Below Nav Bar Ad Module

Collapse

Torque application hooked up to the NW - awesome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Macster
    • Nov 2011
    • Melbourne

Torque application hooked up to the NW - awesome!

This forum has been good to me, so I wanted to return the favour and do a little write up on my experience with the Torque app on my HTC smart phone and bluetooth transmitter hooked up to the Pajero NW.

This app is freaken awesome and so well thought out. You can use it on your laptop or smartphone / iPhone etc. It basically is a programme that interfaces all of the data from the Pajero's computer and displays it in a fully customisable, user-friendly format. The app costs $5 when you download it from your phone online. You need one other piece of hardware to complete the setup and that's an OBDII compliant bluetooth transmitter. There are quite alot of them available. I elected to buy the top of the line one because it boasts the fastest data transfer speeds, it's supposedly hacker proof..., and it shuts off the bluetooth device once the engine has been turned off. The cheap ones keep transmitting and will eventually drain your car's battery if left on for a long period of time. So at $150 I got the OBDLink MX. $155 all up and still cheaper than a Scan Guage and other options for hardwired devices.

It took about 30 seconds to plug it in, (I have a photo of where the OBDII plug is), and detect my phone's bluetooth. Then I spent probably 2 hours customising seven different dashboards and creating a user profile for the Pajero. I have attached pictures of my dashboards to give you an idea of how you can configure the app.

I ran into some teething problems at first and Torque kept losing the bluetooth connection and disconnecting my HTC from the Pajero's MMCS. I eventually figured out that the HTC Desire S phones don't have a very powerful bluetooth in them and that Torque and the MMCS were both trying to connect at the same time and were crashing the phone. Anyway, problem overcome by first starting Torque and then manually connecting the MMCS bluetooth. No dramas!

If you install Torque on your smart phone then it also configures with your phone's GPS, internet connection and tilt sensors. This opens up some really cool features like logging trips with Google maps. You can see how fuel efficient you were driving throughout your trip, total fuel used, drive time etc etc. This log can be exported and viewed online or kept in your phone for later viewing. If there's an engine fault it will show where and when it occurred etc. You can compare your GPS speed with the Mitsi speedometer and calculate the error margin, you can upload engine diagnostics to Facebook, email them etc.

Oh and the app doesn't interfer with your phone's normal functions i.e. you can still receive and dial calls.

What I like about the customisable dashboards and meters is that you can choose digital guages, old needle guages, colour schemes and themes, build charts, and you can also set min and max threshold levels. I have mine setup so that it actually talks to me when the engine has reached safe operating temperature and it will flash if for instance the engine temperature gets hotter than my safe set limit. Pretty cool eh?

Anyway, pictures tell 1000 words, so here's some screen shots from my phone. Feel free to ask any questions but I'm not a tech geek and I've only just got this up and running.

Cheers!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Macster; 13-12-12, 06:04 PM.
  • Macster
    • Nov 2011
    • Melbourne

More screenshots
    Attached Files

Comment

• Macster
      • Nov 2011
      • Melbourne

Even more screenshots!
      Attached Files

Comment

• Macster
        • Nov 2011
        • Melbourne

Last of the screenshots...

By the way, I should have mentioned, you can clear engine fault codes too.
        Attached Files

Comment

• kibz
          • Jul 2007
          • Melb, Victoria

Great write up Macster

Just got a temp gauge (old school) for the auto and about to get boost gauge and exhaust temp but this might be better - not much room on top of the dash without making it look messy.

Would be interested to know if it can read a Gen 3 Paj NM Diesel and whether you can get a boost and exhaust temps readings?
          Cheers,
          Paul

Comment

• Macster
            • Nov 2011
            • Melbourne

Originally posted by kibz View Post
            Great write up Macster

Just got a temp gauge (old school) for the auto and about to get boost gauge and exhaust temp but this might be better - not much room on top of the dash without making it look messy.

Would be interested to know if it can read a Gen 3 Paj NM Diesel and whether you can get a boost and exhaust temps readings?
            The NW doesn't unfortunately have an EGT (Exhaust Gauge temperature) sensor, therefore the Torque app has nothing to read. There's a cat convertor temperature sensor but that could be too far back to get a reliable read...? Double check for yourself, but I read somewhere that the Pajero only went OBDII compliant in the NT onwards.

Comment

• Goodsy
              Who ya gunna call....
              • Dec 2010
              • Hervey Bay

Nice app. Still like my permanent ScanGauge though. But really they are doing different jobs.
              Could you install a 7" tablet in the dash? That would be cool!

I'd be surprised if it worked on a Gen 3 but I'm sure a lot of people would be happy if it did.
              .Previously an NP GLX 3.8 auto RIP
              NS VRX DiD auto. RIP.

Comment

• stevemc181
                Valued Member
                • Sep 2012
                • Thornlie/Perth

I want one!
                2012 NW Activ with all the fruit, stripped what I could for my new build and handed over to the Mrs as a daily driver.

Current vehicle: 2016 Y61 GU Patrol Legend series Auto, (Last of the Breed)
                3505kg GVM Upgrade and 2" Lift | Warn XD 9000 Winch | Factory steel bar, towbar, snorkel, alloy roof rack | 285/70/17 (33") Mickey T ATZ P3's | 3" Manta Exhaust | ORS Drawer System | Manual Boost Controller | ECU Remap |

Comment

• Paj People 2009
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Sunny Gold Coast, QLD

Very cool app...like it!

