• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rosahan
    • Apr 2010
    • Heidelberg Vic

Oil Filling

Hi all.
    I am changing all of the oils and am having difficulity with my old syringe. Can anyone suggest or recommend a pump or similar device for filling the diffs, gearbox and transfer case? I have seen one on evilbay for $14.99 plus postage. Any thoughts about these?
    thanks
    Lindsay
    Landcruiser 200 series 2012 Diesel VX with similar set up to the Paj.
    New Jayco Sterling van 23.72.1 bought December 13
    Have now sold our 2010 MY10 GLS Auto DID,Cool Silver.
    Home made rear shelf, provision for 2nd battery in dicky seat space, roof bars, nudge bar and Varta driving lights . Other Toys: 1971 MGB & Benson Clubman Kart, Boat out of use at the moment. 25 ft caravan bought Feb 2010. Lots of touring to come. More hobbies than time allows.
  • psproule
    Valued Member
    • Jun 2007
    • Googong, NSW

Go get a cheapish pump up garden sprayer - about $14.95 at Bunnings et al. Cut the spray wand off and you will be left with a hose about the right size to go in the diff and transmission filler holes. Fill with the required amount of oil, put the hose in the filler, give it a few pumps and come back in 10 mins or so. Works a treat. Make sure not to cross contaminate between the oil types by draining it and the hose between fills.

Also, make sure you fill your manual with Castrol VMX-M (note - it must be "-M"). It is made specifically for MM transmissions. It's the best oil in these manuals and makes quite a bit of difference to shift quality. I have tried other oils but keep coming back to this one and the difference is quite remarkable. My dealer did the last change and used something else and the cold shift feel and syncro baulk was awful. Swapped back to VMX-M and all feels good again. Even the landcruiser crowd recommend this oil.

Another thing to note is the recommendations on rear diff oil. Yours probably still has the Torsen LSD (if it does not have TC it will have the Torsen)? Most of the website lube finders recommend LSD oil but the torsen is not a conventional LSD at all and does not necessarily require LSD oil. Follow the oil grade recommended in the owners handbook and not the lube guide recommendations. With your 25ft Van I'd be running a synthetic in the rear diff and tow it in 4H to spread the drivetrain load. Unfortunately all of the web lube guides draw from the one database and I have seen several errors in it compared to the handbooks.

Pat
    2016 Mitsubishi NX Pajero GLX
    2011 Landrover Freelander II SD4

Comment

• gaz1
      Valued Member
      • Jun 2007
      • Blue Mountains NSW

That's a good idea Pat - much better than the hand pump I usually use that requires you to lay under the Pajero pumping! Next time.

I wonder if there is any downside to actually using synthetic LSD oil in the Torsen diff? That's what I have in mine at present (didn't read the book properly) but I guess changing it again isn't all that big an issue.

Gaz
      2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• rosahan
        • Apr 2010
        • Heidelberg Vic

Thanks Pat, I was hoping you would be the answer(er). I have already bought VMX-M for the gearbox. Am I right in using it also for the transfer case? I have bought Castrol synthetic SAF-XA for the diffs. At $26.95 for a litre container I thought it would be worthwhile putting it in both diffs.
        regards
        Lindsay
        Home made rear shelf, provision for 2nd battery in dicky seat space, roof bars, nudge bar and Varta driving lights . Other Toys: 1971 MGB & Benson Clubman Kart, Boat out of use at the moment. 25 ft caravan bought Feb 2010. Lots of touring to come. More hobbies than time allows.

Comment

• psproule
          Valued Member
          • Jun 2007
          • Googong, NSW

Gaz, a torsen is just a set of gears, and the viscous coupling in the MM ones is a sealed unit, so no problems with synthetic. It's also the reason they don't need friction modifiers (LSD oil). They dont have any clutch packs or cones.

Lindsay - yes, VMX-M in transmission and transfer. Unfortunatly you need about 6 litres in total. I think you will find both diffs will take a bit more than a litre together as well.

Pat

Comment

• schnitzel
            Valued Member
            • Dec 2009
            • Bendigo

Originally posted by rosahan View Post
            Thanks Pat, I was hoping you would be the answer(er). I have already bought VMX-M for the gearbox. Am I right in using it also for the transfer case? I have bought Castrol synthetic SAF-XA for the diffs. At $26.95 for a litre container I thought it would be worthwhile putting it in both diffs.
            regards
            Lindsay
            If you live in a regional area and have a BP depot near there check them out, I sell the safxa for under $20 a litre. If your in Bendigo drop in and tell me your part of this forum and I can sell it to you.
            Current vehicles: 2017 Toyota Hilux, 2022 Hyundai Kona,2022 VW T-Cross1995 3.5l nj Pajero , 1995 2.8td Mitsubishi Delica,2011 , 2 x 1971 ta 22 celicas, 74 ta 22 celica, ke 35 corollla with 18rg, 95 gtr 1000, 79 leyland terrier bus ( 350 chev),1978 ke 35 corolla, 1980 ra 40 celica 18rgeu,2011 agricat jd495,chamberlain g6 plus a few other odds and ends

Comment

• gaz1
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007
              • Blue Mountains NSW

Thanks Pat - anytime I can avoid getting under, I will, so that's good news.

Gaz
              2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• Herman4x4
                Valued Member
                • Oct 2009
                • Melton, Victoria

IN the current 4WD Action mag, a guy wrote in and had a pic of how he does it. He puts a hole in the lod, run a hose through it, then he somehow puts like a value stem on the top of the container, attaches his 12v compressor and uses the air pressure to push the oil up the hose and into his diff/gearbox.
                Cheers,
                Andrew.

2008 NS Diesel Auto - stock as a rock. Planning Tow bar, dual battery system, cargo barrier, bullbar, winch, lights, roof rack and suspension.
                Jayco Starcraft 17.58-3.

Comment

• rosahan
                  • Apr 2010
                  • Heidelberg Vic

Thanks everyone for your answers. I bought a special oil pump (Orcon) which cost me a bit over $11.00. It did the job very well even with the thick diff oil.
                  As a matter of interest every time I change the engine oil I miss-judge the amount and end up over filling, to the point where I have to drain a little out by removing draining and then replacing the oil filter. My guess is that I would not have needed more 7 litres even with the filter change. It would be interesting to know how much oil the Mitsubishi dealers are charging for when they do an oil change!!!!!
                  regards
                  Lindsay

Comment

• psproule
                    Valued Member
                    • Jun 2007
                    • Googong, NSW

Huh? The DID should take about 8.5 litres when changing the sump and filter. The filter holds about a litre on it's own. Are you checking it before or after having fired it up to fill the filter and galleries? I prefer to fill my filter with fresh oil before putting it on.

Pat

Comment

• rosahan
                      • Apr 2010
                      • Heidelberg Vic

Hi Pat.
                      Definitely checking after starting and ensuring that the filter and galleries are full. I suspect that there is a significant amount of oil not draining out when emptying.
                      I like your idea of filling the oil filter before installing it. I guess it minimises the time the engine runs without oil pressure on that initial start-up.
                      thanks again
                      Lindsay

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X