed 3.2 DID Auto Pajero. (SOLD) With a few Mods. HERE

How to get Forum Decals

Comment

• old Jack
        Regular
        • Jun 2011
        • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by Blutak View Post
        WTF? P rated tyre at 35 psi doing 85 on the gibb? The tire didn't fail! The twat driving failed!

He failed to maintain correct tire pressure.
        He failed to drive according to the conditions.

The most common reason that people end up in the crap or on their roof off road is because they fail to rub 2 brain cells together!

Common sense reigns supreme people...

As for plug kits, I've used a dr air $15 jobbie for years. Brown wax plug, just like the 'permanent' repairs used by tire shops.

The phrase 'emergency use only' is used by any company that wishes to avoid liability.

After growing up in the pilbara, I know first hand that getting home with a slow leak from a plug is a damn sight better than sitting for an indefinite amount of time in the middle of nowhere slowly dying of heat stroke or dehydration.

The rule of the north west is 2 spares, 2 tubes, a plug kit and a frikkin brain.

End of rant...
        Agree with you Blutack on the "common sense rule" but this is something money can not buy and people are often given a false information by the aftermarket industry and magazines. 99% of the time it does not matter but I for one am not going to risk my families life on a quick, cheap and convenient tyre repair.

In regards to "Brown Wax Plugs, just like the permanent repairs used by tyre shops" This simply is not true, the these types of plugs are often called "self vulcanising" and use a lubricant on insertion.
        Chemical Cold Vulcanising plugs made by TECH or Rema Tip Top use a glue and this is what is used by tyre repair shops in conjunction with a radial patch if a mushroom plug is not available or suitable.

cheers, old Jack.
        2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
        MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• Blutak
          • Oct 2013
          • Bunbury WA

Be very proud of your local tyre shops. There is only one here that I know of that actually removes the tire and uses a proper plug. The rest stuff a wax plug in and charge 40 odd dollars for it.

Another snippet of info is from a youtube vid I watched. A fellow repaired a sidewall cut by sewing it with some high strength cord then used a good old vulcanised patch on the inside of the carcass as a last ditch 'limp home' measure. DEFINITELY NOT RECOMMENDED FOR HIGHWAY USE!

It has become part of my emergency repairs kit though. Thankfully I haven't had to see whether or not it works!

PS: where do you get the vulcanising plugs from? Can't find them locally.
          Blutak is a 1990 NG EXE, 2.6, blue faded paint, 412 000 km, extractors, bump and droop stop shave, 100/130w globes in stock lights (inc melted plugs...), saggy springs, shocking shocks, crap tires, loose nut behind the wheel.
          Blutak, cos thats all that's holding her together. ..
          Now she has 485'000km, same everything with a 2.5' pipe, straight thru muffler and cat delete. Also a set of leaf springs from a 96 triton that gave me a $100 2 inch lift.

Comment

• old Jack
            Regular
            • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Blutak View Post
            PS: where do you get the vulcanising plugs from? Can't find them locally.
            Unfortunately your local Auto Shop or 4x4 store only normally carry the wax types. I can never understand why it is not illegal to sell something and make a profit on a product that is then illegal for the consumer to actually use, this happens all the time in the Auto aftermarket industry and it is the average person that suffers and becomes incorrectly educated.
            What every happen to our consumer protection laws!
            Shame on the ABC's & XYZ's of the 4wd aftermarket industry that strut around spruiking their wares and "professional" advise.

How to by the correct gear!
            Google; Rema Tip Top and Tech International, either of these should be able to give you the name and contact details of the Area Rep that drives around, visits and resupplies the tyre shops. Use their online catalogue so you have the part numbers so you can order what you want. Sometimes they will not sell directly to the public as they are not setup for small cash customers so it helps if you have an ABN. If this happens they should be able to tell you which tyre store you can order through. Print of the photos from my post # 10 on 17/7/13 and this is what you are looking for. This gear will give you a chemical cold vulcanising plug kit for emergency use that is much safer and technically superior results.

