• Show
Clear All
  • TC.Barky
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2011
    • Melbourne

Warranty Claims Advice Please

Hey guys,

Drivers seat base has developed movement over the last couple weeks which is getting worse as time goes on. Gonna try and nip it in the bud while I've got an ado/rdo combo over the next couple days. Having never had new car warranty, is there any advice I should know before ringing the dealer tomorrow? Was hoping to use a different dealer than the one where the car was bought, will that be OK? Was thinking I'd bookmark a couple threads where the problem was mentioned previously in case they don't wanna play ball.
    MY14 NW GLX-R 3.2L Auto Build Thread
    Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.
  • TheTaipan
    Banned
    • Jan 2009
    • sydney

A different dealer is fine mate. The warranty on my NS was always done buy a different dealer from purchase. Never had a problem with them.

I did take a snake or two or six to show them. Used to bring the whole workshop to a stand still. Thats mechanics, service consultants, service manager, cleaner and coffee lady.

Comment

• Downunder35m
      Valued Member
      • Feb 2011
      • Near Melbourne

From past exerience I have to say most companies take the new car warranty serious.
      After all it would an unsatisfied customer if an expensive car is not kept in shape properly because of warranty issues.
      I would just show and tell them and if there is any issues, which I doubt, remind them on the warranty laws that state a purchased item has to be fixed under warranty if they failure is way before the due time for normal wear and tear.
      Just in case mark the base so you can see if it was replaced or repaired.
      '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....
      Password for all my files: downunder

Comment

• spot01
        Valued Member
        • Apr 2011
        • Adelaide

This is a common fault with NT & NW - they will have seen plenty before - should be no problem getting it fixed.

Any dealer is OK.
        Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• TC.Barky
          Valued Member
          • Oct 2011
          • Melbourne

Well I've just dropped it in. Gotta say first impression is that it probably won't be fixed. "That would be very unusual and we've never heard of it" no interest in viewing forum threads. Now I've gotta wait 4hrs. Got a late recall so was too tired to drop it in first thing dare say they won't find anything. Pretty minor movement at this stage
          Fitted: 265/70R17 Kanati Mud Hogs. Ultimate Suspension HD Front EHD + bags rear. MM Towbar. OL Bullbar. SPV EGR Mod. Bushskinz Bash Plates x4. Roleys Rear Bar Protector. Icom IC-400Pro. Rhino Pioneer Tradie Rack. CTEK CTD250S w/ Dual Bats. Airtec Snorkel. Scangauge II. Blackvue Dash Cam. TC mod. Autosafe Half Barrier. Masten TPMS. Drifta Custom Drawers w/ Mounted Compressor. 47L ARB Fridge. Domin8rX Winch. Towing an MDC stepthrough.

Comment

• Downunder35m
            Valued Member
            • Feb 2011
            • Near Melbourne

That is quite unususal for a good dealer.
            In cases of know defects and fatigued parts every dealer has the infos coming from Mitsu headquarters, same for other brands by the way.
            But they won't make any money doing repairs under warranty, and replacing parts is even more costly.
            Seems you found yourself a cheap shop
            Remind them on the AU warranty laws that state failures of parts before a reasonable usage time has passed always have to fixed by the manufactorer, even if already a bit outside the warranty time.
            For a brand new car it is simply not acceptable to have failed parts like a seat - you find 30 year old cars at the wrecker with perfect seats, that should make them wonder about their quality in a new car.
            '94 2.8TD, 2" lift, low mount winch, bullbar, roofrack, UHF, custom drawers, HID spotties, cam, GPS....

Comment

• Uncle Fester
              Valued Member
              • Sep 2007
              • Boambee East NSW

I just hope they don't try and charge you like they did with me. Took it in for a warranty problem and when I picked it up they said that the part was not under warranty and that they had fixed it. $$$ please here is the invoice. At first I said to them that they should not have fixed it unless it was under warranty and they should have contacted me before fixing, not to mention that there $125+GST per hour is just ridiculous. In the end I got it for nothing and they billed MMA for the fix as it had actually been done under warranty once already by the previous owner (NSW Police Force).
              NT 2010 GLX Police Pack, Auto 3.2 Diesel, Smartbar, Warn XD9000 Winch and Rear Diff Lock. Cooper AT3s on Factoty Alloys, 45mm lift TJM XGS GOLD front & rear, S/D with Poly air bags Rear and HD Front , Bushskinz I/C guard, TJM T/F Case And G/Box guards, Duel Battery setup with Redarc Isolator and Redarc electric brake controller.

Comment

• TC.Barky
                Valued Member
                • Oct 2011
                • Melbourne

Originally posted by Uncle Fester View Post
                I just hope they don't try and charge you like they did with me. Took it in for a warranty problem and when I picked it up they said that the part was not under warranty and that they had fixed it. $$$ please here is the invoice. At first I said to them that they should not have fixed it unless it was under warranty and they should have contacted me before fixing, not to mention that there $125+GST per hour is just ridiculous. In the end I got it for nothing and they billed MMA for the fix as it had actually been done under warranty once already by the previous owner (NSW Police Force).
                Yowsers. Yeah I won't be paying for squat trust me. Unfortunately I've scoped out the yard (incidentally outlander PHEV is an interesting car) and there's no GLX-R trims here only two VRXs with the different seat. Gave em a wiggle though and there's no movement. Hopefully that's enough for my argument when they eventually get to my car.

