• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nj swb
    Resident
    • Jun 2007
    • Adelaide

The future of the Alliance?

Could this be bad news for Mitsubishi's future under the Renault - Nissan - Mitsubishi alliance?

NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box
  • dhula
    Valued Member
    • Sep 2012
    • South of Perth

With Mitsubishi having been linked with Chrysler in the past, maybe it's a coming home of sorts and could be a good thing.

Mitsubishi copied Jeep way back when and FCA includes Jeep so you never know what could happen.
    2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
    2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• old Jack
      Regular
      • Jun 2011
      • Adelaide, South Australia.

Chrysler, Jeep and Fiat, iconic brands not known for the reliability.
      If Mitsubishi must get swallowed up by other manufacturers so the brand survives then I hope it is either Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Hyundai or Kia.

OJ.
      2011 PB Base White Auto, Smartbar, Cooper STMaxx LT235/85R-16,TPMS, HR TB, 3 x Bushskinz, front +40mm Dobinson , rear +50mm EHDVR Lovells, Dobinson MT struts and shockers, Peddars 5899 cone springs, Windcheater rack, GME UHF, Custom alloy drawer system inc. 30lt Engel & 2 x 30 AH LiFePo batteries + elec controls, Tailgate hi-lift/long struts, Phillips +100 LB & HB, Lightforce 20" single row driving beam LED lightbar, Scanguage II.
      MM4x4 Auto Mate, Serial No 1 .

Comment

• nj swb
        Resident
        • Jun 2007
        • Adelaide

Originally posted by old Jack View Post
        I agree. The prospect of any of those brands having influence at Mitsubishi doesn't produce happy thoughts, although Mitsubishi could help all three by injecting some Japanese quality into their DNA.

(As a child growing up in the '70s, the phrase "Japanese quality" had very different connotations - my, how things have changed!)

If Mitsubishi must get swallowed up by other manufacturers so the brand survives then I hope it is either Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Hyundai or Kia.
        Mitsubishi have publicly stated that they see their future in SUVs, and elsewhere I've read they are considered a global leader in Hybrid vehicle technology.

Toyota already has a full line-up of successful SUVs, and is probably the global leader in Hybrid vehicles - if they bought Mitsubishi, it would be to shut down a competitor. At the moment, I don't think Toyota are sufficiently threatened by Mitsubishi to need to shut it down.

I don't think Honda or Mazda have sufficient interest in the SUV space to want Mitsubishi's brands and/or technology, and I shudder to think what Ford's influence with Mazda could inflict on Mitsubishi.

Hyundai have a historical relationship with Mitsubishi, and have previously used Mitsubishi designs in their own SUVs - so that's a potential alliance / merger that could work well for Mitsubishi.

To me, the Nissan - Mitsubishi alliance makes a lot of sense, as they both have a long term heritage in genuine off-road 4wds, and both could use a boost at the moment. Patrol / Pajero / Pathfinder / Pajero Sport / Outlander - some form of scalable hybrid platform with an electric motor at each wheel could cover all of these, and more.

Arguably, Jeep also has a strong heritage in the 4wd / SUV space, but somehow I can't see the Americans accepting too much input from the Japanese. I see no evidence that American auto manufacturers have learned anything from watching the rise of the Japanese auto industry over the course of a few decades, so why would they start now?
        NT Platinum. DiD Auto with 265/70R17 ST Maxx, Lift, Lockers, Lockup Mate, Low range reduction, LRA Aux tank, bull bar, winch, lots of touring stuff. Flappy paddles. MMCS is gone!

Project: NJ SWB. 285/75R16 ST Maxx, 2" OME suspension, 2" body lift, ARB 110, 120l tank, bullbar, scratches, no major dents. Fully engineered in SA. NW DiD & auto in place - a long way to go....

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Merts
          Valued Member
          • Nov 2011
          • Bendigo Vic

Originally posted by dhula View Post
          Mitsubishi copied Jeep way back when and FCA includes Jeep so you never know what could happen.
          ???
          As far as I'm aware Mitsubishi have never built anything even vaguely similar to a jeep.
          Merts
          Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
          Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• Merts
            Valued Member
            • Nov 2011
            • Bendigo Vic

Not known for stellar customer service either.
            Merts
            Impulse Blue 2015 MQ Triton GLS Auto

ARB Summit front & rear bars and side steps, Carryboy canopy and rack, Safari Snorkel, VRS 9500 winch, Gecko 16x7 rims with BFG 245/75r16 KM3s, Uniden 8080s UHF, Darche 270 awning
            Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear Elocker, Supertrim Neoprene Seat Covers, Drifta drawers, MSA drop slide, dual battery system and ARB onboard compressor. National Campers Hermit.

Previously a Gunmetal 2007 NS VRX DiD Auto

Comment

• nj swb
              Resident
              • Jun 2007
              • Adelaide

Originally posted by Merts View Post
              ???
              As far as I'm aware Mitsubishi have never built anything even vaguely similar to a jeep.

According to that article, they were made in the US by Jeep, and shipped in parts for assembly in Japan. It appears that later models used engines made in Japan.

Scorpro Explorer Box

Comment

• Seigried
                Valued Member
                • Apr 2016
                • brisbane

There are some of these in australia. I came close to buying the 96 turbo diesel from the sunshine coast in qld. I beleive they are grey imports here brought in under one of the superceded import schemes
                Here is some more info:

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Comment

• NJV6
                  Valued Member
                  • Sep 2010
                  • New Zealand

Originally posted by nj swb View Post
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_CJ#Mitsubishi_Jeep

According to that article, they were made in the US by Jeep, and shipped in parts for assembly in Japan. It appears that later models used engines made in Japan.
                  Quite a few of these in NZ.
                  1994 NJ SWB, 3.5 Manual, 285/75/16 Deegan 38s MT, 25mm body lift, Twin ARB air lockers, XD9000 winch, custom bar.
                  1991 NH LWB, 3.9 V8, trayback, solid front axle, Toyota hi mount winch
                  2011 NT GLX DiD, 3.2 Manual, 285/65/17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, SPV EGR, Lovells SD rear, HD front, Bilsteins, Custom underbody protection, Safari Snorkel, JTig intercooler and loads of zip ties in the dash...

Comment

Sorry, you are not authorized to view this page

Matched content

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X