• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Onslow
    Valued Member
    • Aug 2007
    • Perth, Western Australia

Pajero owners have been installing dual batteries in the engine bay of these vehicles since the NM was launched back in 2000! I haven't heard of one ever cracking, that's 14 years and millions of combined km's of driving.

Interestingly there have been plenty of Prado's crack their inner guards due to fitment of a dual battery.....they may have their marquees confused?
    NOW SOLD: NW MY2014 VRX 3.2 Diesel Auto, Rhino Rack Roof Rack, Sandgrabber Floor Mats, Safari Snorkel, Warn XP9.5S Winch, ARB Bull Bar, Bushskinz Underbody Protection, Lovells HD Springs, Bilstein Shocks, Firestone Airbags, Off Road Systems Rear Shelf, Boab 40Lt Water Tank, Cooper LT265/65x17 ST-Maxx Tyres, Uniden 7760 UHF Radio, LRA 58LT Long Range Tank, ARB Intensity Spotlights, Redarc BCDC Dual Battery System, Taipan XP 3in Exhaust System, Recaro Seats.

Comment

• Dion
      Valued Member
      • May 2010
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by Sunnywaxman View Post
      I have been shopping around looking at the install of a dual battery in my NW which I have just picked up and 2 installers have now said they would not warranty the install has the mounting points are not strong enough and will effect vehicle warranty as the location against firewall is not designed for it?.??
      Help me out here who is wrong who is right? Anybody had same issues? They are all steering me to the battery box in rear.
      As someone else said, they all heard about Prados cracking inner guards so they just apply that logic to every other vehicle.

I'd just ring your local ARB or TJM shop and get them to do it rather than trying auto sparkies. They will certainly not claim the mounting points are too weak given the trays they make fit onto those spots (especially ARB who chose a different tray design to everyone else specifically for the reason of increased mounting point strength).

A battery box in the rear is a pain in the backside - it takes up space, you have to use expensive AGM batteries, and you have to run very thick cables to avoid voltage drop while charging (unless you install a DC-DC charger).
      2010 NT DiD Platinum Auto (Warm White). ARB Sahara Bar (colour coded), ARB dual battery with Redarc, Ultimate Suspension, Redarc remote BC, Bushskinz plates, D694s, Rhino Pioneer Platform, Engel 40L, Hella Compact HIDs, UH7760NB, Scangauge II, Rear shelf storage, Bushskinz rear bumper protection.

Comment

• HSV Rangie
        Valued Member
        • Feb 2010
        • Hastings

The mounting points are fine, I made a bigger tray to take a 330mm long battery, been there 4 years 150k and no movement.

Michael.
        2016 NX,GLS,DID,Auto. Rear DL, ARB deluxe BB, Warn winch, Safari Snorkle, Tow bar, Redarc tow pro, Front door windows tinted, Traxide SC80 dual battery system, Rino roof bars, Icom IC440 UHF, Lovells HD + 50mm springs all round, ????? shocks and struts, Proclip & Strike phone mount.

Comment

• grhyso
          Valued Member
          • Aug 2012
          • Perth

Prado, Pajero, sound similar don't they?

I picked up a TJM battery tray when they fitted my bullbar and snorkel a few weeks ago and surprisingly it's actually different to the Pirahna tray. I always thought they were one and the same tray but this one has a heat shield on the engine side and is powdercoated black instead of the gold coating. Also it was only $139 RRP
          2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• reformedjeeper
            • Jun 2012
            • Ballarat Vic

Updated information re two auxiliary batteries and link attached to stevemc181 post
            Regards and best wishes Johnv,

2012 NW Active, Ironbark, 3.2 DiD Auto

Tow Bar, Nudge Bar, Cooper AT3 265/65R17 LT, CB Radio, Redarc Indash Brake Controller, AutoSafe Cargo Barrier, 2-Auxilary Battery System w/Redarc Isolator, Custom Storage Unit, 50mm / 300kg OME Suspension with Firestone Airbags.
            81 Lt Auxilary Fuel Tank by Long Range Automotive, Lillydale (Vic)

Comment

• Iron Bark Hak
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2014
              • Camden NSW

Originally posted by grhyso View Post
              Prado, Pajero, sound similar don't they?

