Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 2 Pajero

Generation 2 Pajero NH - NL Models 1991 - 2000

Old 08-01-08

Default Rusty Sunroof

Hi all,

I have a 92 NH with a rusted sunroof. Couple of years ago I looked into getting it fixed or replaced but didn't find a solution that suited at the time.

The roof doesn't leak at the moment so haven't been in a hurry to fix it.

The sun roof can't be found at wreckers as most have the same problem. Mitsubishi want $750 for a new one and I don't really want to fill in the hole with a bit of new panel.

Just wondering if any one has found some one who imports them from overseas or know of an after market solution.

I am in the Sydney area.

Thanks

Terry
Old 19-09-08

Have You Found A Solution Yet ? Same Problem
Old 19-09-08
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by werner View Post
Have You Found A Solution Yet ? Same Problem

Have you tried all the wreckers? I picked one up, it has a bit of rust, but nothing that cant be fixed. Was a 92 model as well, but did look like it had been undercover for most of its life, paint work was excellent.

Only paid 50 bucks for it.

Shane
Old 19-09-08
Valued Member

have you thought of removing the sun roof and hitting it with a grinder to remove the rust sections then a bit of rust convertor, xtroll, bog , prime and finish. you can use pressure pack cans for the pimer and finish colour.
NS 3.2 Diesel, Polor White , Black CSA Rims, HanKook Dynapro AT Tyres, 3 inch custom stainless steel exhaust with free flow Cat & Muffler, 50mm Lift, Old Man Emu Shocks and Springs, TJM Bullbar powder coated White, Custom 7mm Sump Guard & Transmission Guard, 8 inch LED Spotties plus 20 inch LED Light Bar, rear Reverse LED Light, ARB Roof Cage , Tiger11 Awning.
Old 19-09-08

wow, $750 is cheap, who is that through? mitsubushi quoted me $1700 and sunroof place $1600 i have same issue NH LWB. My sunroof had also seized, and so i have taken the entire unit out of the car, it is huge!!! and one of the steel tubes at the front had rusted up and seized the cable inside, so i replaced it with some tubing from the fuel tank vent of a 69 kombi i still have rust issue tho. for $1600 i reckon i could get the glass made to order and the steel custom made for that!
I am planning on making the steel frame from scratch and if i can't get the old steel and adhesive off the glass i will go for an acrylic panel. i might make up some plans for those who need to do the same. one thing i am stuck on tho.. where can you get some kind of generic seal suitable for elec sunroof edging? (sunroof place wants $275 for seal alone).
Old 19-09-08
Valued Member

One of the blokes on the delica forum made up like 10 or more, sunroofs out of perspecs. They all got sold straight away, but maybe try and talk to him for some Idea's. Should be able to find the bloke with a bit of a search.

Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by smccask View Post
wow, $750 is cheap, who is that through? mitsubushi quoted me $1700 and sunroof place $1600 i have same issue NH LWB. My sunroof had also seized, and so i have taken the entire unit out of the car, it is huge!!! and one of the steel tubes at the front had rusted up and seized the cable inside, so i replaced it with some tubing from the fuel tank vent of a 69 kombi i still have rust issue tho. for $1600 i reckon i could get the glass made to order and the steel custom made for that!
I am planning on making the steel frame from scratch and if i can't get the old steel and adhesive off the glass i will go for an acrylic panel. i might make up some plans for those who need to do the same. one thing i am stuck on tho.. where can you get some kind of generic seal suitable for elec sunroof edging? (sunroof place wants $275 for seal alone).
Old 19-09-08

Yeah I have the same problem with my 92, sunroof rusted along the front edge. The main issue for me is that the motor wont open or close the roof properly. It wont open unless i slide the inner roof lining back, and wont close once it gets the wind deflector, I have to pull on it for it to close and even then it doesnt close 100%. It doesnt worry me at the moment, but we are only a month or two away from the wet season up here and an open sunroof is not what you want with 300mm+ rain per day :S Any ideas how i can fix this?
Old 20-09-08
Valued Member

At a guess I would say have a go at tightening up the clutch on the motor.

You should be able to get access by removing the sunroof switch.

Shane
Old 21-09-08

thanks mad mac, but i can't find the posts on the Delica forums .. woudl you happen to remember any key words for search that might help track that info down? (or the specific forum website)
Old 30-06-09

Default sunroof

It wont close due to corruption and gunk in the movable parts. Rust flakes expand plus water and grime are too much for the engine. Maybe even the seals are pushed out too due to expansion of rusted matel also = bad fit. Strip and clean then lubricate the whole she bang. Biggish and fiddly job but costly to get someone else to do. Do check the drains pre wet season. A bad fit means they will be used and commony block up. One of mone had atherosclerosis!! Total block = overflow and a Wet seat = that wet car smell. good luck.