Clear All
  • Hatto
    Valued Member
    • Nov 2013
    • Mandurah WA

Wow that sounds like my kinda price! I must have missed that thread
    Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
    ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• Crouchy
      • Mar 2015
      • Warrnambool

Yep, I too have had a disagreement with my rear door strut on a windy day while touring around Tassie. A strong wind bent the poor quality rod meaning that I had to remove the whole assembly just so that I could close the door!

I've since tried to bend the strut back straight, but you can all guess how that ended up!

I haven't contacted my MM dealer as yet, but seeing as though I'v attempted a repair I can't image that they'd be too keen to entertain the warranty idea..
      2012 NW Platinum Edition: Graphite, 5sp Manual. EGR blank. 2" Bilstein/Lovell suspension lift. Nitto Terra Grappler A/T's. Uniden UH5060. Waeco CFX50. Kings Awning.
      Planned Mods: Underbody protection. Driving lights.
      Next: ARB Deluxe bar with Runva 11XP winch
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwT...0G8TsbaysZx5tQ

Comment

• Rovingman
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2014
        • Blue mountains

I would try very hard and be persistent ($190 replaced if you want to pay), you have a right to try and fix it top close your door, maybe dont mention it
        MM have replaced mine twice!!
        It is a crap design and they know it.
        Pajero NT RX 2011
        Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
        LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

These struts are inadequate for the weight & design of the door.
          I am surprised no-one has been hurt by a door slamming shut after the strut has broken. I hate to think what could happen to a small child if the door slammed shut on them when parked on an angle. (I will not let my nephews open or close this door without an adult present - too dangerous)

IMO, the design & the strut is "not fit for purpose" under Australian Consumer Law.
          You are entitled to either repair or replacement under the ACL. (there is no time limit on this)
          If they can't get it to perform to a standard acceptable under the ACL, you are entitled to replacement or refund (including the vehicle if it gets to that!)
          If necessary, see the Service Manager & advise you will be contacting the ACCC and Today Tonight.
          Tell them that & watch your new strut appear magically.

PS - your attempted repair should not compromise your claim as it is a non serviceable part & the only option is to replace it.
          Last edited by spot01; 21-02-16, 05:24 PM. Reason: typo
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Pickle
            Administrator
            • Jun 2007
            • All over Oz

Originally posted by GOSSAMER View Post
            FWIW Pickle got onto a gas strut direct replacement for around $60, ill see if i can find a link.
            Yep I put the post on Pajeropoint (Facebook)
            Dave
            NX Pampas Cat GLS MY16
            Member 1228 Pajero Club

Comment

• Jimboy
              • May 2015
              • Mornington Peninsula, Vic.

Originally posted by Pickle View Post
              Yep I put the post on Pajeropoint (Facebook)
              Dave
              Hi Dave,

could you post the link here for those that don't do FB

I'm another to add on the long list for gas strut collapse. From my few encounters with Frankston Mitsi, my local dealer, I'm not even going to bother trying to talk reason with them.

Cheers,
              Jim.
              4WD Neophyte In a 2013 Pajero NW GLX; taking me places to appreciate the nature of Oz- https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimonearth/

Comment

• Jimboy
                • May 2015
                • Mornington Peninsula, Vic.

Never mind, found it!

"Replacement by Struts Australia
                1/16 Fitzgerald Rd Laverton Nth
                Ph 93698113 and talk to Eddie.
                Part no K525-22-220 300N with
                KBCMB-30EM8
                Strut has enough pressure to keep the door open even on a small angle. No lock yet but can be fitted.
                $52.80 inc GST"

Cheers,
                Jim
                4WD Neophyte In a 2013 Pajero NW GLX; taking me places to appreciate the nature of Oz- https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimonearth/

Comment

• Hatto
                  Valued Member
                  • Nov 2013
                  • Mandurah WA

Just dropped my Pajero off for the rear door strut and sump leak. As soon as I gave him the keys he said "the sump leak is usually a warranty item but the back door strut will usually not be! And then continued on to explain how they can bend if forced when locked etc, bla bla! I was all ready to start the argument straight up but then he said "anyway well have a look and see". So fingers crossed but I don't like my chances. If they fit a new one and try to charge me for it I'm gonna tell them to take it off and ill get a cheaper one while I argue warranty on the original one.
                  Cheers, Hatto

ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

• spot01
                    Valued Member
                    • Apr 2011
                    • Adelaide

Originally posted by 0415discog View Post
                    Just dropped my Pajero off for the rear door strut and sump leak. As soon as I gave him the keys he said "the sump leak is usually a warranty item but the back door strut will usually not be! And then continued on to explain how they can bend if forced when locked etc, bla bla! I was all ready to start the argument straight up but then he said "anyway well have a look and see". So fingers crossed but I don't like my chances. If they fit a new one and try to charge me for it I'm gonna tell them to take it off and ill get a cheaper one while I argue warranty on the original one.
                    For future reference, when I sign a "Work Order" for warranty work, I write "For Warranty Work ONLY" - that way, they have to get your further authorisation before doing anything chargeable to you.