Comment

• TC.Barky
                  Valued Member
                  • Oct 2011
                  • Melbourne

No joy unfortunately. I didn't press the issue. He seemed genuine about it. Said it was likely due to having the seat height adjusted up but if it gets worse to come back.

Comment

• Downunder35m
                    Valued Member
                    • Feb 2011
                    • Near Melbourne

That is utterly crap as a statement.
                    The seat height does not affect it all.
                    Just take it to Vicroads and ask them nicely to have a look and offer an opinion.
                    I personally would not accept a moving seat in a new car and I guess it is safe to assume that a problem like that only gets worse but not better.
                    From other cars I know the movement is often caused by cracked runners.
                    Also the actual mounting points for seat and base sometimes develop fatigue.
                    If the problem gets worse and your dealer still plays up take the seat out and check all parts from the floor mounts to the actual seat base, would not surprise me if you find some hairline cracks somewhere.
                    Didn't I tell you during our last trip you need to loose some weight?

Comment

• Yclept
                      Valued Member
                      • Jan 2013
                      • Sydney

Originally posted by Downunder35m View Post
                      If the problem gets worse and your dealer still plays up take the seat out and check all parts from the floor mounts to the actual seat base, would not surprise me if you find some hairline cracks somewhere.
                      The dealer should have removed the seat to check. I had a similar issue in my Grand Vitara and it turned out to be a broken weld in the seat base. Suzuki replaced the seat base.

Cheers, Brett

2013 NW Pajero VRX - White - 3000kg Tow Kit - Sports Mesh Grille - Bonnet & Light Protectors/Weathershields - Thule Wingbar - Tyre Snake - Couplertec Electronic Rustproofing - Maxtrax Mk1 - Piranha Aux Battery Tray - Redarc 1240 Charger - ARB 47 Litre Fridge - MSA Fridge Drop Slide - Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier - ORS Drawers - ARB Deluxe Bullbar - GME TX3540 UHF & AE4703 Antenna - ARB Intensity Lights - ARB Onboard Compressor - Bilstein/Dobinsons Susp - Bushskinz x 4

Comment

• TC.Barky
                        Valued Member
                        • Oct 2011
                        • Melbourne

Originally posted by Downunder35m View Post
                        That is utterly crap as a statement.
                        The seat height does not affect it all.
                        Just take it to Vicroads and ask them nicely to have a look and offer an opinion.
                        I personally would not accept a moving seat in a new car and I guess it is safe to assume that a problem like that only gets worse but not better.
                        From other cars I know the movement is often caused by cracked runners.
                        Also the actual mounting points for seat and base sometimes develop fatigue.
                        Didn't I tell you during our last trip you need to loose some weight?
                        Hahaha ruuuuuude :-P
                        It's a common enough fault with the pajeros that I'm happy its a design flaw rather than an isolated case of cracked runners etc. It's not a huge problem... yet... as the movement only occurs intermittently on the occasional corner (though it is notably rattly when you grasp the base with nobody on it) and its probably only a mm of movement in it. Felt it wasn't worth a shit fight this time and I'll keep an eye on it for any changes. Will mention it again down the track

Comment

• TC.Barky
                          Valued Member
                          • Oct 2011
                          • Melbourne

Originally posted by Yclept View Post
                          The dealer should have removed the seat to check. I had a similar issue in my Grand Vitara and it turned out to be a broken weld in the seat base. Suzuki replaced the seat base.
                          Yeah I'm gonna give it a visual inspection for piece of mind later, particularly with those kinds of stories floating around. It's not the whole seat that moves, just the bit you put your arse on (that is adjustable, hence I think why it's only ever reported on the drivers seat)

Comment

• MoreliaMatt
                            Valued Member
                            • Mar 2013
                            • Adelaide

I would go and see what a different dealer says about it... sounds like crap to me! my 4.5 year old paj doesnt move! So your brand new one shouldnt!!!
                            | 2010 NT Pajero GLS Manual DiD |

| ARB Deluxe Bullbar Colourcoded | Bushskinz Intercooler & Sump Guards | Bilstein & Lovells HD Lift |
                            | Bridgestone D697's LT | Airtec Snorkel | Lightforce 170 Spotlights | Rhino Bars & Darche Awning |
                            | Milford Cargo Barrier | ARB Dual Battery Tray | Redarc Battery Isolator | LRA 58L Long Range Tank |
                            | GME TX3510 | Polyair Bags | Runva EWX12000 Winch | SPVi EGR | Challenge Offroad Camper Trailer |

Purchased But Still To Fit - | MMA Spare Wheel Lift |

Comment

• spot01
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2011
                              • Adelaide

I have driven 4 different brand new Pajeros (NT & NW) - 2 had the movement in the drivers seat base appear within the first year & 2 didn't, ie, 50% of my sample! I didn't try to have it fixed as I wasn't keeping the 2 cars with the fault, but IMO it should be fixed under warranty - best to ask asap, in case they try the "wear & tear" argument. It is a very annoying fault when driving.
                              Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X