Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-3 Pajero

Generation 4-3 Pajero NW model 2011 - 2014

Old 09-09-19

I use the Cruisemaster DO35 coupling (with handbrake) with inverted hitch and spare wheel lift. I don't have a suspension lift on my vehicle yet.

This arrangement leaves just enough room to get to Cruisemaster coupling onto the pin and enough clearance for the door to swing open clear of the coupling and hand brake.

This maximises the hitch height (to suit my camper trailer) while leaving enough room for the door to open properly
Old 09-09-19

If you have a look at the level of the bottom of your spare tyre - if you have a spare wheel lift kit fitted, the bottom of the tyre is about the same level as the lower edge of the rear door. Without the lift kit, the tyre will hang about 40-50 mm lower than the door. All the lift kit is is a spacer plate which bolts to the spare wheel mount, with a second higher set of mounting holes which you then use to mount the spare. On NX model, at least mine, the spare wheel cover looks terribly unfinished with the kit in place and the top section of the plastic cover removed. I think the NW might retain more of the cover, and looks a bit better.

And yes, the newer alko hitch does require a pin in place of the std tow ball, the pin comes as part of the kit. I got the kit from Supercheap on a 20% off sale, for $240.

Hope this helps some.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default mchitch + longer towing hitch + stone stomper

+1 for the mchitch, I don't know why it took so long to buy one. I fitted an extended reach towing hitch (300mm) and a stone stomper (which means I could ditch the stone deflector on the trailer and shift everything backwards. The door clears everything now and hitch up is a quick and effortless exercise.

choppa
Old 6 Days Ago

All this boils down to the fact that Mitsubishi designers thumbed their noses at conventional wisdom and put the spare in the centre of the door.
Of course this was going to cause problems, not the least that the weight is further away from the door hinges, resulting in more leverage, and directly in line with hitches etc.!!
Then they had the hide to charge us for lift kits!
My dealer went from $120 to $70 for the kit, thanks to a couple of whinges from me, and I have fitted a Mr. Hitches tow bar for my caravan, with a slight downward angle of the 'van which I prefer.
Hope this helps.
Greg
Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

OzHitch is like Treg but with horizontal pin.

I can open the rear door fully and don't need a Spare Lift kit.
Old 5 Days Ago
Valued Member

I have modified the original caravan hitch so that it does not foul the read door - it works great. And I don't have the spare wheel lift kit fitted. Even better! - Until I come to tow another person's trailer and then I am back to square one. The simplest thing is to get a spare wheel lift kit fitted (which I don't have) and then there are no troubles at all.
Old 5 Days Ago

I have the McHitch with the rear wheel lift and there is plenty of clearance. But i'm not a huge fan of the McHitch as the uni-joint on it shifts the centre of gravity of the hitch 100mm further out from the vehicle. I dont think the Treg or DO35 have this issue so i would run with one of those over the McHitch given the Paj already has a long towbar before adding the McHitch