• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roadsy
    • Nov 2017
    • QLD

Does anyone know this Pajero?

I recently purchased a savage 2009 Pajero GL? from Pickles auction (Gracemere) which was repairable write-off due to an electrical fire under the hood. This is quite a unique Pajero where the previous owner was clearly using it for touring, and I dare say they were into photography as there are USB ports everywhere.

There are potentially two projects that is going to come out of this vehicle:
    1) Transplant all the good parts onto my bone stock 2009 Pajero GLS
    2) Source replacement parts that were cooked and see if I can get her going again

I am thinking of writing up a separate post with why I went down this path and my experiences along the way, in case anyone is interested.

Now back to the subject - is this your car or do you know the person that owned it?

I’m keen to know the background of this vehicle (service history, what caused the engine fire, anything that isn’t obvious by simply looking at the vehicle). If this is you, it would be greatly appreciated if you’re able to comment or message me directly.

I’m very excited to start this project and hopefully get another Pajero back (safely) on the road.

Here are a few photos to help identify the vehicle.

Regards,
    Brock
    Attached Files
    2009 NT GLS Pajero LWB Auto DiD, Kenwood DMX7017BTS & DRV-N520 Dashcam.
    &
    2009 NT GLX Pajero LWB Manual DiD, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Drivetech Suspension, Kings Springs, Polyair Air Bags, MT Deegan 38 Tyres, Rhino Rack Platform, Titan Drawers, Boo's Bash Plates, ProVent Oil Catch Can
  • spot01
    Valued Member
    • Apr 2011
    • Adelaide

The car has factory parking sensors & rear spoiler, so I don't think it is a GL - more likely a GLS or one of the limited editions, eg, Active, etc.

The hottest part of the fire damage appears to be where a second battery may have been fitted?
    Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Roadsy
      • Nov 2017
      • QLD

Yeah, definitely not a GL but I wasn't sure if it was a GLX or GLS or some variant of these. Interestingly the revs check says its a GLX LWB (4x4) NT but it's got painted door handles and side mirrors, which I didn't think was an option for the GLX models.

I've only had a quick look over the damages and it definitely started around the primary or auxiliary battery. Seems like there was a lot of DIY wiring but I don't want to say that caused the fire without knowing the facts. I'm pretty confident it's repairable but it'll come down to how much the wreckers want to charge me for the wiring harnesses.
      &
      2009 NT GLX Pajero LWB Manual DiD, ARB Deluxe Bullbar, Drivetech Suspension, Kings Springs, Polyair Air Bags, MT Deegan 38 Tyres, Rhino Rack Platform, Titan Drawers, Boo's Bash Plates, ProVent Oil Catch Can

Comment

• Keithyv
        Valued Member
        • May 2018
        • Perth

Out of interest how much $$ did it cost you?
        Looks like that's going to be a bit of work!

Good luck!
        2014 NW MY14 3.2 DID GLX-R Auto. Champagne in colour!
        MM Lockup mate. King KCRS-35 rear springs. Monroe Gas Magnum TDT rear shocks. 3M color stable tint all round. Spare wheel lift kit. 'Dynamat' in all doors and rear cargo area. Pioneer AVH-Z5150BT Head Unit. Upgraded Speakers. Rear (2nd row) USB outlet. Factory nudge bar with LED light bar. Provent catch can. LED interior lights. Rear cargo area twin Andersons and Merit socket. Anderson plug in rear bumper. 6 channel TPMS.

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Roadsy View Post
          Yeah, definitely not a GL but I wasn't sure if it was a GLX or GLS or some variant of these. Interestingly the revs check says its a GLX LWB (4x4) NT but it's got painted door handles and side mirrors, which I didn't think was an option for the GLX models.

I've only had a quick look over the damages and it definitely started around the primary or auxiliary battery. Seems like there was a lot of DIY wiring but I don't want to say that caused the fire without knowing the facts. I'm pretty confident it's repairable but it'll come down to how much the wreckers want to charge me for the wiring harnesses.
          All the various Limited Edition models were based on the GLX and were classified as GLX by MMAL, so I think it is one of them.
          If you know when it was built (refer Build Plate in door frame), you may be able to work out which LE it is by looking on Redbook. Some of them also had rear diff locks, rear A/C, sat nav, 6 airbags, etc.
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• Roadsy
            • Nov 2017
            • QLD

Hey Keithy,

I'm planning to document everything about the purchase (why, the process, lessons learnt, costs, etc) in a seperate dedicated post, as I think this could be a cost effective way to modify older vehicles without over investing. But since you're asking, it cost roughly $3100 including all the fees and I picked it up myself which cost another $170 for the trailer hire + 2 tanks of fuel.

