• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cortrud
    • Jul 2009
    • Adelaide

Steel mesh platform

I am considering what way to go for roof rack storage.
    Is any one using either
    Rhino Steel mesh Platform

We make world class durable easy-to-use roof racks, luggage boxes, bike carriers, kayak carriers, ski carriers, load securing accessories and more

or
    Ridge Ryder equivalent. New in Super Cheap Auto

After thoughts on usability, strength and tie down suitability.
    Last edited by cortrud; 13-10-13, 10:42 PM.
    07 NS VRX 3.2 diesel, in gunmetal. ARB deluxe bulbar, IPF900xs spots, dual batteries, cargo barrier, 17" cooper AT3's, Bilstein & Lovells EHD front & HD rear, GME TX3300, Engel MT45, MM sports cross bars with Ridge Ryder mesh platform rack.
  • Bogger
    Unregistered as asked
    • May 2011

Mate try and locate an old sliding screen door with the alloy mesh on it and make up your own ............... damn site cheaper. Simply make up a frame for it then bolt to roof bars.

Comment

• Lakey
      • Apr 2012
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by Bogger View Post
      Mate try and locate an old sliding screen door with the alloy mesh on it and make up your own ............... damn site cheaper. Simply make up a frame for it then bolt to roof bars.
      I use an old steel security grill (900 x 1200) for a rack when I need it. It has the exanded mesh rather than the weldmesh type grill in it.

Usually just tie it to the cross bars and it's fine, though I make sure I tie off what ever I'm carrying to the ends of the cross bars also.

Not the prettiest piece of equipment out there (hardly even noticable really) but light, strong and practical and it cost me nothing.
      Cheers
      Lakey

2012 PB Challenger LS manual. White, tinted windows, MM towbar, Rhino Aero Sportz Bars, otherwise pretty much bog standard.

Comment

• AndrewF
        • Jun 2011
        • Burwood East

G'day,

I have a gal mesh tray a mate made up for me but it doesn't have any steel tubing running around the edge so it's a bit flimsy, I'm tempted to duck out to Supercheap tonight on the way home to check it out...

Dimensions appear to be 1600x1215 (I think)...

Thanks for the heads-up.

Cheers,
        Andrew
        2011 PB manual Challenger, Bushskinz, Dual batteries, 2" Ultimate lift, snorkel, ARB steel Bullbar, BFG 265/75/16 AT's, other bits n bobs.

Comment

• GrahameL
          • Mar 2012
          • Caboolture, Qld

I tried the Rhino mesh tray which I attached to Thule Wing Bars.
          Terrible wind noise at 80km +. Ended up on-selling the tray at a loss.

Grahame
          SOLD - 2012 NW Platinum in Graphite, Dueler A/T Tyres, Dual Battery, Custom sheepskin seat covers, Prodigy P2 brake controller, Lovell springs, Bilstein shocks, Poly airbags, TJM color coded bull bar, Airtec Snorkel, GME TX3540 UHF, MMCS override cable, cargo blind, Bushskinz underbody protection,

Comment

• cortrud
            • Jul 2009
            • Adelaide

Got the Ridge Ryder platform rack. Almost identical to Rhino brand.
            Now fitting to Mitsubishi rhino sportz style cross bars.
            Decided to put a 3rd one in the middle, if I can get my hands on another one.
            Let you know about wind noise etc. when I have it up there.
            07 NS VRX 3.2 diesel, in gunmetal. ARB deluxe bulbar, IPF900xs spots, dual batteries, cargo barrier, 17" cooper AT3's, Bilstein & Lovells EHD front & HD rear, GME TX3300, Engel MT45, MM sports cross bars with Ridge Ryder mesh platform rack.

Comment

• awill4wd
              Valued Member
              • Nov 2008
              • Pakenham, Melbourne

Originally posted by cortrud View Post
              Got the Ridge Ryder platform rack. Almost identical to Rhino brand.
              Now fitting to Mitsubishi rhino sportz style cross bars.
              Decided to put a 3rd one in the middle, if I can get my hands on another one.
              Let you know about wind noise etc. when I have it up there.
              Be aware that if you use 3 cross bars then with the curvature of the factory roof rails you will need to install about an 8mm packer on both the front and rear cross bars.
              When I modified my alloy rack off my old GQ I found it was necessary as like you I wanted to run 3 cross bars.
              I'm also considering chopping the top section off my rack and the leg mounts to make a flat base as I usually use the rack for carrying bicycles when we go away.
              Regards Andrew.

