• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • denmonkey
    • Oct 2017
    • Newcastle NSW

LED Headlight swap NT

Hey Guys,

I've finally got around to swapping out those horrendous low beams for a set of LED bulbs.

Not wanting to spend a squillion on testing some out, I was happy to throw 35 bucks at them to try them out.

To say I'm impressed is an under statement.

The projector lights in the NT really work well with them and now I can't imagine going back to halogen.

I've been running them now for approx2-3 months and thought I'd do a comparison vid to show others what improvement can be had for under 50bucks and less than 5 minutes fitting.

In my old delica, I tried a heap of different globes and a HID kit. Since it was a reflector system, it just never worked for me or other road users.

I fully expected the lights on the Pajero to be much better but was royally pissed off to find out they were still rubbish in factory format.

I went with the Nighteye h11/h9 and they were a straight drop in fit.
    They are deeper than the originals but I had no issues with clearence.

If you get a chance, I can highly recommend them.

Here's the ones I got

and some comparison shots

and of course heres the vid

cheers Brett
    Attached Files
  • erad
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2015
    • Cooma NSW

That is impressive. My biggest concern is glare to oncoming traffic, but I think you have set the lights slightly lower in throw so that should not be a problem. Now, the next problem would be the sharp contract between your daylight and the night ahead when you dip your lights. Overall, I think the lights are great.

Comment

• paceman
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2018
      • Mackay

great stuff, mate... thanks for the time and footage...

so, i am right in thinking that if i have a 2010 NT activ, i should be able to get a set of these each for high beam and low beam?
      Paceman's NT Pajero

Comment

• gemster
        Valued Member
        • Aug 2012
        • Gold Coast

LED Headlights are NOT ADR Compliant and are Illegal for on-road use....

There is a Blitz happening here ATM and that is No 1 on their hit list, with lifts of greater than 50mm and larger tyres and rims also on the list.... Soo many 4x4 are being towed away from these operations... I have seen more tow trucks than Cops at some inspection sites...

Wouldn't want you to be towed away from one of these 'Operations'.... I was told on the Week-end after I got 'inspected' that this Blitz is Australia Wide in coming months...

And about time too, im sick of driving into a wall of blinding light....

CORRECTION.... Some are Legal but most are Not and ADR Compliance is what these operations are about...

Gemster....
        Last edited by gemster; 10-09-18, 05:17 PM.
        YES. ITS A MITZY . 97 NL 3.5 GLS AUTO (Formally owned by geopaj)__ Snorkel ,2 Uniden Uhfs , Roof Console, 2"lift, TT Suspension, Dual bat, Redarc System, BFG KO2's All Terrains, 55L sub tank, Pioneer sound, Milford cargo barrier, Extractors, SS exhaust, Rear camp light, Free Wheel Hubs, Improved Rear Storage unit, Alarm, Led interior lamps...
        And a 1999 NL LWB... Called 'Project Covid".. Stock Standard.
        ..Both with No Airbags. We die like real Men

Comment

• denmonkey
          • Oct 2017
          • Newcastle NSW

In my testing (LED vs Halogen), the below cut off does not change regardless of the globe inserted into the unit.

You can see the distinct line where the cut off is and how low it is on the van.

In fact I think the LED lens is more focused with less spill than the original globes.

You can see this is one of the pics in the OP.

Maybe it just seems to be because the light it brighter and its harder to see with the standard globes.

I did record a heap of footage talking about how when approaching another vehicle, the projected light does not come up past the lower edge of the other vehicles window line.
          It didn't make the cut in an attempt to keep the video short.

I also did some testing from in front of the vehicle with the camera to check for this issue. Even at 5'4 standing directly in front of the car, I was not dazzled by the lights.
          In fact, I had to lower the camera down to about belly button height to get the lens to flare form the light.

Everything changes though, if you stick these into a reflector headlight assembly. Then you will get flare and be impacting on other road users.
          A guy I know has these in a reflector headlight and gets flashed all the time, despite having angles the lenses downs
          I've been running these for getting near 3 months and am yet to anyone flash me.
          I've also followed friends and asked them about the lights and they have had no issues with them.
          So based on my testing and my road use to date, these are fine provided they are used in a suitable projector assembly.

