• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HeavyPizzaz
    Valued Member
    • May 2017
    • Sydney

Rear ply shelf question

Stupid question perhaps because I’m great at being stupid.

If I want to build the simplest and lightest possible shelf for the rear for an upcoming trip, being a single raised sheet of ply, which will have relatively light stuff on top (clothing mainly) plus a 12v evaporative cooler on top (RHS), could I just use 4 or 5 of these to save weight, eg one at each corner and one in the centre forward of the lift up panels...

220g each, steel...

I’m thinking it might move around a bit more than this kind of thing:

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Hatto
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2013
    • Mandurah WA

Firstly, there is no such thing as a stupid question. If we dont know something then the best thing to do is ask. And hopefully the replies you get are from helpful people rather than the not so.
    Personally I think the shelf would possibly be ok for very light stuff if you are on sealed roads. Any weight (even a suitcase) and it would be too wobbly in my opinion.The shelf would need to be attached to the floor in some way though. This will give it a little more rigidity. Otherwise the shelf will move around and probably damage the interior trim. For a once off trip maybe just strap it down to the anchor points in the floor with cam buckle straps or turn buckles. If you're going to be requiring a more permanent setup though, I'd put a bit more time and $ into it.
    Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
    ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Dicko1
      Valued Member
      • Dec 2014
      • Cairns, FNQ

I agree with Hatto. I would use the legs but put 3 down each side. Also if possible I would use a centre few legs to run down the middle of the shelf to help take weight. Maybe mount 2 legs 300mm in from the ends on a piece of 50 x 20mm timber and screw this to shelf. 2 Screws should be enough...maybe even make it moveable. Defunately tie the corners to the anchor bolts as Hatto said.Try and get the legs to sit really flush with the bottom of the side supports to assist with load carrying. On bitumen it will be fine...corrugated roads and you will need the tie downs, extra legs and solid shelf. Good luck.

Let us see the end result also....it may inspire others.
      Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

• Pixie_au
        • Apr 2019
        • Queensland

An early version of a system I made used the aluminium square tubing with plastic connectors and some 10mn strap bracing all riveted together. About 7ply timber along top and sides for rigidity. Good for light weight stuff.

Comment

• Pushbike
          • Jun 2017
          • Sydney

Hi HeavyPizzaz,
          The legs would be fine but I would think about using what I call load boards to sit the legs on. This could prevent punch through of your carpet and at least minimize the compression patches that would occur when sitting the legs directly on the carpet.

The forward area of the floor has a number of projections above the carpet which could snag on loaded items.
          A load board that covers these projections would help. Fix the front load board to the third row seat floor loops with a couple of u Bolts. Then tie the front of your platform to that load board. Note child seat tie downs are not to be used for load tie downs (Mitzi). Rear tie down turnbuckles to the rear tie down loops.
          Like Pixie_au I used al. sq. hollow section and 12mm ply to build setup. Have a look at my posts "Another rear storage unit". I'm on the Northern Beaches if you want to have a look at my setup.

edit: Changed 9 mm ply to 12mm ply
          Last edited by Pushbike; 26-07-19, 04:19 PM.
          Pajero NX GLX MY17, OEM Rubber mats, OEM Towbar and tongue, After market Rev. Sensors, MSA4x4 seat covers, OEM nudge bar.

Remember the science demonstration of a table covered with mouse traps loaded with ping pong balls and the teacher drops a ping pong ball into the middle.
          Well, the ball has been dropped.

Comment

• Daniel-J
            • Oct 2019
            • Brisbane

Be sure to send a photo of how it will be finished, I think it will be cool!

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X