Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > General Information > Fuel and fuel systems

Fuel and fuel systems Petrol vs Diesel, LPG Conversions, premium fuels, and all that gas

Old 27-03-18
Valued Member

I received a call from the insurer this morning advising me they have accepted the claim and Mitsubishi will go ahead with repairs. I asked what was being done and they said it’s a full flush/filters etc as no damage to the pump or injectors is evident. I expected as much and probably could have done the flush myself, but just couldn’t take the risk of there being major damage to the pump etc.

I’m away on a trip at the moment, so not exactly sure of the final bill, but max it will cost me, is the excess of $500, and some pain come renewal time.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Last edited by stevemc181; 27-03-18 at 04:10 PM.
Old 27-03-18
Valued Member

You guys are brave - imagine if YOU then accidentally mis-fuelled it after that discussion! A potential lifetime of grief might ensue..................I think the cap OJ suggested might be very cheap insurance, in more ways than one!
Old 27-03-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
I received a call from the insurer this morning advising me they have accepted the claim and Mitsubishi will go ahead with repairs. I asked what was being done and they said itís a full flush/filters etc as no damage to the pump or injectors is evident. I expected as much and probably could have done the flush myself, but just couldnít take the risk of their being major damage to the pump etc.

Iím away on a trip at the moment, so not exactly sure of the final bill, but max it will cost me, is the excess of $500, and some pain come renewal time.
Thats a relief! Looks like the lower concentration may have saved the day?

The insurer may ask you to sign a "no further claims" clause in relation to this claim, which I would try to avoid or at least get them to agree to cover any other damage that may become apparent as a result of this incident/claim (they would probably want a time limit though).
Old 27-03-18
Valued Member

Glad it's turned out good Steve.

Previously
88 NF SWB 2.6 manual
92 NH LWB 3.0 auto
92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
95 NJ SWB 3.0 auto
99 Cruiser 4.5 manual with all the fruit
Old 27-03-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot01 View Post
Thats a relief! Looks like the lower concentration may have saved the day?

The insurer may ask you to sign a "no further claims" clause in relation to this claim, which I would try to avoid or at least get them to agree to cover any other damage that may become apparent as a result of this incident/claim (they would probably want a time limit though).
They never mentioned it on the phone, just said MM would be in contact and to just pay the excess to MM when I pick it up
Yep, I’d say there was enough lubricating qualities left in the fuel mix to avoid damage!

3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |
Old 27-03-18
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerway View Post
I don't think I'll ever have to worry about my wife putting the wrong fuel in. I'm sure she hasn't put fuel in a car since 1998 when we moved in together . Mind you she hasn't washed a car since then either .
Same here! I cannot remember the last time my wife put fuel in a car - it was a long time ago. At least with our setup, I have the diesel, she has petrol, and she doesn't like driving the diesel (it is too heavy to steer compared to her Outlander).

As for washing the car, we take it in turns to wash the car, except that it is always my turn to wash the cars. I don't know how that one works for her,but it does....
Old 29-03-18
Valued Member

The Paj is back home once again and all seems to be good, The cost of the whole exercise at MM was $762.55 for a cleanout and flush of the tank and lines, new filter, SQL and also an injector service to apparently clean the fuel rail and correct the injector spray? I'm not sure what gizmo they hook up to do this, but they call it "Injector Max Service Equipment"

Anyway the bottom line is all up with towing, the bill would have been around the $950-$1000 mark, but only cost us the insurance excess of $500 with RAC. I had my son pick up the Paj yesterday and he never had to sign anything regarding 'No further claims etc'. So hopefully all is good and we don't have any issues down the track!
Now, I need to send the missus down to refuel it at the servo.

Old 29-03-18
Valued Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemc181 View Post
The Paj is back home once again and all seems to be good, The cost of the whole exercise at MM was $762.55 for a cleanout and flush of the tank and lines, new filter, SQL and also an injector service to apparently clean the fuel rail and correct the injector spray? I'm not sure what gizmo they hook up to do this, but they call it "Injector Max Service Equipment"

Anyway the bottom line is all up with towing, the bill would have been around the $950-$1000 mark, but only cost us the insurance excess of $500 with RAC. I had my son pick up the Paj yesterday and he never had to sign anything regarding 'No further claims etc'. So hopefully all is good and we don't have any issues down the track!
Now, I need to send the missus down to refuel it at the servo.
Your game!!!!
Old 29-03-18
Valued Member

Surely she wouldn't do it again.

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.
Old 30-03-18
Valued Member

Talking

Looking at the dual tank filler, I don’t think any of the available fuel specific cap options would suit. I don’t think they would give enough wiggle room to get the nozzle where it needs to go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dicko1 View Post
Your game!!!!
Yes, I like to live life dangerously

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0415discog View Post
Surely she wouldn't do it again.
Let’s hope not!

Last edited by stevemc181; 30-03-18 at 01:58 PM.