Paceman, its a GLS model but had some additions added to it at factory.

Being second hand, I couldn't tell ya which ones though.

Cheers Gem, for the heads up.

If they come to where I live, they'll end up taking everything off the road.

Not many standard rigs running around here.

Since the paj has a projector headlamp, I'd be interested how the coppers might identify it from a newer vehicle that has LED lamps in a projector as standard.

I guess time will tell.

If I get pulled for them, I'll be happy to share my down fall with the forum

Erad, Since I edited the vid pretty hard, I don't think the efforts and checks I did to make sure it would not be hazardous to other road users comes across.

If I thought they were, they'd come back out.

cheers Brett
          Attached Files

Comment

• geopaj
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Adelaide

Originally posted by denmonkey View Post

Is it me or does the halogen globe appear to have a greater length of illumination compared to the LEDs? Ignoring the colour difference of the light but comparing the ‘line dashes’ panted on the left of the road, I can see 5 with the halogen but only 2-3 with the LEDs.
            Silver NT VRX Di-D

ARB bullbar | snorkel | Bushskinz & Boo’s guards | UltraGauge MX | 2" lift | Cooper AT3 LT's | dual battery | Superwinch X9 | 80ltr diesel tank | 22ltr water tank | aux trans cooler | MM Lockup Mate | GME UHF | locker/TC mod | SPV EGR | rear LED work light | rhino platform | ARB awning | rear drawers ... & plenty of scratches

My Build Thread - HERE

Previously - NL Pajero (now owned by Forum member 'Gemster')

Comment

• denmonkey
              • Oct 2017
              • Newcastle NSW

Yes I think it's possible. I noticed this a bit when I was testing against the back of the van or against a wall. The 'spill' from the halogens seemed to be greater and the cut off a little less distinct than with the LED.

Obviously the camera doesn't show an exact replica of what you can see with your eyes but the light from the LED is so much more usable and just makes that area that is lit up easier to see.

Good spot

Comment

• NFT5
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2011
                • Canberra

What's happening is that you're only using a portion of the available light. The projector is designed for a light source that emits in an arc of 360 degrees whereas the LED only emits in a 120 degree arc - and even that is optimistic. So, the light that would be reflected from the sides of the reflector bowl with a halogen (or HID) isn't there to be used and all you get is the centre, which is directed mainly at the road surface directly in front of the vehicle.

As you can see in the pictures, there is actually an area of less light in front of the vehicle with the halogens and then the intensity increases further out. This is very much by design, given that you want better distance, not floodlighting right in front of the car where the reflection will actually reduce your ability to see further out.

So the lowly halogen wins, putting more light in the right places even though its output, in lumens, is maybe only one third that of the LED's (somewhat ludicrous) claim.

Also very clear in those pictures is how the unrealistic colour temperature of the LED makes everything look a shade of grey, compared to the halogen where the grass is actually a shade of green and the dirt, brown.
                Chris

Comment

• mrbitchi
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Brisbane

Just make sure you don't visit us up here in sunny QLD. You'll get a canary for sure
                  Cheers, John.
                  LC200 V8 goodness

MY12 LC200 GXL 4.5Lt V8 twin turbo, GVM upgrade, ARB bar, Warn winch, Outback Acc rear bar and dual carrier, TJM sidesteps, Bushskinz, Long Ranger 180Lt tank, Black Widow drawers, cargo barrier, Polaris Awning, +++
                  Ex - NM auto, 2"Kings, Bilsteins, Buckshots, Wildcat headers, 2.75" Mandrel bent exhaust, Injected LPG, Smartbar, Scraper bar, Bushskinz, Custom steps, Dual Batteries, Breathers, Black Widow drawers, Polaris Awning.

Comment

• denmonkey
                    • Oct 2017
                    • Newcastle NSW

Originally posted by NFT5 View Post
                    So, the light that would be reflected from the sides of the reflector bowl with a halogen (or HID) isn't there to be used and all you get is the centre, which is directed mainly at the road surface directly in front of the vehicle.

So the lowly halogen wins, putting more light in the right places even though its output, in lumens, is maybe only one third that of the LED's (somewhat ludicrous) claim.

