Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Does 5/10 Warranty Apply if a Pajero is not serviced by Mitsubishi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Swampy
    • Apr 2010

Does 5/10 Warranty Apply if a Pajero is not serviced by Mitsubishi?

I am an original owner of an NT Pajero. I am trying to find out whether the 5/10 warranty will still apply if my vehicle is not serviced by Mitsubishi. A friend of mine just purchased a new NW and he was told by his dealership that the 5/10 warranty will not be affected if his vehicle is serviced elsewhere. Indeed, I just phoned the Mitsubishi Head Office Customer Service line and the operator there confirmed the same thing.

However, I have just downloaded the full warranty conditions from the Mitsubishi Australia website http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/assets/pdfs/Mitsubishi%20Warranty%20Terms_Conditions.pdf and it states:

The Initial Warranty is subject to the Vehicle being serviced in accordance with the Service Schedules set
    out in this booklet at the specified servicing intervals for the duration of the Initial Warranty.

But for the extended 5 year warranty and the 10 year powertrain warranty it states this:

The Extended Warranty is subject to the Vehicle continuing to be serviced in accordance with the Service Schedules set out in the Service and Warranty Booklet by an Authorised Mitsubishi Dealer.

I have just phoned Mitsubishi and advised them of the wording in their terms and the operator and her supervisor are baffled. They are escalating this to Mitsubishi General Manager for clarification. Has anyone else queried this and received written notification to state which is correct?
    Last edited by Swampy; 09-08-12, 02:09 PM.
    SAPPHIRE PEARLESCENT BLUE 2010 NT PAJERO RX DID MANUAL - Chrome Grill - Mitsubishi Alloy Protection Bar & Towbar. DARK BLUE MQ PATROL SWB 3.3TD MANUAL.
  • MSF
    Valued Member
    • Jul 2009
    • Sydney, Northern Beaches

I do know that the vehicle needs to be at least "inspected" by a dealer at 3yrs to extend it to the 5yr period, but as I bought mine 2nd hand, the 6-10yr period doesn't apply so I never looked any further into it..

If they agree that the service / owners manual is incorrect - as you mentioned - I would request it in writing so that you don't have any issues down the track should you need to call on the factory warranty.

Comment

• JoshF
      Valued Member
      • Jan 2008
      • Brisbane

My NS which has done 90k and now has 6 months left of its 5 year warranty was last serviced by a Mitsu dealer at 15k...no questions asked at the 3 year mark about who did the servicing and warranty extension completed and documented
      NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
      Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Swampy
        • Apr 2010

Hi MSF, I have requested that Mitsubishi supply their answer in writing. I was just wondering whether anyone else has already gone down this track and what Mitsubishi's official response was.
        SAPPHIRE PEARLESCENT BLUE 2010 NT PAJERO RX DID MANUAL - Chrome Grill - Mitsubishi Alloy Protection Bar & Towbar. DARK BLUE MQ PATROL SWB 3.3TD MANUAL.

Comment

• Swampy
          • Apr 2010

Thanks JoshF, but have you had any warranty claims honored/denied beyond the initial 3-year warranty? i.e. the period where Mitsubishi's warranty document implies the service must be carried out by an Authorised Mitsubishi Dealer.

Comment

• JKohn
            • Oct 2009
            • Adelaide, SA

I think I read in my handbook that it had to ber serviced by a Mitsubishi dealer at least once every 12 months for the warranty to be continued.
            2010 NT GLS DiD - now SOLD!

Comment

• 8seconds
              • Apr 2008
              • Katanning, WA

My NS has just passed it's 5 year warranty mark and we have had to get something fixed so know what the go is. I have owned the car since new but brought it as a demo with 3000k's on the clock. The warranty starts from the date the car was first registered, in our case July 07 although we didn't purchase it until October 07. Bit of a bummer realy as my drivers mirror electric fold in died and we missed warranty by 2 weeks. If the unfelpful crap bags at Southside Mitsubishi in Perth had wanted to help my wife when she dropped in before the warranty was up we would have made it.....

Basically the Albany dealer confirmed 3 years standard with extended 2 years up to 5 to be signed off 6 months before 3 year period up. We had to send our service manual back to the eastern states Cricks Tweed Heads who serviced our car over there while we were travelling and they signed it for us.

The further 5 years up to 10 years for the Drive train only applies to the original owner and no special requirment is needed to confirm this in the way of having anything signed off as long as the vehicle is serviced as recommened by the manufacturer, most reputable mechanics are capable of this. We don't have a local Mitsubishi dealer so use our local Holden dealer who is always miles cheaper, but when valve adjustments or whatever they are need doing at the service intervals we take it to Mitsubishi then. (Very reluctantly) Unfortunately big dealers think $1000+ for a service to a Pajero is normal with all of their "up sell" practices. I have never paid over $400 at my local holden dealer, which is why they get my business.

Comment

• pauld
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2010
                • Melbourne

This MM page doesn't distinguish between warranties http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/...aler-servicing

Thay adverstise it as a 10/5 year warranty, the next line reads "Diamond Advantage is Australia?s best new car warranty"

They can't turn around and then in the fine print separate the warranties and imply that the 4th & 5th years are extended warranty along with the 10 year drivetrain warranty.

The wording under the Powertrain Warranty also implies that you have to get it serviced by MM for the entire duration.

They are skirting the edge of consumer protection laws, I suspect they know it and that is why they generally allow warranty claims in the 4th & 5th years despite servicing records.
                2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• pauld
                  Valued Member
                  • Apr 2010
                  • Melbourne

and then this:

The Mitsubishi 5 year new car warranty provides assurance that your vehicle will be free from defects in materials and factory workmanship under conditions of normal use within Australia.
                  The warranty is subject to the vehicle being serviced in accordance with the Service Schedules set out in the Service and Warranty Booklet, at the specified service intervals for the duration of the warranty.