Always after a temporary repair, take the tyre in to a good tyre shop for demounting, internal inspection, cleanup, radial patch and seal liner as even chemical cold vulcanising repairs done externally with plugs only are not a legal permanent repair in Australia.

cheers, old Jack.
            2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.

Comment

• Scouter1
              Valued Member
              • Mar 2013
              • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
              How to by the correct gear!
              Google; Rema Tip Top and Tech International, either of these should be able to give you the name and contact details of the Area Rep that drives around, visits and resupplies the tyre shops.
              I just spoke to Repco Tyre Repair Products on 02 96743500, they are resellers for Tech in Australia.
              2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• Scouter1
                Valued Member
                • Mar 2013
                • Sydney NSW

I just bought a Tech Permacure truck kit with auger, insertion tool & spare needle, vulcanising fluid, and 40 x vulcanising plugs in a steel case for $108 off the Repco area rep. Home delivered too!
                2011 Silver NT GLS DiD Auto with extra bits - build thread http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=36099

Comment

• Ent
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2014
                  • Tasmania

What are people's thoughts on the Safety Seal system. Anyone used one and where did you get it?
                  2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• old Jack
                    Regular
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Ent View Post
                    What are people's thoughts on the Safety Seal system. Anyone used one and where did you get it?
                    Post 3!

OJ.

Comment

• Ent
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2014
                      • Tasmania

Ok best place to get them as locally same old trash sold.
                      2014 PC Challenger, manual, factory tow-bar, factory front diff protector, TJM inter-cooler plate, Bushskinz manual transmission protection plate, ProRack S16 roof racks, front elocker, Drummond Motor Sport front struts, custom 16mm King rear springs with Bilstein Dampeners, Buzz Rack Runner 3 bike platform, Eclipse Nav head unit, GME TX3800BW UHF, 16x8 CSA Raptor rims, 265/75R16 Maxxis MT-762, orToyo AT/2 265/70R16 Triton rims, BFGoodrich 235/85/R16 Triton rims, or Factory tyres and rims.

Comment

• old Jack
                        Regular
                        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by Ent View Post
                        Ok best place to get them as locally same old trash sold.
                        I think you can still get Tip Top Rema from Repco. Tech Permacure is much harder to get, normally only a a available direct from the wholesaler,

OJ.

Comment

• Sweefu
                          • Jun 2017
                          • VIC

Does anyone have a link to one of the quality tyre repair kits mentioned in this thread? All the kits I can find just have the regular Brown plugs - it looks like ARB, Ironman and cheapies all use similar materials.
                          Cheers!

Comment

• Scouter1
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2013
                            • Sydney NSW

Originally posted by Sweefu View Post
                            Does anyone have a link to one of the quality tyre repair kits mentioned in this thread? All the kits I can find just have the regular Brown plugs - it looks like ARB, Ironman and cheapies all use similar materials.
                            Cheers!
                            http://www.repcotrade.com.au/files/d...017PROOFLR.pdf Tech Permacure kit is on p30 of the catalogue, suggest having a chat with your local Repco trade rep to source one:

Repco Support Office
                            22 Enterprise Drive
                            Rowville VIC 3178
                            Telephone (03) 9566 5444
                            or
                            Telephone 133 227 for your nearest Repco Store

Cheers,
                            Stephen

Comment

• HeavyPizzaz
                              Valued Member
                              • May 2017
                              • Sydney

Anyone want to speculate how long those brown plugs would last in a bag in the dark? 2 years? 10? 20?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• old Jack
                                Regular
                                • Jun 2011

The brown wax temporary plugs effective life will depend on the storage conditions, kept in a cool, dry place and wrapped in plastic then they should have a long life.

Need to remember that the Brown Wax plugs are only an emergency fix only and there are many tyre repairers that will not do a correct repair on a tyre that has had a temporary plug fitted because the wax can contaminate the hole so a cold chemical vulcanising repair may not bond and seal correctly.

For cold chemical vulcanising glue, it goes off quickly once opened so by multiple smaller tubes. Even in unused sealed tubes the glue has a limited life of just a few years.

OJ.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X