• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NT GLS
    • Oct 2009
    • Perth

Chip It install

I browsed the internet looking for a power upgrade for my NT GLS. I've had the opportunity to trial a DP Chip and TCD Chip, both provided some level of improvement, but nothing to really rave about. The TDC Chip would get the engine into limp mode if set at any value of 4 or greater so I wondered what else was out there. Last week I stumbled across the Chip It product (Shame on me for not checking out the commercial sponsor section of this forum!). Being familiar with PCM reprogramming for the Falcons and Commodores this system caught my attention. I chatted with Justin from Chip It on Monday and booked the Paj in for today.

I had the Chip It DPS215 unit installed which took a couple of hours to do. He did the EGR and fuel pressure sensor mod, fitted the Hi/Lo switch and gave me a quick run down on loading the different tunes.

After a couple of runs tuning it the Paj was ready to go. The performance increase is markedly noticeable. I took a drive from Perth to York this afternoon to pickup the kids and took the chance to test it out. Overtaking is something that can be done with a lot more confidence now, 3rd gear and 4th gear have heaps of punch, in fact it wouldn't be hard to tear up your licence if you keep your boot in the throttle and disregard the posted speed limits. Judging from the feel of the performance I'd say it would be likely to pull redline in 5th gear if you so desired, but that is not the point of fitting one. I was after more midrange and I'm not disappointed.

There's no noticeable increase in exhaust smoke, only a little puff during throttle tip in at WOT. The engine sounds like it's working properly, not labouring like before. I need less throttle application in 5th gear to accelerate so the torque converter spends less time unlocking and locking when going up and down hills at 100-110km/h unlike before.

In the next few weeks I'll arrange to have a 3" turbo dump pipe to catalytic converter fabricated and have a provision in the dump for a pyro sensor. Then I'll have Justin fit the Pyro sensor and EGT control module plus book some dyno time to custom tune it further. I like the ability to increase the boost and fuel, monitor EGT's and have the system automatically wind back fuel and/or boost if the EGT's get too high.

All in all a great modification for my Paj, it's really woken it up and is even more of a pleasure to drive.
    09/09 NT GLS DiD Automatic in Ironbark - Sold
    2015 Ford Territory Titanium diesel RWD
    2012 Ford Ranger PX XL 3.2 Auto
  • Blinky Bill
    Valued Member
    • Oct 2009
    • Bellingen NSW North Coast

Nice report

Your report has me thinking about Chip It down the track a bit. Their product seems great.

I'm wondering in my case if there's a need to also go the extra plumbing?

Thanks for the info - Wayne
    2013 NW Platinum Auto DiD - Tow bar, rubber mats, MM GPS, MM neoprene front & rear, ARB compressor, Safari snorkel and Bridgestone D697's.

Daily transport & tug for 2000 Kimberley Kamper.

My 'one day' list:
    * ARB air lockers
    * Bilsteins, Lovells & 50mm lift
    * nudge bar

Comment

• geoff&vi
      Valued Member
      • Nov 2009
      • Brisbane

Originally posted by NT GLS View Post
      In the next few weeks I'll arrange to have a 3" turbo dump pipe to catalytic converter fabricated and have a provision in the dump for a pyro sensor.
      I will be really interested in the 3" dump pipe, as i too want to connect a EGT gauge. Let me know a price and where you got it from please.

cheers
      Geoff
      GONE - 2010 VRX DiD Silver
      NOW - 2012 Prado Kakadu V6 Auto. Opposite Lock bar, Runva winch, Front locker, Bilstein shocks & 2" Dobbo Coils, Lightforce 240's, Scangauge, Dual Yellowtop batteries with Traxide controller, GME 3440 UHF, Featherlite Awning

Comment

• NT GLS
        • Oct 2009
        • Perth

I had the Pajero dynoed today comparing the factory tune with the custom tune supplied by Justin.

There is a 31rwkw and 146ftlb gain over the stock tune. A 3" exhaust system is being installed Wednesday next week and I will have another dyno session booked to see what improvement the exhaust will provide. I'm quite confident 200rwhp should be achievable.