So, clearly they advertise it as a 5 year new car warranty, and I think it is illegal for them to enforce servicing at a certain place during a new car warranty - looking for the info to confirm this.
                  2015 NX, ARB Bullbar, Bilstein / Lovells HD Front and Kings SP Rear, Polyairs, 17" NP Exceed wheels, D697 LT265/65/17, STEDI Cree 24" 120Watt light bar, Tracklander 2100 Roof Cage, Bushskinz side steps and bash plates, 200AH of Batts under rear floor via Redarc 40 Amp, cargo barrier with custom rear shelf up high, TC mod, EGR mod, catch can, iPhone4 with OBD app, USB ports in all 3 rows, custom storage in rear passenger guard.

Comment

• pauld
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2010
                    • Melbourne

Originally posted by 8seconds View Post
                    when valve adjustments or whatever they are need doing at the service intervals we take it to Mitsubishi then.
                    Why? Are you sure they actually do it? The book says check, the standard MM check is to listen only.

Comment

• Merts
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2011
                      • Bendigo Vic

I checked the wording of the warranty conditions in the Service and Warranty book for my NS.....

The Extended Warranty is subject to the Vehicle continuing to be serviced in accordance with the Service Schedules set out in this Manual at the specified servicing intervals for the duration of the Extended Warranty.

No mention of having to be serviced by MMA.

The detailed warranty conditions on the MMA website say (I've bolded the difference)....

The Extended Warranty is subject to the Vehicle continuing to be serviced in accordance with the Service Schedules set out in the Service and Warranty Booklet by an Authorised Mitsubishi Dealer at the specified servicing intervals for the duration of the Extended Warranty.

I assume newer NT? NW? Service and Warranty manuals have the same wording as the detailed conditions on the MMA website? Even if they do, I reckon MMA would be on shaky ground advertising a 5 year new car warranty and then watering it down with fine print. I'm not convinced they even have the right to insist you present the car at the end of the initial 3 year warranty and 'ask' for the extra 2. A five year new car warranty should just be a 5 year warranty.
                      Merts
                      Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
                      Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Odie
                        • Oct 2009
                        • Tassie

I'm really interested in this thread. I took my car in to the dealer on Monday to have the warranty validation for 5 years. It's nearly 3 yrs old 47k. I asked for 2 warranty jobs to be fixed at the same time (auto clunking into 5th when cold and cruise control was jerky. They knocked me back on warranty extension till a few things are done (some fair - some you be the judge). They then tried to charge me $143 for applying the warranty ecu updates saying I don't service with them so they had to recover their costs! I refused to pay and after several minutes in tense discussion they gave in on the charge.

These are the things they claim require rectifying before stamping the book:

1. Tappets adjusted $476 (my mechanic has only done audible checks) - book confirms so I will get them done
                        2. Coolant flush $132 (my mechanic has tested it each service and its fine) - book requires flush so I'll get it done
                        3. Brake system flush $132 (It had one last service and good quality dot 4 fluid was used) . Dealer claims it's not Mitsubishi fluid so it has to be replaced! I'm going to fight this one - its B.S!
                        4. Diffs and transfer case oil replacement - not quoted (was done last service with higher spec fluids) - I'm not wearing this bs either!

Not sure where to turn. Rang MMA to report dealer charging for warranty - didn't seem concerned. I'll get tappets and coolant done by my trusted mechanic but have no desire to return to dealer for a stamp. Interesting thing is that the dealer's invoice already states a warranty expiry date in 2014 (5 yrs!).

Any suggestions welcome. Would love to name n shame the dealer but its against forum rule. I live in Hobart and am happy to pm dealer details. Their sales staff are great people but their service centre is disgraceful.
                        2009 Ironbark VRX DiD Auto. 3000kg tow bar.
                        Modifications: Polyairs, MMCS Overide, Prodigy Brake Controller, DBA T3 Rotors/Factory Pads

Comment

• JoshF
                          Valued Member
                          • Jan 2008
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by Swampy View Post
                          Thanks JoshF, but have you had any warranty claims honored/denied beyond the initial 3-year warranty? i.e. the period where Mitsubishi's warranty document implies the service must be carried out by an Authorised Mitsubishi Dealer.
                          I have 3 items fixed under warranty and one via another method.

During our Simpson trip last year I had the dreaded upper manifold issue and had it replaced in Oct/Nov 2011. During the same time I had both horns replaced after they stopped working. All done under warranty considering Jan 2012 was the start of my 4th year.

2010 sometime I had my drivers seat back repadded under warranty also
                          NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                          Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• Swampy
                            • Apr 2010

Hi Merts, you?ve saved the day. I went straight to the official Mitsubishi Australia website and downloaded their warranty document from there because I wasn?t near my handbook at the time. I didn?t know the online document would differ from what is written in my handbook. I?ve just checked my NT Owner?s Manual and it says the same thing yours does.

At least now it does not matter what information they give me whenever they get back to me because I have it in writing in my handbook that I can get my Pajero properly serviced somewhere other than Mitsubishi without voiding the 5/10 warranty.

Thanks again!

Comment

• 8seconds
                              • Apr 2008
                              • Katanning, WA

No I'm never sure...this is why I don't trust the big dealers. I really should ask them to take digital photos as part of the service with pictures of my vehicle with covers off etc. All I know is that I've been told the car has to be in for the day, at least this was the case at 45K Service and it is nearly due for its 90K now which is the same service?

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X