• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ilikeachallenge
    • Feb 2017
    • victoria

challenger false floor and compact rear storage unit

Hi All
    One of the first projects I undertook when I bought the Challenger was to fit a false floor in the rear and a storage unit.
    As it is a daily driver for my wife it still has to retain usable floor space at the rear as she is vertically challenged.
    I also wanted to always have all of my recovery gear onboard as well as the compressor and first aid kit fire blankets tools basic spares toilet paper etc, as you just never know when you may need it and its no good at home in the shed when you do.

I wanted a strong false floor to be able to tech screw and mount stuff to that had reasonable strength and chose to use 17mm form ply from Bunnings.This is the stuff with the black durable coating and Bunnings will cut it to a basic square for you and then just but a cheap ass jigsaw from the toolshop and use that at home to get your final shape.
    The neatness of your cuts is not overly important if you are going to carpet it later.

I simply taped 4 or 5 pieces of butchers paper together to make a piece of paper big enough to cover the whole rear floor and come up the sides of the trim a bit and flattened it into the corners and ran around the edge with a texta to get a template for my cut out.

I remved the factory tie downs and made some of my own stronger ones out of box tubing and fitted them to the floor. Then you are ready to bolt down the false floor to them.

I made the storage box from the same material as it is pretty well bullet proof and again I want to mount stuff in it.
    I split the lid because the small section on the right can be used as a separate lock up strong box by the addition of a divider I made. You can then lock up this portion with a couple of padlocks when your away from the vehicle. Hey it wont stop a thief but its better than leaving stuff under a seat or whatever.

I fitted gas struts from Bunnings cause I liked them and it makes it so user friendly without the need to hold the lids.
    The box is 430mm deep and 300 high and it tech screwed internally to the false floor with 8 stainless screws. She aint moving anywhere.The first effort saw the box 430mm square but it sat too high and therefore had to move backwards which meant loosing to much rear floor space.
    After a while I realised that I only ever had the box 3/4 full so I figured I only need 3/4 of the box so I flipped it over and cut off 110mm,refitted the base and it was then able to move fwd by 80mm increasing rear space again.

On the reverse side behind the rear seats I mounted my dcdc charger to the box and also hard mounted the compressor inside the box and just run and airline that sits in between the rear seats on the floor ready for use.I already had 12V there with an Anderson plug to run the charger so I just fitted an Anderson plug to the compressor and just plug it it when needed.So quick and easy when airing up.Just open either side door and plug in your airline.
    Once I was happy with the final design etc it was off to clark rubber as they have these reasonably cheap heavy duty pre cut carpet that will handle any thing,dogs ,mud.firewood.
    Cut to size and stick down with quick grip or similar from the hardware store.The cheapest way is to buy a tin of glue and cheap single use brush.

The materials for this entire project were not that dear but a lot of beer went into it.....
    Attached Files
    2014 Ironbark Auto PC. TJM Bullbar and 9500 lb winch with rope,Safari snorkel,ARB bashplates,factory rear locker,BFG KO2 all terrains,custom rear storage and false floor,second row Engel 40 lt fridge mount,tint,Rasslar rock sliders,100 amp dual battery with 40 amp dcdc charger,45 cent EGR resistor mod,MM tow bar,GME 40 channel uhf with RFI antenna,I drive throttle controller,hard wired 180 lt per minute compressor,kings 2.5x3mt awning,Xray spots,OztecKings combo.
  • XLS PB Challenger
    • May 2016
    • Reynella East

Can you please post a picture of the area near the spare wheel access point.

Cheers
    Paul
    2010 PB Challenger Auto - 265/60/18 Dick Cepek - MCC front bar - 9 inch LED kings spot lights- Safari Snorkel - 2 inch lift - REDARC BMS1230 Manager & REDARC TVMS - AUX battery in custom tray behind cargo trim - Jump start feature - 3inch Triton exhaust - morepower diesel chip - bash plates - 9.5 XP winch - Auto front locker - Automate - RV meter.

Comment

• Kingbrown
      Valued Member
      • Apr 2012
      • Port Augusta - SA

Talking of that access hole for the spare wheel winder, just measure the location vey carefully as I found that mine wasn't on the centreline of the vehicle.
      It could make a difference to your cutout &/or mess up an otherwise neat job.
      2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• Kingbrown
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2012
        • Port Augusta - SA

This is a different setup to the OP's, but it's a similar construction with 17mm ply base and a hole for access to the spare wheel winder.
        On the underside there's a large diameter recess that's been routed into the ply so that it clears the plastic trim.

Socket+extension+ratchet makes quick work of lowering and raising the spare wheel.

OJ has previously done a write-up about improvements to the winder mechanism and the addition of a Dektite boot to seal the winder shaft against water and dust.

20180517_102723_resized.jpg
        Last edited by Kingbrown; 17-05-18, 12:47 PM. Reason: Added comment re: underside recess
        2012 PB Challenger LS Manual

Comment

• ilikeachallenge
          • Feb 2017
          • victoria

Originally posted by XLS PB Challenger View Post
          Can you please post a picture of the area near the spare wheel access point.

Cheers
          Paul
          Hi Paul
          Sorry I don't always check this section and have just seen your post.As king brown said just measure and use a whole saw for access through the ply to the winder.I then just put a cross cut in the carpet for bolt access and left it,mine is a bit off centre but still allows access to the bolt.Hope this helps and remember carpet and glue will hide many sins.
          2014 Ironbark Auto PC. TJM Bullbar and 9500 lb winch with rope,Safari snorkel,ARB bashplates,factory rear locker,BFG KO2 all terrains,custom rear storage and false floor,second row Engel 40 lt fridge mount,tint,Rasslar rock sliders,100 amp dual battery with 40 amp dcdc charger,45 cent EGR resistor mod,MM tow bar,GME 40 channel uhf with RFI antenna,I drive throttle controller,hard wired 180 lt per minute compressor,kings 2.5x3mt awning,Xray spots,OztecKings combo.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X