Also very clear in those pictures is how the unrealistic colour temperature of the LED makes everything look a shade of grey, compared to the halogen where the grass is actually a shade of green and the dirt, brown.

The halogens do certainly direct light out to a greater portion of the lense itself due to their design.

As for the LEDs, as per the video, they only have an emitter on each side. so in effect the light source does not make a complete 360dgree.

Keep in mind that these are in a projector assembly and not a reflector. There is a significant difference between the 2 and the way the LED light is directed.

I'm also with you on the lumen ratings on anything that comes out of China.

and 9000 between them is sure to be a sales gimmick but I have no way of testing that to give you a correct rating on them.

That said, how much confidence do you have in say a narva 120+ globe and their claimed rating ?

With regards to winning though, I can only tell you what MY preference is and the colour tone is less important to me than usable light which allows me better vision.

Even if it just made everything black and white, I'd take that over not being able to see it at all in all its glorious colour.

I tried to get a reasonable representation on the camera but it never gives you an exact replication of what you see with the naked eye.

In those images, they make the halogen look a lot better than it actually is and equally the LED not as good as they are.

I was very impressed indeed with the improvement overall.

Comment

• denmonkey
                      • Oct 2017
                      • Newcastle NSW

Originally posted by mrbitchi View Post
                      Just make sure you don't visit us up here in sunny QLD. You'll get a canary for sure

thanks mate. I've heard about the 'crack down' that's meant to be happening up there on the pajero facebook page.

There were suggestions the other states are next.

I guess we'll see how we go.

I can tell you they don't look any different to a newer car with a projector LED setup, so I'd be genuinely interested to know how they would tell they weren't a factory fitment.

If I get pinged, I'll report back for sure.

cheers Brett

Comment

• denmonkey
                        • Oct 2017
                        • Newcastle NSW

I'm trying to search for any legit information with regards to the swapping out for LED headlights.

Other than the occasional blog piece or ad based website, it's difficult to locate any definitive info.

If anyone finds some, please feel free to post.

The best thing I can find is here with regards to NSW . I'm seeing anything in it with regards to a change to the emitting element change.

Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2017

PCO, Parliamentary Counsel's Office, QLD PCO, QLD Parliamentary Counsel's Office, Legislation, Bills of Parliament, Act, Acts, amendment, amendments, assent, Bill, Bills, by-law, by-laws, legislative database, draft, legal drafting, drafts, electronic legislation, explanatory notes, gazettal, Gazette, Government Information Service, law, laws, legal advice, legal, legislation, legislative, legal opinion, legal opinions, Parliament, Parliamentary, PCO, principal, proclamation, proclamations, legislative publications, legal publishing, regulations, statutory instruments, subordinate legislation

extract

Part 7 Lights and reflectors
                        Note.
                        This Part deals with how the lights on a vehicle must be fitted and work so that the driver can see the road, pedestrians and other vehicles at night, and can signal to others.Other laws provide for when certain lights must be switched on.
                        In this Part, the description “yellow” is used as a more modern term, instead of the description “amber” which is used in earlier legislation and some ADRs.

Division 1 Application of particular requirements
                        69 Part does not apply to particular vehicles(cf ALVSR 2015 r 69; 2007 reg Sch 2 cll 131 and 132)
                        (1) This Part does not apply to a vehicle built before 1931 that is used only in the daylight.
                        (2) This Part does not apply to a vehicle built before 1946 that is used mainly for exhibition purposes.
                        70 Particular requirements apply only at night(cf ALVSR 2015 r 70; 2007 reg Sch 2 cl 83)
                        The requirements of this Part for a light, except a brake or direction indicator light, to be visible over a stated distance apply only at night.

