Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum

Go Back   Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria Public Forum > Vehicles > Generation 4-4 Pajero

Generation 4-4 Pajero NX model 2014 -

Old 07-10-19

Default rusty parts

Hi guys

I was trying to fit some plates and I found my new paj had few rusty parts. I ordered rust proof before delivery. And on the first 1500km service dealer didnt update me with this. Shall I be worried? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mmexport1570406600762.jpg (130.5 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg mmexport1570406596911.jpg (144.3 KB, 112 views)
Old 07-10-19
Valued Member

Rust proofing wouldn't include those parts.

Fairly normal to see rust like that on new cars - nothing to worry about - just get it dirty & you won't see it ever again! If concerned, mention it to dealer at next service & get it noted.
Old 07-10-19
Valued Member

Further to that, is getting it rust proofed worthwhile and does it work ?

I'm thinking of a trip like Fraser Island but some reports back would suggest it's not a good place to take your car.
2015 NX GLS, Factory alloy bar, Kings HD Springs & Koni Shocks with 50mm lift, MM Auto Mate, dual batteries with Redarc DC/DC, LRA 58L tank, Safari snorkel, Boo's bash plates (full set), 17" steels with BFG KO2's, Drifta drawers with slide, TPMS, Uniden UH8080S. Goldstream caravan and a TVan Firetail.
Old 07-10-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian H View Post
Further to that, is getting it rust proofed worthwhile and does it work ?

I'm thinking of a trip like Fraser Island but some reports back would suggest it's not a good place to take your car.
I will not fully rely on the rust proofing. If I plan to travel there, I will give my paj a good bath after. I guess my paj got these rust before the spray, so cant confirm if it works so far
Old 07-10-19
Valued Member

When I bought my NL Pajero new, I noted "rust" on the wheel hubs. Naturally, I got rather agitated, but was assured that it was a rust proofing coating applied at the factory prior to shipment. The "rust washed off soon after and there was never any problems after that. The prop shaft nuts and flanges look the same to me. Rustproofing (if applied at all) would not normally be applied to these areas anyway - they supposedly squirt it into the cavities in the body eg the door sills, inside the doors etc.
Old 07-10-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by erad View Post
When I bought my NL Pajero new, I noted "rust" on the wheel hubs. Naturally, I got rather agitated, but was assured that it was a rust proofing coating applied at the factory prior to shipment. The "rust washed off soon after and there was never any problems after that. The prop shaft nuts and flanges look the same to me. Rustproofing (if applied at all) would not normally be applied to these areas anyway - they supposedly squirt it into the cavities in the body eg the door sills, inside the doors etc.
I think these dealer sold & pushed rust proofing's & paint protections are A bit like magic fairy dust & sold for profit alone, opinion only.

Cars are actually made for quite corosive environments in countries that squirt salt on there roads, cold climates etc.
A lot of manufactures use treated zinc plated panel materials etc & thats why you dont see rust buckets like yester year, won't stop rust completley, but certainly slows it down. Pajero from NS memory only has Aluminium bonnet as well, I think to reduce weight.

Raw steel flanges, engine manifolds, exhaust systems, brake rotors always rust, the best treatment would be undercoat & paint, but most likely maybe its not painted as its A mating surface.
It will not cause any problems, will just go rusty surface colour & thats all.

Squirt under car with this few weeks prior to corrosive travel

https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/valvoline-5013-94

If your worried buy this & spray or maybe wipe on as it will stain I reckon. It is good stuff used it for years on rust. Works, stops rust on rusted surfaces, wouldnt squirt on me paint or anything LOL.

https://www.autobarn.com.au/chemtech...250ml-fer-250m

Last edited by Jasonmc73; 07-10-19 at 03:48 PM.