• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • m_and_m
    Valued Member
    • Mar 2010
    • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Been waiting for your post old-jack

Hare method was pretty well practiced , i like the idea of using the 4 just at the front though.

The tortoise would have been tricky too, as i needed to turn during the recovery. This pulled the TREDs in all sorts of directions under the tyres as they grabbed. This is also why i gave up on the winch, as it was off the line i needed, and once I got momentum....the winch rope would force me to stop again.
    So, even having a good sand anchor has limitations.

Ultimately the TREDs (and a load of shovelling) got me out, so they are definitely my #1 choice. So glad I got 4 and not just 2 of them.

Nothing like real experience to learn a lesson. Forgot to mention that before I got stuck the 1st and 2nd times, I tried drifting and to turn the nose down towards the water and adjust throttle, like we did on the Peake trip...but to no avail.

I presume the TREDs as sand anchors would have been buried fairly deep.
    2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
    2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
    Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
      Been waiting for your post old-jack
      Do not be too hard on yourself, this looks a particularly nasty section of narrow steep beach. Many a 4wd would have been claimed by the sea.

I would bury top of Treds about 300mm below and dig trench for winch cable.

The reason for overlapping your Treads is so you have a continuous hard track to drive on, always put the most forward Tred under the front of the first Tred. You can slightly angle the Treds to gradually change direction.

Maybe a little too much confidence in your vehicles capability after Peake particularly doing a solo beach run. But once again well done M!

cheers, old Jack.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• ticky
        Valued Member
        • Jan 2015
        • Adelaide

Peak was a lot of fun & I also learned a lot from Old Jack, but I am nowhere near confident enough to go solo yet. I did buy a set of Maxtrax at the show last week so that will make me feel a little better.

Looking forward to the Mouth trip in a couple of weeks.

Steve
        2009 NT VRX, Rear Battery Pack, 18" Bridgestone D-697, SPVi EGR mod, BushSkinz Intercooler & Sump Plates. BOO's Transmission & Transfer Case Plates. GME 3550, HID HB's and 22"LED Bar, Pioneer Avic F80DAB Audio/Coms/Nav system MM4x4 TC Lockup Mate. & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Pretty Stock but very Capable

Wish List: ARB Deluxe Bar & Winch, Snorkel, Diff Breathers, & 1/2 tank of Diesel

Comment

• m_and_m
          Valued Member
          • Mar 2010
          • Tea Tree Gully, Adelaide

Originally posted by ticky View Post
          Peak was a lot of fun & I also learned a lot from Old Jack, but I am nowhere near confident enough to go solo yet. I did buy a set of Maxtrax at the show last week so that will make me feel a little better.

Looking forward to the Mouth trip in a couple of weeks.

Steve
          The more often you get stuck and recover, the more confident you get.
          It's not actually that scary once you've had some practice.

I say, "If you don't get stuck, you're not trying hard enough"
          2016 NX Exceed 3.2 DiD, BullBar | 2" OME lift | Safari snorkel | UHF | Towbar | Tow pro elite ECB | Full Bushskinz UBP and side steps | HID highbeam upgrade | 9" LED spots | 100Ahr Aux. Battery | HPD Oil catch can | Flappy Paddles | auto-matePRO
          2016 LC200 Sahara V8 Diesel,Lots of Mods too
          Checkout our products at MM4x4 http://www.mm4x4.com.au auto-mate and lockup-mate for Mitsubishi's and Toyota's

Comment

• Hatto
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2013
            • Mandurah WA

Originally posted by m_and_m View Post
            I say, "If you don't get stuck, you're not trying hard enough"
            That's the moto me and my crew live by. If you don't get stuck you don't know your limits
            Cheers, Hatto

2012 NW GLS Diesel Auto with:
            ARB delux bar, full length Ocam ally roof rack with rear LED work light, dual batteries, DIY rear ally drawers with fridge slide, 2" lift oztec/kings, Polyairs, Kings awning 2.5 x 2.5m with LED strip light, pair of genr8 40w LED spot/flood driving lights, iron man 4x4 22" LED light bar, mounted thumper compressor, 70L water tank & 12v pump, 120w solar, LED interior lights, Boo Boo's bash plates, Safari snorkel and Grande mk lll 12000lb winch.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
            Working...
            X