Dyno sheet attached.

Let me just reiterate the difference between the stock tune and the custom tune is like chalk and cheese. I took the Paj off road over the weekend and the pulling power in H4L is much stronger than before. Economy has improved around 1l/100km but I find I'm availing myself to the extra power so economy could improve more if I ease off the throttle.

Definately a worthwhile modification.

Comment

• Jondalar
          Valued Member
          • Jan 2011
          • Brisbane

That's a really nice power gain. I will definitely be thinking about one of these in the future. So they have to be installed professionally? I would've thought they could just be plugged in by the look of the cables.
          Cheers,
          Karl
          Pajero gone, driving something European and sexy now

Comment

• NT GLS
            • Oct 2009
            • Perth

Originally posted by Jondalar View Post
            That's a really nice power gain. I will definitely be thinking about one of these in the future. So they have to be installed professionally? I would've thought they could just be plugged in by the look of the cables.
            Cheers,
            Karl
            Hey Karl,

It can be installed yourself if you have a little mechanical knowledge. I chose to have it done by Chipit as I had the fuel pressure mod done at the same time.

I see you're on AFF as well, have you got rid of the G6ET yet? I'm fortunate enough to have both the Paj and the FG F6, both vehicles I enjoy equally as much and it's difficult to decide which vehicle to drive some days.

Comment

• brett
              Valued Member
              • Jun 2007

Looks very impressive! Was it done in 2WD or 4WD, saw in a magazine test they ran a NT and Prado on a 4WD dyno and got around 115Kw in 2wd and 100Kw in 4wd, these figures are close to yours which is interesting as you can get big variations for the same car on different dynos

Comment

• NT GLS
                • Oct 2009
                • Perth

Originally posted by brett View Post
                Looks very impressive! Was it done in 2WD or 4WD, saw in a magazine test they ran a NT and Prado on a 4WD dyno and got around 115Kw in 2wd and 100Kw in 4wd, these figures are close to yours which is interesting as you can get big variations for the same car on different dynos
                It was dynoed in 2WD, the ABS fuse had to be removed to enable the vehicle to be run.

Comment

• Jondalar
                  Valued Member
                  • Jan 2011
                  • Brisbane

Originally posted by NT GLS View Post
                  Hey Karl,

It can be installed yourself if you have a little mechanical knowledge. I chose to have it done by Chipit as I had the fuel pressure mod done at the same time.

I see you're on AFF as well, have you got rid of the G6ET yet? I'm fortunate enough to have both the Paj and the FG F6, both vehicles I enjoy equally as much and it's difficult to decide which vehicle to drive some days.
                  Lucky!! I can't keep the G6ET, really wish I could as it's such a great car to drive and pretty quick too. Unfortunately only can afford one and so it will be the NT GLS for the next 3 years. I've still got the G6ET at the moment, waiting on the delivery date for the Pajero but should be late next week or the week after. I'm glad to hear you enjoy your Pajero too. It was the only 4WD I drove that actually felt like a drivers car (not that I drove them all).

Cheers,
                  Karl
                  Pajero gone, driving something European and sexy now

Comment

• NT GLS
                    • Oct 2009
                    • Perth

I had the 3" exhaust system installed today along with the EGT sensor and gauge. The engine definately revs quicker and no noticeable increase in exhaust noise which is great. As an aside the brake shudder is definately more noticeable now when braking as it gets up to speed much quicker! I'll need to get the rotors skimmed asap.

I had EGT peak at 497 C (sensor mounted about 100mm downstream from turbo in the dump pipe), will do some runs with the stock tune to establish peak EGT's. I'll need to find a private road somewhere to ring it's neck to see just how hot it runs stock to determine maximum EGT's allowable with the custom tune.

The Paj is booked in end of next week to redyno.

Comment

• Pearcie
                      BushSkinz 4x4
                      • Nov 2007
                      • Wattagans

I think you'll find it is possible to get it pretty close to redline in 5th in stock tune and very easy to have your license torn up. Chipping it and doing exhaust mod just makes you get there sooner not that I have tested this at all

Cheers,
                      Kieron
                      2012 Holden RG Colorado LX 2.8L Auto "Rad Rado"
                      Snorkel, Bilstein & Kings 50mm Lift, Custom Sliders, BushSkinz Underbody Protection, UHF, ARB Compressor, Ironman Bull Bar, Ironman 9500lb Rope Winch, Ironman HID Spotties, BFG KM2 Muddies.

