• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveD
    • Jul 2015
    • Charters Towers Qld

Cargo Barrier MM vs Milford

Hi All.

Looking for some feedback on a MM cargo barrier vs a Milford model.

Are they essentially one in the same, just rebadged to suit or are they individually built?

Has anyone had good/bad experiences with either model? Just for the record I have three rugrats, two of that are still in car seats so it is important that I am still able to securely and safely use the child seat anchor points.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    2013 VRX manual. ARB deluxe bull bar. Light force 50W HID driving lights. GME UHF. Redarc 200amp changeover solenoid.
  • Shrike
    • Apr 2015
    • Adelaide

Hi SteveD,
    We bought a MM cargo barrier for our NS Exceed from North East Mitsubishi in Adelaide. It was available in 3 days ex Sydney, compared to 4 weeks from Milford- they don't keep stock for oldr models. The barrier from MM was cheaper than one from Milford. The barrier needed to be a special shape to accommodate side airbags. We had it fitted at an auto upholsterer at about 1/3 the cost of fitting by MM.
    Cheers,
    Greg

Comment

• Sam Pato
      • Jan 2011
      • Brisbane

I have an NS and I did a whole heap of google research without finding the exact answer but I'd be 99% that they are the same.

So I purchased a second hand MM one from Gumtree in good nick.

I was quite surprised to find that its completely straight so (unless you have the back seats bolt upright) it has to be inclined in to the boot space. Not a great design.

If I was buying new I'd be looking at some of the brands that have a better shape - have quick look on eBay.

The other brands also appear to offer a more user friendly installation which might save you a few $s.

Hope this helps

Sam
      Pajero NS GLX 3.2DID 2008, SPVIII, DPF Delete, Inlet Clean, ARB bullbar, Pioneer Platform

Comment

• dimmo
        • Mar 2011
        • Radelaide

I've got a Milford one in my Challenger - it's got looong floor attachment straps which, if you don't have a false floor over the top, get in the way of your gear in the boot.

Comment

• MoreliaMatt
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2013
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Sam Pato View Post
          I was quite surprised to find that its completely straight so (unless you have the back seats bolt upright) it has to be inclined in to the boot space. Not a great design.

If I was buying new I'd be looking at some of the brands that have a better shape - have quick look on eBay.
          You'll probably find they are all like that....

They are straight and lean back into the cargo area so that they clear the side curtain airbags....
          | 2010 NT Pajero GLS Manual DiD |

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
          | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
          | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
          | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Purchased But Still To Fit - | MMA Spare Wheel Lift |

Comment

• geopaj
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by MoreliaMatt View Post

You'll probably find they are all like that....

They are straight and lean back into the cargo area so that they clear the side curtain airbags....
            When I was shopping around for a cargo barrier I ended up purchasing an 'Ausguard' branded one as it has a 'bend' to maximise cargo area space, unlike the genuine ones. It was also the cheapest.

I got mine from 4wd Systems in Adelaide and installed it myself. It was easy to install and only took 1-2 hours.

Top mounts use the 3rd row grab handle mount and the lower mounts use an existing hole in the floor that just needs to be enlarged. Please don't get into a debate about the appropriateness of the Ausguard mounting system - it is Australian Standard Certified and that's good enough for me.

EDIT:
            I've taken a photo to try to show the 'bend' at the top...
            Last edited by geopaj; 12-09-15, 10:20 AM.
            Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2013
              • Sydney

Should your cage not be cut to allow unobstructed passage of the top tether strap? Of course the cut hole would need to be dressed to protect the tether strap.

Here is my Milford with the cut-out and included protector in my NJ.
              Attached Files
              NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• geopaj
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Adelaide

Originally posted by Pajshomoneroguntero View Post
                Should your cage not be cut to allow unobstructed passage of the top tether strap? Of course the cut hole would need to be dressed to protect the tether strap.

Here is my Milford with the cut-out and included protector in my NJ.
                Good spotting. Yes (cut-outs should be cut), yes (cut-out protectors are included), and yes (I will be doing the cut outs)
                Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• SteveD
                  • Jul 2015
                  • Charters Towers Qld

Thanks for all the feedback guys and for the pics geopaj. It appears that no one model is a standout over the others. I have read on some other threads that a few have made some mods to the mounting brackets to maximise the space in the cargo area so maybe I will be look at the same. With the MM item being the least expensive I think I might head down that path. I will keep you posted on the progress and the install.
                  2013 VRX manual. ARB deluxe bull bar. Light force 50W HID driving lights. GME UHF. Redarc 200amp changeover solenoid.

Comment

• Sam Pato
                    • Jan 2011
                    • Brisbane

If you're set on a MM one then keep an eye on Gumtree they come up a fair bit. You'll then need to buy a fitting kit for it.

If you are comparing prices you probably need to factor in the cost of fitting the MM one as if you need to pay someone to do it then the cost will be quite a bit higher than one of the models that comes with a DIY fitting kit (as shown in the pictures above).

Hope this helps

Cheers

Sam
                    Pajero NS GLX 3.2DID 2008, SPVIII, DPF Delete, Inlet Clean, ARB bullbar, Pioneer Platform

Comment

• artuo
                      • Sep 2014
                      • Central Coast NSW

ive got the Autosafe barrier, like the Ausgard one it has a bend in it to save on space and mounts the same. Its a custom height jobby to suit my shelf, so cant comment on the lower anchors. I got it from FNB 4WD out of Adelaide. Delivery was quick especially for a custom one.
                      MY14 NW VRX Graphite DiD, ARB Deluxe CC'd Bullbar, Airtec Snorkel, DIY rear shelf, Autosafe half cargo barrier, GME TX3540S radio, Rhino Pioneer plaform with bits, Foxwing awning, Bushskinz Sump & Intercooler plates, Dual Battery with Redarc BCDC1225LV, Bilstein/Lovells HD suspension, LRA Aux Tank

In Tow; Explorer Lawson camper trailer

Comment

• grhyso
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2012
                        • Perth

If you're set on a MM one then keep an eye on Gumtree they come up a fair bit. You'll then need to buy a fitting kit for it.

If you are comparing prices you probably need to factor in the cost of fitting the MM one as if you need to pay someone to do it then the cost will be quite a bit higher than one of the models that comes with a DIY fitting kit (as shown in the pictures above).

Hope this helps

Cheers

Sam
                        This is what I did, You can order the fit kit from MM part number MR935384. From memory it was $79 and had an odd name like "cargo barrier door kit" or similar. Be aware though that all companies I called would not fit a second hand barrier, so I had to fit it myself which was easy enough, just have to lift some carpet and pull a little bit of trim but you will have to buy some tools. The kit from MM comes with install instructions, and tool list which had some tools listed that weren't necessary. From memory I needed a 16mm metal holesaw, a 20mm holesaw and a 22mm holesaw. Due to not already having these and Masters only stocking these sizes in bosch it cost me about $80 in tools so the whole proccess cost me about $260 including the barrier and 2-3 hours to fit myself.
                        2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• Ozzyoscar
                          • Sep 2015
                          • Australia

Guys

I spent a long time researching looking for the best cargo barrier and to be honest, it went down to my gut in the end and I am glad I did because it gets hard to decide when there are so many on the market.

My paj has a cargo barrier from Travall for my particular car. I was rather impressed with it and I have no problems with it ever since. Not badly priced, was a little annoyed with the shipping costs but other than that, I am happy.

Have a look if you haven't come right yet. http://bit.ly/1JoWgLe

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X