I picked up a TJM battery tray when they fitted my bullbar and snorkel a few weeks ago and surprisingly it's actually different to the Pirahna tray. I always thought they were one and the same tray but this one has a heat shield on the engine side and is powdercoated black instead of the gold coating. Also it was only $139 RRP
              What size battery does fit I'm going to ARB get mine fitted but there tray only fits 10 inch Id like a 12 inch for more amp hours
              Next on the Shopping List, well I'm pretty well set up but possibly Harrop front diff lock

So Far Black Widow Draws, Millford Cargo Barrier, Thule Luggage Carrier, Tow kit, Tints, Weather shields, ARB front bar, ARB 2 inch Old Man Emu suspension, Redark 40amp LV dual battery set up STT PRO tyres 275x65x18 Domintor Winch 12000ibs Cree 9 inch LED BushSkinz full protection kit including rear bar protector and side steps TJM snorkel Kings awning

MDC V4 Rear Fold Crusader Camper

Comment

• Gus008
                • Feb 2012
                • Lake Macquarie

Originally posted by Iron Bark Hak View Post
                What size battery does fit I'm going to ARB get mine fitted but there tray only fits 10 inch Id like a 12 inch for more amp hours
                You should have a 10 inch main battery. If you have, swap the main into the new auxiliary battery tray and then fit a new 12 inch second battery into the location vacated by the main. This does require a bit of wire moving but can be done quiet easily.

Cheers

Rick
                NW Platinum in Cool Silver, CTEK Dual Battery System, Uniden 7750NB UHF, Opal MMCS Replacement, Custom Rear Storage, Neoprene Seat Covers, Spare Wheel Lift, PDW Revenge Alloys, BF Goodrich All Terrians, OME Suspension, Poly Air Bags, Long Range Tank, 40L Engel Fridge, Bushskinz, Tigerz11 Awning, Laird Combination UHF Aerial

Comment

• Iron Bark Hak
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2014
                  • Camden NSW

Originally posted by Gus008 View Post
                  You should have a 10 inch main battery. If you have, swap the main into the new auxiliary battery tray and then fit a new 12 inch second battery into the location vacated by the main. This does require a bit of wire moving but can be done quiet easily.

Cheers

Rick
                  So you mean move the starter battery to the second battery position and rewire so to speak to keep it still as the starter battery?
                  Next on the Shopping List, well I'm pretty well set up but possibly Harrop front diff lock

So Far Black Widow Draws, Millford Cargo Barrier, Thule Luggage Carrier, Tow kit, Tints, Weather shields, ARB front bar, ARB 2 inch Old Man Emu suspension, Redark 40amp LV dual battery set up STT PRO tyres 275x65x18 Domintor Winch 12000ibs Cree 9 inch LED BushSkinz full protection kit including rear bar protector and side steps TJM snorkel Kings awning

Comment

• treads
                    • Sep 2013
                    • Snowy Mountains

So you mean move the starter battery to the second battery position and rewire so to speak to keep it still as the starter battery?
                    No need to rewire - The existing cables reach fine when you put the starter battery in the new TJM tray.
                    2013 MY14 Pajero GLX-R | 265/70R17 General Grabber AT2, ARB Deluxe Bar with Lightforce XGT HID's, 144w CREE Lightbar, Hayman Reese Towpack, TJM Dual Battery Tray, Traxide USI-160, Engel 42L, Alinco DR-620 VHF/UHF|

2012 MY12 Triton GLX | 245/75R16 Mickey Thompson STZ, ARB Deluxe Bar with Brush bar/side step combo and IPF Spotties, Steel Tray, Mitsubishi Towpack, Safari Snorkel, GME 80ch UHF |

The above post is my own personal view and not that of my employer.

Comment

• grhyso
                      Valued Member
                      • Aug 2012
                      • Perth

I believe it fits a 255 or 258mm length. I haven't tried but will now with fitting the main battery in the aux tray but doubt mine will fit, the car came with an RAC replacement battery that I think is bigger than factory.
                      2010 NT GLS DiD Auto Silver | TJM T13 Bullbar | Lightforce LED 180 Spotlights | Runva 11XP | Dual Batteries | TJM snorkel | Bushskinz & TJM bash plates | Custom alloy roof rack | Sunseeker II Awning | MDC RTT | EGR Block | Bilstein/Lovells | Dick Cepek Fun Country tyres | Wet seat seatcovers | Uniden UH7760NB | Parrot Asteroid Smart | Morel, Soundstream and Kicker Audio | MM Cargo Barrier | Storage Drawer | Onboard water system |

See our latest adventures at http://www.treksandtinroofs.com

Comment

• reformedjeeper
                        • Jun 2012
                        • Ballarat Vic

Please note the amendments I have made to my installation instructions, both in red and further along in italics and at bottom link to stevemc181 post.