Division 2 General requirements for lights
                        70A NSW rule: lighting devices that can be attached to vehicles(cf 2007 reg Sch 2 cl 82)
                        A device capable of projecting light must not be attached to any vehicle unless it is a device required or permitted to be attached to the vehicle by these rules.
                        71 Prevention of glare(cf ALVSR 2015 r 71; 2007 reg Sch 2 cl 84)
                        A light, except a high-beam headlight, fitted to a vehicle must be built and adjusted to provide the necessary amount of light without dazzling the driver of another vehicle approaching, or being approached by, the vehicle.
                        72 Pairs of lights(cf ALVSR 2015 r 72; 2007 reg Sch 2 cl 85)
                        (1) If lights are required under these rules to be fitted to a vehicle in pairs:
                        (a) a light must be fitted on each side of the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, and
                        (b) the centre of each light in a pair must be the same distance from the longitudinal axis of the vehicle, and
                        (c) the centre of each light in a pair must be at the same height above ground level, and
                        (d) each light in a pair must project approximately the same amount of light of the same colour.
                        (2) Subrule (1) applies to a motor bike with an attached sidecar as if the sidecar were not attached.

Division 3 Headlights
                        73 Headlights to be fitted to vehicles(cf ALVSR 2015 r 73; 2007 reg Sch 2 cl 86)
                        (1) A motor vehicle must be fitted with:
                        (a) 1 low-beam headlight if it is a moped, motor bike, or motor trike with 1 front wheel, or
                        (b) a pair of low-beam headlights if it has 4 or more wheels or is a motor trike, except a moped, with 2 front wheels.
                        (2) If a motor vehicle built after 1934 can travel at over 60 kilometres an hour:
                        (a) each low-beam headlight mentioned in subrule (1) must be able to work in the high-beam position, or
                        (b) the vehicle must be fitted with:
                        (i) 1 headlight that can work in the high-beam position if the vehicle is required to have 1 low-beam headlight, or
                        (ii) a pair of headlights that can work in the high-beam position.
                        (3) A motor bike may be equipped with a headlight modulation system that:
                        (a) varies the brightness of its high-beam headlight or low-beam headlight, but not both, at a rate of at least 200 and at most 280 flashes a minute, and
                        (b) is designed to operate only in daylight.
                        (4) Additional headlights may be fitted to a motor bike or motor trike, or a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels that was built before 1970.
                        (5) Additional pairs of headlights may be fitted to a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels that was built after 1969.
                        (6) Despite rule 25B and any requirement of the third edition ADR, an emergency services vehicle may be fitted with headlights or additional headlights that are capable of flashing if:
                        (a) the headlights flash only when on low beam, and
                        (b) the headlights are wired to operate in conjunction with any flashing or rotating lights fitted to the vehicle as permitted by rule 114 (4).
                        (7) In this rule, an emergency services vehicle means any of the following:
                        (a) a police vehicle,
                        (b) an ambulance,
                        (c) a firefighting vehicle,
                        (d) a Red Cross vehicle used for conveyance of blood for urgent transfusions,
                        (e) a mines rescue or other rescue vehicle,
                        (f) another vehicle that is an emergency vehicle within the meaning of the Road Rules 2014.
                        74 How headlights are to be fitted(cf ALVSR 2015 r 74; 2007 reg Sch 2 cl 87)
                        (1) The centres of low-beam headlights fitted as a pair on a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels must be at least 600 millimetres apart.
                        (2) However, subrule (1) does not apply to a motor vehicle built before 1970 if the centres of its low-beam headlights:
                        (a) were under 600 millimetres apart when the vehicle was built, and
                        (b) are not nearer than they were when the vehicle was built.
                        (3) Each low-beam headlight of a pair on a motor trike (except a moped) with 2 front wheels must not be over 400 millimetres from the nearer side of the vehicle.
                        (4) The centre of a low-beam headlight fitted to a motor vehicle built after June 1953 must be:
                        (a) at least 500 millimetres above ground level, and
                        (b) not over 1.4 metres above ground level.
                        75 How single headlights are to be fitted(cf ALVSR 2015 r 75; 2007 reg Sch 2 cl 88)
                        (1) A motor bike or trike with a single headlight fitted must have the light fitted in the centre.
                        (2) Subrule (1) applies to a motor bike with an attached sidecar as if the sidecar were not attached.
                        76 NSW rule: how additional headlights are to be fitted(cf 2007 reg Sch 2 cl 89)
                        If 2 or more additional headlights are fitted to a motor vehicle with 4 or more wheels, the additional headlights must as far as possible be fitted in pairs.
                        77 Performance of headlights(cf ALVSR 2015 r 77; 2007 reg Sch 2 cl 90)
                        (1) When on, a headlight, or additional headlight, fitted to a vehicle must:
                        (a) show only white light, and
                        (b) project its main beam of light ahead of the vehicle.
                        (2) Headlights must be fitted to a vehicle so their light does not reflect off the vehicle into the driver’s eyes.
                        78 Effective range of headlights(cf ALVSR 2015 r 78; 2007 reg Sch 2 cl 91)
                        (1) This rule applies to a headlight that is on at night.
                        (2) A low-beam headlight must illuminate the road ahead of the vehicle for at least 25 metres.
                        (3) A high-beam headlight must illuminate the road ahead of the vehicle for at least 50 metres.
                        (4) However, a low-beam headlight fitted to a motor vehicle built before 1931, or a moped, need only illuminate the road ahead of the vehicle for 12 metres.
                        79 Changing headlights from high-beam to low-beam position(cf ALVSR 2015 r 79; 2007 reg Sch 2 cl 92)
                        (1) A motor vehicle built after 1934 that can travel at over 60 kilometres an hour must be fitted with:
                        (a) a dipping device enabling the driver in the normal driving position:
                        (i) to change the headlights from the high-beam position to the low-beam position, or
                        (ii) simultaneously to switch off a high-beam headlight and switch on a low-beam headlight, and
                        (b) for a vehicle built after June 1953—a device to indicate to the driver that the headlights are in the high-beam position.
                        (2) A headlight fitted to a vehicle not fitted with a dipping device mentioned in subrule (1) (a) must operate in the low-beam position.
                        (3) When a headlight fitted to a vehicle is switched to the low-beam position, any other headlight on the vehicle must operate only in the low-beam position or be off.
                        (4) In this rule:alternative headlight means a light which is lighted in the place of a headlight by a dipping device.
                        dipping device means a device by which the driver of a motor vehicle, while retaining his or her normal driving position:
                        (a) can cause the main beam of light projected by each of the headlights of a motor vehicle which has 2 headlights or by the headlight of a motor vehicle which has one headlight to be dipped, or
                        (b) can extinguish each of the headlights of a motor vehicle which has 2 headlights or the headlight of a motor vehicle which has one headlight, and simultaneously light 2 alternative headlights or one alternative headlight (as the case may be), or
                        (c) can extinguish each set of headlights where a motor vehicle has 4 headlights, in sets of 2, and simultaneously light one light in each set.