Retired: NS Pajero Exceed 3.8L

Retired: NS SWB X DiD "The BushSkinz lil Paj"

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9928

Retired: NM Pajero 3.5L

www.bushskinz4x4.com.au[/SIZE]

Comment

• Wrex
                        Valued Member
                        • Aug 2007
                        • Perth

I've hit 678 degrees towing my camper up a bloody big hill. The chip reverted back to standard tune. When it came back down to 550 degrees it went back to the higher tune. We set the peak limit at 600 degrees. Justin from chip it was saying that the navara puts out exhaust temps 100-150 degrees hotter than the Paj or Tritons.

Who did your exhaust and cost if you don't mind me asking.

Comment

• Silver Streak
                          Valued Member
                          • May 2010
                          • Adelaide. South Aust.

I know we shouldn't be talking about 0 - 100kph times with a 4WD (why not?? ), but it'd be interesting to see the difference from stock times, to where some of you guys have got your vehicles setup now. Pretty hot!!
                          Cheers, Tony.

Silver Streak.

2010 NT (Nov) Platinum Pajero, DiD auto, Iron Bark.
                          Factory Tow-bar, Colour coded ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Hankook Dynopro RT03 MT Tyres, 265/R70x17, Bilstein/Lovell HD 2" lift kit, Bushskinz underbody protection plates, Navar Blue 225's, TJM Airtec Snorkel, Tinted Pajero Bonnet Protector, Uniden UH7750NB UHF-CB, Rhino Rack Sunseeker ll Awning (2.5m x 2m), Full Tint + UV film on privacy glass, Dash Mat, Techniice 60ltr Fridge/Freezer.

Comment

• Pearcie
                            BushSkinz 4x4
                            • Nov 2007
                            • Wattagans

Last I tested it was similar to factory but I am pushing around an extra few hundred kg and running 32.5" muddies. Been a long time since then so can't remember the figures. If I get a chance I will do a run again but I can't remember what the stock time for an NS SWB DiD was but couldn't imagine the LWB would be much slower if anyone has a stock LWB they want to time. But I would be interested to compare my time with a chip it NT pajero.

Cheers,
                            Kieron
                            2012 Holden RG Colorado LX 2.8L Auto "Rad Rado"
                            Snorkel, Bilstein & Kings 50mm Lift, Custom Sliders, BushSkinz Underbody Protection, UHF, ARB Compressor, Ironman Bull Bar, Ironman 9500lb Rope Winch, Ironman HID Spotties, BFG KM2 Muddies.

Retired: NS Pajero Exceed 3.8L

Retired: NS SWB X DiD "The BushSkinz lil Paj"

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...ead.php?t=9928

Retired: NM Pajero 3.5L

www.bushskinz4x4.com.au[/SIZE]

Comment

• NT GLS
                              • Oct 2009
                              • Perth

Originally posted by Wrex View Post
                              I've hit 678 degrees towing my camper up a bloody big hill. The chip reverted back to standard tune. When it came back down to 550 degrees it went back to the higher tune. We set the peak limit at 600 degrees. Justin from chip it was saying that the navara puts out exhaust temps 100-150 degrees hotter than the Paj or Tritons.

Who did your exhaust and cost if you don't mind me asking.
                              Prestige Exhausts Malaga, ask for Dom. Price was $1350 inc GST for 3" system in mid steel including replacing the factory dump pipe.The cat has been deleted but the DPF still remains in place.

I'll see if Justin can modify the custom tune a little more, it's not belching black smoke out the exhaust at full throttle only during tip-in and transition from cruise to WOT.

It's funny, I don't see this as a performance vehicle, I have my FG F6 to satify my speed needs. Nevertheless I'm impressed at how it performs. I never thought the Paj would be able to do a static brake burnout lol.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X