• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cameron22
    • Aug 2018
    • batemans bay nsw

NP 3.2 TD High Fuel usage

HI i have just got a used NP with 187k on the clock it has a strong smell at low rpm and idle with a fuel usage of 13-14l/100km on highway i think this is too high and could be related.

what have others found to cause issues on these models i know the newer ones quite well as i work for MMAL as a tech but the older one not so much, Carbon issues, blocked cats, dirty sensors let me know what has been a issue.

No codes on Mutt111 and i will check to see if the coolant temp sensor is reading right in the pids tonight.

Don't think it will be injectors it blows zero black smoke at all revs.

the smell has a very strong smell hence maybe cats not working or partially blocked although car seems to go ok.

It does have a lift bullbar and roof platform and normal HT tyres.

Cheers Cameron
  • conquistador
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2012
    • sth east queensland

Could be anything from a blocked intake, cat to a fuel pump.

Maybe a fuel leak either side of the fuel pump quite possibly only occuring at high load. Wont be enough to soil the driveway.

Comment

• Muzza
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2007
      • Nsw

Originally posted by cameron22 View Post
      HI i have just got a used NP with 187k on the clock it has a strong smell at low rpm and idle with a fuel usage of 13-14l/100km on highway i think this is too high and could be related.

what have others found to cause issues on these models i know the newer ones quite well as i work for MMAL as a tech but the older one not so much, Carbon issues, blocked cats, dirty sensors let me know what has been a issue.

No codes on Mutt111 and i will check to see if the coolant temp sensor is reading right in the pids tonight.

Don't think it will be injectors it blows zero black smoke at all revs.

the smell has a very strong smell hence maybe cats not working or partially blocked although car seems to go ok.
      It does have a lift bullbar and roof platform and normal HT tyres.

Cheers Cameron

Before all the theories start taking over, Fit a boost gauge, into the waste gate line and take it for a drive
      Note the following, 100kph flat running no head winds should be around 4 PSI, if the figure is higher it will indicate a blocked exhaust, unbolt exhaust in sections and try again. If the pump was faulty IE timng unit jammed. It would record a fault code, and blow smoke
      The EGR blocked manifolds inst a big problem on the Np, at high Ks the butterfly plate can become stuck, however this will cause no start
      Muzza
      2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
      2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
      2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• cameron22
        • Aug 2018
        • batemans bay nsw

Ok will do. I should be able to just monitor the boost pressure via the mut111.

Will report back with findings

Comment

• cameron22
          • Aug 2018
          • batemans bay nsw

So montitored boost pressure it’s at 4-5psi @2000rpm at 100km/h

Will check minfold carbon tomorrow.

Comment

• Muzza
            Valued Member
            • Jul 2007
            • Nsw

So montitored boost pressure it’s at 4-5psi @2000rpm at 100km/h

Will check minfold carbon tomorrow.

So boost is ok for 100k, so that means engine is running the right amount of load.
            revs are too high, is this a manual or auto?
            Muzza
            2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.

LH Torana

Comment

• cameron22
              • Aug 2018
              • batemans bay nsw

5 speed auto

Comment

• Muzza
                Valued Member
                • Jul 2007
                • Nsw

5 speed auto
                Might want to recheck RPM, flat running 100k should be 1700-1800 RPM, 2100 at 110
                Might want to check the lock up clutch, if this isnt working it will cause high fuel usage
                To check, manual select 4 th gear at about 95k, and the rpm should be about 2500, floor the vehicle, the Revs should only climb as the speed picks up, if rpm jumps up 200-300 Rpm pretty much straight away, it indicates the LU isnt working, in a NP the LU clutch should engage at light throttle around 85k
                Muzza

LH Torana

Comment

• Terryo
                  Valued Member
                  • Jul 2007
                  • Where ever we are parked, traveling full time

Could try looking for a leaking fuel line. Hard to see but I could smell fuel for weeks until I found it. Fuel usage wasn't as high as yours though before the fix.

Terry
                  2015 NX GLX DiD,MM Steel bullbar, Ultimate Suspension 2” lift, King 9’ LED driving lights, Uniden UHF, TJM underbody protection, Engine Watchdog. Munji EGR delete cable.Dual battery. Ultra Guage, Fuel Manager primary fuel filter. KAON Cargo barrier. Drifta drawer and fridge slide. MM4x4 Automate Pro. In tow,Track Trailer T van.

Previously
                  NH 1992 GLS 3.0 V6 13 years
                  NP 2005 GLX 3.2 DiD 12 years

Comment

• Gogatee
                    • Jun 2014
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by Muzza View Post
                    Might want to recheck RPM, flat running 100k should be 1700-1800 RPM, 2100 at 110
                    Might want to check the lock up clutch, if this isnt working it will cause high fuel usage
                    To check, manual select 4 th gear at about 95k, and the rpm should be about 2500, floor the vehicle, the Revs should only climb as the speed picks up, if rpm jumps up 200-300 Rpm pretty much straight away, it indicates the LU isnt working, in a NP the LU clutch should engage at light throttle around 85k
                    Silly question - will this differ when towing? Or is it all gear ratio driven thus should be the same regardless?
                    2004 Pajero NP 3.2 DiD - Automatic

Comment

• erad
                      Valued Member
                      • Mar 2015
                      • Cooma NSW

The boost pressure will increase to maintain the same speeds if you are towing. Higher boost equals higher fuel consumption. The more accurate way to judge fuel consumption is to check with a bare car because towing introduces too many variables

Comment

• cameron22
                        • Aug 2018
                        • batemans bay nsw

Removed inlet manifold wasn’t to bad carbon wise.
                        Also removed rocker cover and did the tappets as well few were loose but not much to explain the issues but.

Checked all hoses etc around pump were dry and no signs of dirt sticking to a wet area etc.

Maybe it’s just the way the car is due to weight etc

Comment

• Gogatee
                          • Jun 2014
                          • Brisbane

Originally posted by erad View Post
                          The boost pressure will increase to maintain the same speeds if you are towing. Higher boost equals higher fuel consumption. The more accurate way to judge fuel consumption is to check with a bare car because towing introduces too many variables
                          Thanks mate, Makes sense. What about rpm?
                          2004 Pajero NP 3.2 DiD - Automatic

Comment

• bambam351
                            • Mar 2013
                            • albany,wa

I am as stumped as everyone as to your high fuel usage BUT......

I think I posted on a Bookface forum (guessing it is you) about the smell you talk of.
                            I fitted the Provent 200 catch can earlier in the week and have only driven it about 5 times since.
                            I can say that every time I pulled up in the garage and let it idle down as I normally do for 15-20 seconds the garage would be filled with noxious fumes. Head inside and it has seeped into the laundry. Not good for your health I am sure.....

Well, on the first few times I drove it with the can fitted I completely forgot about the fumes.
                            The next few times I took notice. No noticeable noxious smell - only slight....
                            I guess Delo 400 doesn't smell all that good when combusted!!!!

Hope this helps.....

Comment

• Seigried
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2016
                              • brisbane

Diesel fumes in the cab can be a sign of egr valve problems.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X