Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 25-05-19

Default Reusing a petrol jerry can for diesel

Hey,
I've got a jerry can, which is currently used for storing petrol. I want to repurpose it for storing diesel instead. Obviously diesel and petrol do not mix well, but if I empty out the petrol then leave it for a few days for any remnant to evaporate will it be fine?

Or would the petrol leave some kind of residue that would then react with the diesel and cause problems?

Luke
Old 26-05-19
Valued Member

Going back and forth between fuels is fine. Just do t use petrol in the plastic diesel jerries. The petrol eats the plastic. Petrol plastic jerries are made of a special plastic.

However, you will never be able to use an old fuel jerry for water. The water will always taste of fuel.

Sent from my S60 Lite using Tapatalk
2007 Pajero LWB 3.2 Di-D
Old 26-05-19
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ePikanini View Post
Going back and forth between fuels is fine. Just do t use petrol in the plastic diesel jerries. The petrol eats the plastic. Petrol plastic jerries are made of a special plastic.

However, you will never be able to use an old fuel jerry for water. The water will always taste of fuel.

Sent from my S60 Lite using Tapatalk

That might be true where you live but in this country the plastic containers are all the same. I have about 10 x 20 litre ones that are over 10 years old and have had a mixture of diesel or petrol (depends on what trip I am doing)...No ill effects on any container.