Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 21-01-13
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colcam View Post
Coincidentally there's a bloke in America working for a fuel company and he delivers the exact amount as in Melbourne.

"...Kinder-Morgan Pipeline here in San Jose, CA. We deliver about 4 million gallons in a 24-hour period from the pipe line; one day it's diesel, the next day it's jet fuel..."

The following sites have done some research albeit from media sources

http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/aut...umping_gas.htm

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/gastips.asp
Wow. So it's not just Microsoft and AOL and cancer spam, there's petrol spam too!

1993 NH GLS Manual, 3.0 LPG, 31s, Iron Man Torsion and Coils, Lovells Shocks, 30mm body lift, Manual Hubs, Extractors and god awful droning 2.5" exhaust
Old 22-01-13
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppy View Post
i wonder if mister bishy will have waved his wand and done some magic to get the fuel temp where he wants it prior to injection. might just be acheived by those fuel rails sitting close to the engine between the injectors.
In both diesel and petrol Pajeros (and most other makes) excess fuel is returned from the injector pump / fuel rails to the tank and will eventually heat the tank up quite noticeably. In Diesels the excess fuel circulation is used to cool the pump and the excess flow is several liters per minute.

Pat
Old 22-01-13
Valued Member

So if you are pumping diesel one day avgas the next where does the flushing fuel go. Mixed in I suppose and so diluted it does not matter ? Hi octane (cetane) diesel !!
MY05 Exceed Di-D Auto, TuneIt chip, Turbo Timer, Aux.Trans cooler, Low Water Alarm, 20" Light bar, Bilsteins, H/D rear springs, B/Stone D697 L/T tyres, TPMS, MCC Alloy Bar,+90Narva H/L globes, Roof Console w/-GME 3340 uhf.Magellen GPS & Hema Hn6,Ark battery box w/-135a/h GEL, 60Lt FridgeMate,100W Solar, Ctec Dc-DC charger, Rola Aero Bars, UpTop Awning, Wheelie Bin, WetSeat covers, Crash cam.
Towing. '00 Gazal Infinity ATV 18' Caravan.
http://mefi.us/images/fuelly/smallsig-metric/93405.png
Old 22-01-13
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrexy View Post
So if you are pumping diesel one day avgas the next where does the flushing fuel go. Mixed in I suppose and so diluted it does not matter ? Hi octane (cetane) diesel !!
Just goes to show that the email is spam, as there's never just one pipe in fuel-pipelines systems & all the different products are piped separately in separate pipes! What governs what is pumped, is simply 'supply-demand' & capacity to store it at either end! (Notice the typo where someone failed to correctly convert all the 'gasoline' references to 'petrol'!)
The links to the other About webpages are interesting to read;
http://urbanlegends.about.com/gi/o.h...s-part-ii.html
http://urbanlegends.about.com/gi/o.h...-the-tips.html
One point they refer to is the issue of filling up at the servo just after the tanker has refilled it not causing problems but I experienced bad fuel this way (stalling towards the end of an off-road trip 20+yrs ago), plus my latest purchase of a J-top wouldn't have been if it wasn't for some bad diesel!
Lately I've noticed that many older servo-tanks are being dug-up to be replaced (or the servo closed-down), with polymer-lined tanks that won't corrode/contaminate fuel. As they've made late model vehicles more fuel-efficient, they've also become less tolerant of poor-quality fuel.

Steve

Runner-Paj; '95 NJ SWB 2.5L TD GL J-Top, low kms Project-Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, also low kms. Donor Paj; '92 NH SWB 3.0L V6 GLS Hardtop Triple-pack, with some parts & goodies to go onto other GLS.
"I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me all at once!"
Old 22-01-13
Valued Member

The fact that the initial blurb mentions "petroline" in the text just screams "find/replace" Gas for Petrol. So it was originally written for idiots in the USA who are suckers for this stuff...

Of course it's 99% bull$hit, why do people believe everything they read without question ??
Old 22-01-13
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrexy View Post
never seen flushing fluid used on a tanker and I've just spent seven years running tankers.
Current vehicles: 1995 3.5l nj Pajero x 2, 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 Jeep Patriot, 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495
Currently wrecking nh gls lwb, nh gl pov pack, 2 x nj gls lwb nl lwb, NH glx manual, 92 L300 delica