Useful info. Amazing what you can do with your phone nowadays!

Personally, I also like the permanently fixed units, like our Ultragauge, but it's a great alternative, esp with the Bluetooth connection. You don't have to plug in like we do!

BTW, the Ultragauge are pretty cheap at the moment....have a look, well under $100 posted!

UltraGauge UltraGauge EM v1.2 [UltraGauge_EM_v1.2] - $69.95 $60.95 (after $9.00 mail-in reward) Reward: The product box contains an information insert that will direct you to the online reward form. Click here for more reward informationCompatibility: Please confirm that your emission sticker is marked OBDII compliant or certified. In general, most* 1996 and newer vehicles are compatible.*See Compatibility

Cheers,
                  Sally
                  SOLD 2009 NT PAJERO PLATINUM & 2015 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE

RUNVA XP11 11,000lb Winch in MM ALLOY Bar, 2.75" S/S exhaust, ARB Air Locker, BLACK WIDOW Drawer Sys, ABBER Water Tank, GREAT WHITE & IRONMAN LED LightbarS, ARB OME 2 inch lift, POLYAIRs, BUSHSKINZs, Airtech SNORKEL, IRONMAN Awning, PIONEER Platform, REDARC Tow Pro, Provent , D697 LT's, ALPINE Stereo, Amp & Sub, DP CHIP, DRLs, Torque App, SPV EGR MOD Mk3

2015 LOTUS FREELANDER & CRUISECRAFT EXPLORER 575

Comment

• JoshF
                    Valued Member
                    • Jan 2008
                    • Brisbane

Originally posted by Goodsy View Post
                    Nice app. Still like my permanent ScanGauge though. But really they are doing different jobs.
                    Could you install a 7" tablet in the dash? That would be cool!

I'd be surprised if it worked on a Gen 3 but I'm sure a lot of people would be happy if it did.
                    I have both and Torque is an absolute winner in the comparison, they do the same job except Torque is super rich in features by comparison and is a fraction of the cost. I take my phone everywhere so Torque is always with me, and on my tablet.

You can get double DIN android in dash units so yes the 7" tablet can be permanent if requried.
                    NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                    Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• JoshF
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2008
                      • Brisbane

Originally posted by Macster View Post
                      I read somewhere that the Pajero only went OBDII compliant in the NT onwards.
                      NS's have an OBD-II port also. Not sure how far they go back but I am pretty sure they had ODB ports in older models
                      NS Tall and Short (Trakryder/Bilstein 2" lift with Polyairs) DiD "R", Gunmetal on BFG 270/60/17 AT's, TJM Bullbar, 9500lb Ox Winch, Icom 450, AirTech Snorkel, Cargo Barrier, Dual Battery System to power a CF 40, ScanguageII, LRA Auxillary Tank
                      Custom Intercooler/Sump/Transmission Bash Plates and Sliders by http://www.bushskinz4x4.com.au/

Comment

• craka
                        Valued Member
                        • Jun 2009
                        • Newcastle (Newie)

I'd like one of these.
                        NS SWB X 3.2DiD - Factory locker, Hella spotties, GME UHF, 2" lift

Retired: 1991 NH SWB 3.0L V6 5sp Manual, Mickey Thompson ATZs, GME UHF TX3200.

Comment

• Zr1
                          • Oct 2009

Great review Macster, I’ve been looking around at OBD software for PC but this one you note for the money seems much better than any I have seen. Does anyone know if there is a way to have this run on a PC or an Iphone/ipad. I don’t have an Adroid device unfortunately. I’ve done a bit of research on the net but can’t seem to find a way to do it.
                          Again awesome write up Macster, thanks heaps for sharing it

Comment

• Patagonia
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2009
                            • Santiago, Chile!!!!!

Excelent review! keep in mind that Torque works only in Android, for Iphone there´s a similar app called REV, also you would need a Wifi OBDII dongle as the bluetooth ones wont work on apple stuff (bluetooth only good for headphones on Iphones/Ipad)

Regarding a tablet for the car, I´ve seen some head units on that work with Android and have USB, wifi and even 3G so you could use Torque there and even GPS maps...for the price don´t think quality is the best but if someone has given a try on them I would be glad to hear the results...
                            2000 SWB NL 3.5 SOHC V6 AT.
                            Adjustable suspension, Rear Locker, Suspension Seats, Cruise Control, 8500 Lbs winch, all factory fitted.
                            31x10.5R15 Pirelli ATR?s and forever thinking on the lift.
                            2009 SWB NS 3.2 DOHC DID AT 265/70/17 BFG AT/KO, OME SD Springs +4 Rear locker, 8.500 Lbs Winch...new toy!!!

Comment

• Macster
                              • Nov 2011
                              • Melbourne

Managed to resolve an issue today (although Torque created it!). I had Torque running and turned the engine off to fill up with diesel. When I started the engine again, the dash lit up like a xmas tree. ABS, traction control, even N for neutral was flashing. I cleared the fault and disconnected the bluetooth and all was back to normal in the Pajero. Turns out Torque had triggered a "Network error" in the Pajero, because it was trying to connect at the same time the Pajero's computer was coming online.

When I did some reading online I discovered that it's an easy fix, you just have to change a setting in the Torque app from "automatic protocol" connect to some other one.

Anyway, in the interests of giving a full review, just something to look out for. Otherwise, I'm still extremely pleased with the setup.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X