BTW, I think you have given them the message, so hopefully they will find a way to charge MMAL. I'd call them before you go to collect it, ask how they went & confirm all under warranty - that way they have time to take it off & find the old one in the dumpster without holding you up waiting or getting the "all the mechanics have knocked off for the day".
                    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Hatto
                      Valued Member
                      • Nov 2013
                      • Mandurah WA

Just had a call, strut not covered! But sump leak is. Not happy. His response when I asked why was ,does a builder cover your roof if it blows off in a storm! I was flabergasted!
                      Picking the car up tomorrow and will take it up with the service manager then.
                      Does anyone have a photo of the one available for about $60? Might have to join face book and find it.
                      Cheers, Hatto

Comment

• Rovingman
                        Valued Member
                        • Jan 2014
                        • Blue mountains

Part no K525-22-220 300N with
                        KBCMB-30EM8
                        Pajero NT RX 2011
                        Dark tint: Driftadraws:bushskinz set:tough dog lift:50lt waeco:MSA drop down slide: optima 66AH blue top: oricom cb:GME antenna:120w solar:narva 170 lights:hayman reese brake controller:18/265/65 BFG's :roof basket & bag:SPV MK3.1:ARB compressor: Donaldson fuel filter:breathers:Redarc 40amp:century 120AH dual batt: Blue tongue offroad trekka camper trailer :2016 winch n bar Airtek snorkel
                        LIVING THE DREAM!! My Build http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ad.php?t=44476

Comment

• Katana Chatty
                          • Apr 2011
                          • Blackwood area SA

Originally posted by grpcbr View Post
                          It would also be interesting on what sort of numbers MM are seeing through their spare parts dept.

Also, does anyone know if the NP strut would actually fit on NT-NW?
                          Had to replace mine about 18 months ago when the missus (for the 40th time) tried closing the door without unlocking it.

In conversation over the spare parts counter I asked if they sold very many and his reply was "We make sure to keep about 20 in stock as we sell them all the time"
                          So, obviously a big seller...

It is a dodgy design, but I'm not sure if there's an easy fix. The Struts Australia one might be ok - will have to look at that as an option.
                          2008 NS Exceed DiD
                          Twin batteries, FuelManager 30 micron filter, Airtek snorkel, Rhino Pioneer tray, Foxwing awning, TJM bull bar, 9500lb winch, 2" lift + HD progressive rate springs + Polyair bags, 75 litre water tank + electric pump, custom fridge slide, custom drawers

Comment

• spot01
                            Valued Member
                            • Apr 2011
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by 0415discog View Post
                            Just had a call, strut not covered! But sump leak is. Not happy. His response when I asked why was ,does a builder cover your roof if it blows off in a storm! I was flabergasted!
                            Picking the car up tomorrow and will take it up with the service manager then.
                            Does anyone have a photo of the one available for about $60? Might have to join face book and find it.
                            Refer back to my post no. 49 in this thread.
                            If they continue to decline under Manufacturer's Warranty, tell them you are claiming under the ACL (it is actually much more powerful & backed by the legislation of the Australian Government).
                            Order of people to approach:
                            1. Service Manager
                            2. Dealership Principal
                            3. MMAL Area Manager
                            4. MMAL Customer Service
                            5. MMAL CEO (mark it "Private and Confidential", so he opens it, not some "minion")
                            6. ACCC/Consumer Affairs/Today Tonight

I recommend putting your claim in writing & insist on a written response within 7 days. Tell each person you intend escalating it through these levels if not resolved satisfactorily.

I know its a pain & we shouldn't have to do this, but we need to hold them accountable for sub-standard product or service in order to get them to take their legal responsibilities seriously - we all pay good money & are entitled to quality goods & service. If we let them get away with this sort of rubbish, it will only get worse!

As Katana Chatty says, they appear to be selling an unusually high number of replacement struts, so they are actually profiting from their inadequate product - outrageous! This fact could actually be used to support your argument that it is not "fit for purpose" under the ACL.
                            Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• stevemc181
                              Valued Member
                              • Sep 2012
                              • Thornlie/Perth

Were there any signs the strut was bent? Did you tell them it happened while opening the door and not closing it? Mine had no signs of bending at all and just fell in half when I opened the rear door, they replaced it under warranty with no problem.
                              It is a weak POS though and not really up to the task. It should at least be able to take a bit of pressure from being slightly forced, so the user realises and unlocks it. I'd also point out his response to the dealer principal and tell them your business is going elsewhere.
                              2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                              3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Hatto
                                Valued Member
                                • Nov 2013
                                • Mandurah WA

Thanks rovingman for the link.
                                The strut was slightly bent. About a year ogo the wind bent it at the beach! Hence his comment about builders covering a roof blowing off in a storm! I straightened it at the time to close the door and never had a problem since. As it turns out it wasn't quite straight and finally let go last week.
                                The bloody thing is that useless in my opinion. I will pursue it for now but to be honest I'm not sure I even want to put another one on. Free or not. That door is heavy and dangerous if not dampened as someone else has mentioned.
                                Gonna call Struts Australia tomorrow and order a simple strut and see how that goes.
                                If my arguing gets me no where and I have to buy one, I wouldn't waste $200+ one a genuine one that's for sure. I never used the lock on it after it bent in such a lame wind so a strut will do exactly what the genuine one did for my use anyway.
                                Cheers, Hatto

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X