Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Body and Soul

Body and Soul Discussion about the chassis and body, paintwork, cabin fittings, air conditioning, etc.

Old 16-10-18

Default Scratch

The new girl has a bit of a scratch. Polished out what i could. Are those paint pens from auto stores any good. If so is there a particular brand. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20181016_112103.jpg (179.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 29-10-18

The paint pens leave a raised ridge which is pretty obvious. I would use a very fine paint brush rather than the pen, or dip the paint brush into paint from the pen.
Old 29-10-18
Valued Member

Pen or brush makes no difference - you can get what you need through technique. Anything you buy that's pre=packaged is only going to be colour coded, not colour matched, so likelihood of an exact colour match is fairly low.

Best result will come from a respray with a blend into the rear door. Expect around $800. If you don't want to spend that much then touch-up is the alternative. Fill the scratch in 3-4 coats, allowing each plenty of time to flash off and shrink. When you have the level a little above that of the surrounding paint you can polish it down. Don't expect a perfect repair from damage that is so long and deep.

For jobs like this I use a Paasche pen which allows me to pump in near full strength paint yet remain within the damaged area.