2019 MR Triton bog stock at the moment but that will change.

Comment

• cortrud
                • Jul 2009
                • Adelaide

[QUOTE=awill4wd;331179]Be aware that if you use 3 cross bars then with the curvature of the factory roof rails you will need to install about an 8mm packer on both the front and rear cross bars.
                When I modified my alloy rack off my old GQ I found it was necessary as like you I wanted to run 3 cross bars.
                I'm also considering chopping the top section off my rack and the leg mounts to make a flat base as I usually use the rack for carrying bicycles when we go away.
                Regards Andrew.

OK thanks for that.
                So when using spacers is it advisable to space the entire length of the rack or just where the platform is bolted on? Any suggestions as to what to use for spacers?

Has anybody got a MM sportz style cross bar that they want to get rid of? I am keen to find a 3rd one.
                Attached Files

Comment

• MoreliaMatt
                  Valued Member
                  • Mar 2013
                  • Adelaide

does anyone know if that ridge ryder platform is still on special? cant find it on the super crap website?
                  | 2010 NT Pajero GLS Manual DiD |

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
                  | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
                  | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
                  | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Purchased But Still To Fit - | MMA Spare Wheel Lift |

Comment

• sharkcaver
                    "2000"+ Valued Contributor
                    • May 2009
                    • Perth

The spacers as mentioned:

MY16 NX GLX5 with just a few bits added. MY14 D-max spacecab, also with a few bits added.

My Journeys

Comment

• Lakey
                      • Apr 2012
                      • Brisbane

I don't think those spacers will fit the Mitsubishi racks (which are I think actually renamed Rhino SXB? Sportz legs and Aero Bars) unless you just use them between the bar and the actual platform. The Rhino SXB and Aero combination is available as a half set I have been told as I want three eventually also.

Alternately you could see if the Rhino Wing bar fits that leg as it may fit in the middle without any packing, it being much thinner.
                      Cheers
                      Lakey

2012 PB Challenger LS manual. White, tinted windows, MM towbar, Rhino Aero Sportz Bars, otherwise pretty much bog standard.

Comment

• cortrud
                        • Jul 2009
                        • Adelaide

Originally posted by MoreliaMatt View Post
                        does anyone know if that ridge ryder platform is still on special? cant find it on the super crap website?
                        No super cheap special finished a couple of weeks ago. Was a pretty good deal.
                        Thanks for the info on spacers, will dig deeper.

Still looking for 3rd MM rail if anybody has one.

Comment

• MoreliaMatt
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2013
                          • Adelaide

No super cheap special finished a couple of weeks ago. Was a pretty good deal.
                          Thanks, will have to keep an eye out for the next special.

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
                          | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
                          | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
                          | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Comment

• cortrud
                            • Jul 2009
                            • Adelaide

Originally posted by MoreliaMatt View Post
                            Platform rack is on special again $188.

Fitted mine to 2 MM cross bars after consulting with Roof Rack City.
                            Spacers not available to suit these bars if I went the 3 bar option.
                            They thought 3 bars would be an overkill as long as I was staying within MM weight limits.
                            That sounded fine by me.
                            The whole set up travels well with very minimal wind noise.
                            For the record the Ridge Ryder rack is almost identical to Rhino other than slightly smaller diameter outer tubing.

Comment

• MoreliaMatt
                              Valued Member
                              • Mar 2013
                              • Adelaide

Platform rack is on special again $188.

Fitted mine to 2 MM cross bars after consulting with Roof Rack City.
                              Spacers not available to suit these bars if I went the 3 bar option.
                              They thought 3 bars would be an overkill as long as I was staying within MM weight limits.
                              That sounded fine by me.
                              The whole set up travels well with very minimal wind noise.
                              For the record the Ridge Ryder rack is almost identical to Rhino other than slightly smaller diameter outer tubing.

Thanks for the heads up! I'll head down today!!! Cheers!

The supercheap website says the ridge ryder platform is 1200 wide, i swear last time i looked at it it said 1100 wide...
                              Would you be able to measure yours for me? Ive only got 1140 to play with....
                              Last edited by MoreliaMatt; 04-12-13, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X