I did it primarily to transplant all the good items onto my Pajero, but I'm now going to try get this Pajero back on the road after seeing the damage in person. Looks really bad in the photos but the fire didn't really spread too much and it looks like the previous owner responded pretty quickly with a fire extinguisher. There's just ash all over the engine bay which makes it look like everything has been burnt.

But you're 100% right...there's definitely a bit of work ahead of me.
            &

Comment

• Roadsy
              • Nov 2017
              • QLD

Originally posted by spot01 View Post
              All the various Limited Edition models were based on the GLX and were classified as GLX by MMAL, so I think it is one of them.
              If you know when it was built (refer Build Plate in door frame), you may be able to work out which LE it is by looking on Redbook. Some of them also had rear diff locks, rear A/C, sat nav, 6 airbags, etc.
              Hey Spot,

So I've had a look at the build plate and cross referenced against Redbook and it seems like it's a 2009 Mitsubishi Pajero RX NT Manual 4x4 MY10...there's nothing else that matches the trim/accessories. So I guess the RX is a variant of the GLX, even though it resembles more like a GLS
              &

Comment

• Wazza999
                • Jun 2018
                • Canberra

If you put the Vin into the partsuq website you will get the build details. I have a my11 NT RX 3.2 DiD. It has an RX badge on the tailgate and a different grill - horizontal bars, no Mitsubishi badge. Mine has rear ac, 6 airbags, no diff lock, no MM entertainment system, spoiler, roof bars, HID lights, but no headlight washers.

Comment

• Roadsy
                  • Nov 2017
                  • QLD

Originally posted by Wazza999 View Post
                  If you put the Vin into the partsuq website you will get the build details. I have a my11 NT RX 3.2 DiD. It has an RX badge on the tailgate and a different grill - horizontal bars, no Mitsubishi badge. Mine has rear ac, 6 airbags, no diff lock, no MM entertainment system, spoiler, roof bars, HID lights, but no headlight washers.
                  Haven't come across that website before...seems like some really good doco that I could use. Thanks Wazza!

So the model is: 3200D-TURBO/LONG WAGON<07M-> - GLX(NSS4/EURO4),5FM/T

One mystery solved, fingers crossed we can solve the mystery of the previous owner
                  &

Comment

• Ky1e
                    • Aug 2015
                    • Muswellbrook

If you plan to scrap it I could be keen on a long engine and ecm..

Subscribed. Keen to follow your journey!!

Comment

• spot01
                      Valued Member
                      • Apr 2011
                      • Adelaide

Originally posted by Roadsy View Post
                      Hey Spot,

So I've had a look at the build plate and cross referenced against Redbook and it seems like it's a 2009 Mitsubishi Pajero RX NT Manual 4x4 MY10...there's nothing else that matches the trim/accessories. So I guess the RX is a variant of the GLX, even though it resembles more like a GLS
                      That sounds about right - it would have been spec'd up to almost GLS level.
                      I had a MY11 RX, which was a different spec, so I'm not sure what was in the MY10, but it would have some extra goodies.
                      Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• aussieintas
                        Valued Member
                        • Feb 2013
                        • Sorell, Tasmania

I agree its an RX model based on the spec level. It has had the rear door badges removed.....'rx' and 'did'.

The grill from memory on a 2009 RX should be black so it could have been painted or changed by previous owner.
                        2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                        88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                        92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                        92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                        99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                        95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                        08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Roadsy
                          • Nov 2017
                          • QLD

Originally posted by Ky1e View Post
                          If you plan to scrap it I could be keen on a long engine and ecm..

Subscribed. Keen to follow your journey!!
                          Hey Ky1e, I'll keep this in mind. I probably won't really know until early next year as I need to wrap up the home renos before starting the next project...unless I want to sleep in the dog house permanently.
                          &

Comment

• Roadsy
                            • Nov 2017
                            • QLD

For anyone that's interested...

Yesterday was a big day as this engine fire Pajero is now 100% restored, passed write off inspection and now registered again. And with only 3 days to spare before we set off for Fraser Island for it's first big shakedown.

Thank you for the people that gave me advice along the way, and I had the support from some great companies locally that made this possible.

> On & Offroad Mechanical in Brendale QLD
                            > Sandgate Auto Electrics in Sandgate QLD

When I get back, I'll document the journey and the costs to get this vehicle back on the road in case anyone else was considering it.
                            &

Comment

• Seigried
                              Valued Member
                              • Apr 2016
                              • brisbane

Awesome [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X