Comment

• denmonkey
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Newcastle NSW

If you're up for some additional reading

Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 19/00 – Installation of Lighting and Light-Signalling Devices on L-Group Vehicles) 2006

again, all I'm seeing is in relation to the beam pattern etc and how headlights are to be fitted to the vehicle...in pairs at a specific height etc etc.

again, happy for others to point out anything of interest.

Comment

• nj swb
                            Resident
                            • Jun 2007
                            • Adelaide

The ADRs don't limit suspension height, tyre size or wheel track either. It's the modification laws that define the changes we're allowed to make from the manufacturer's specification.

ADRs are uniform Australia wide. Modification laws are state based, and can vary significantly.

If the car was sold new in Australia with LEDs from the factory, happy days. If it didn't, I'm not aware of a legal LED option.
                            NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• denmonkey
                              • Oct 2017
                              • Newcastle NSW

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                              The ADRs don't limit suspension height, tyre size or wheel track either. It's the modification laws that define the changes we're allowed to make from the manufacturer's specification.

ADRs are uniform Australia wide. Modification laws are state based, and can vary significantly.

If the car was sold new in Australia with LEDs from the factory, happy days. If it didn't, I'm not aware of a legal LED option.

I'm hearing ya, but can you show me something official that says so?

I'm not taking the mickey here, it's just I'm hearing lots of this opinion but I can't find it written anywhere that can be confirmed as fact.

Unfortunately, forums can be full of hear say or opinion and and pretty convincing ones at that but I'm trying to avoid that for my own benefit and that of others.

If there is a crack down coming with regards to modified 4wds. I'd like to arm myself with the actual rules if I get pulled over or even make changes to the Paj to make sure its all above board.

cheers Brett

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X