If you're still confused let ARB or an auto electrician take care of it.

regards
                        John
                        Regards and best wishes Johnv,

2012 NW Active, Ironbark, 3.2 DiD Auto

Tow Bar, Nudge Bar, Cooper AT3 265/65R17 LT, CB Radio, Redarc Indash Brake Controller, AutoSafe Cargo Barrier, 2-Auxilary Battery System w/Redarc Isolator, Custom Storage Unit, 50mm / 300kg OME Suspension with Firestone Airbags.
                        81 Lt Auxilary Fuel Tank by Long Range Automotive, Lillydale (Vic)

Comment

• gunsrunner
                          • May 2008
                          • Perth

New battery tray arrived today, from FNB 4x4,must say I am happy with my choice.
                          Cost a bit more than the others, but looks like a better quality item. Welding and finish.
                          This one is specifically made for NW diesel and makes use of all but one of the factory mounts, plus has a heat shield on motor side. Last but not least, fits a 12inch N70 battery.
                          Will post more picks once all the goodies arrive, only want to pull car apart once.
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by gunsrunner; 07-08-14, 06:06 PM.
                          MY14 VRX 3.2D Auto|OL Premium post bar | Runva 11XP | Bushskinz Int/Sump | Rhino platform 42102B | 2.5x2.1 Oztrail | HD Parkside Hitch | Grande 17x8 | 697 A/T 265/65R17LT | Flexitank 140L | Primus 92L DZone | Rhino Luggage bag | Maxtrax | 10.1" tablet | Redarc SBI12, BCDC1240LV, TowPro | Century N70T | Fullriver DC105-12 | 120w Light bar | 7"HID 100w | CAT3 ERP | ARB CKMA12 | Alpine MRVT1000, MRVF540 | MBQuart DSC216 x 2 | Alpine SWR-1221 x2 | Enough cable, switches to run a city

Comment

• Gus008
                            • Feb 2012
                            • Lake Macquarie

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. The original starter battery moves into the new auxiliary battery tray but remains as the starter battery. The new second battery then gets situated into the place vacated by the start battery.
                            However, I should clarify that there is no need to rewire anything. You just need to make sure that positive and negative leads from the starter battery migrate to the new location with the battery.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Rick
                            NW Platinum in Cool Silver, CTEK Dual Battery System, Uniden 7750NB UHF, Opal MMCS Replacement, Custom Rear Storage, Neoprene Seat Covers, Spare Wheel Lift, PDW Revenge Alloys, BF Goodrich All Terrians, OME Suspension, Poly Air Bags, Long Range Tank, 40L Engel Fridge, Bushskinz, Tigerz11 Awning, Laird Combination UHF Aerial

Comment

• Iron Bark Hak
                              Valued Member
                              • Jun 2014
                              • Camden NSW

Originally posted by Gus008 View Post
                              Yes, that's exactly what I mean. The original starter battery moves into the new auxiliary battery tray but remains as the starter battery. The new second battery then gets situated into the place vacated by the start battery.
                              However, I should clarify that there is no need to rewire anything. You just need to make sure that positive and negative leads from the starter battery migrate to the new location with the battery.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Rick
                              It sure does

Comment

• HigherPlane
                                • Jan 2015
                                • Perth

Originally posted by gunsrunner View Post
                                New battery tray arrived today, from FNB 4x4,must say I am happy with my choice.
                                Cost a bit more than the others, but looks like a better quality item. Welding and finish.
                                This one is specifically made for NW diesel and makes use of all but one of the factory mounts, plus has a heat shield on motor side. Last but not least, fits a 12inch N70 battery.
                                Will post more picks once all the goodies arrive, only want to pull car apart once.
                                Hey Gunsrunner

How did that battery tray work out for you? Does it seem pretty sturdy? What size battery did you end up putting in it? Did you have to add any holes to bolt it on?

Cheers

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X