• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • harrygee
    • May 2018
    • Melbourne

Super Select 4H issue - 2002 NM auto

Hi mates,

I bought a Pajero 2002 NM GLS automatic 4 weeks ago and have issues with the super select system. Symptoms: When I engage from 2H into 4H, the front wheels lights are not flashing and after 10 to 15 sec. the center diff light starts to blink.

Switching from 4H into 4HLc or 4LLc while in neutral works. In these modes the front wheels start flashing and the center diff light stays on. I can hear the servo working and doing it"s job. Moving front or back works and switching back into 2H works fine. Not into 4H, regardless from which mode I came.

When I test drove the car after purchase all modes worked properly. It started suddenly last week while I tried to engage 4H during rainy weather. No offroad use before. Exchanged all new tyres, checked pressure and did a relearn after dual battery setup but nothing yet. The pre-owner had to fix the temperature gauge behind the dashboard before I purchased, but I don't know if that might have caused some electrical problem. All modes were OK after that,at least for a short period.

Anyone suggestions what that might be? I
  • ogijs
    • Jul 2016
    • Latvia

I would say sensors. Had the same problem few weeks ago, changed all 5 sensors (bought chinese set for 35USD). Just can't understand how you can get it work 4HLC if it gives error on 4H. Best option for you get it somewhere who can read error codes, just don't disconnect battery before that.
    If you will need to change the sensors and you decide to buy chinese, make sure to check plugs before fit them in, some of them could be covered with plastic (cheap fabrication) but otherwise mines working fine so far.
    Pajero NP 3.2DiD 2003, OME 2'', 285/75R16 on Patrol Y61 16" wheels, Bravo snorkel, 4Revo winch. Custom/integrated side steps, Custom paint job and custom scratches

Comment

• GHendo
      Valued Member
      • Mar 2012
      • Northern NSW

It could well be the sensors – I had this problem years ago. The sensors are on the top of the transfer box and very difficult to get to. You have to drop the back of the box to have a chance to access them.

They are called “Switch - Transfer Box Gearshift position” and their part numbers are ... at least they are for my NP - I am assuming your NM is the same ...

MR580151, MR580152, MR580153, MR580154 & MR580155

A full set of genuine ones will set you back around $1,000 but you can buy them from this crew for a bit of $30 each …

Mitsubishi MR580153 SWITCH,T/F GEARSHIFT POSITION. New & genuine Japanese car parts. Fast shipping. Low prices. Request a quote from Amayama Trading Co. online.

If the person who previously had your vehicle didn’t use the transfer lever much, it would explain why you have experienced this problem.

Cheers

Geoff
      03 NP Manual Di-D Exceed, 2" lift, Dobinsons Springs, Lovells Shocks, ORU Winch, ARB Bullbar, Scott's Rods 3" Exhaust, ARB Compressor, Rear Air Locker, Cooper S/T Maxx, Hella Rallye 4000 S/Lights, Pioneer AVH-X5850BT DVD/Tuner w/- Reversing Camera, Sensa Tyre monitor, Uniden UH8080NB UHF, Rhino Platform Roof Rack, Hema HN-7 GPS, Engine Watchdog, CouplerTec, CTEK D250S DC-DC Charger, Snorkel, Towbar.

Comment

• harrygee
        • May 2018
        • Melbourne

Cheers Mate! I was talking to a Mitsubishi guy and he said its most probable an electrical issue. That aligns with your suggestions quite well. I tried to clean the connectors of the sensors a bit, as those are accessible; but no change in behavior.

Is there any way to get the sensors replaced without lowering the whole transfer case / gearbox? I thought about a service hatch like for the fuel pump? Anyway, I don't have the tools to do that properly and guess a mech has to do that job. Can you recommend someone in Melbourne area/Clayton?

Thanks a lot!

Comment

• bastisupertramp
          • Apr 2018
          • Brisbane

Hey,

I also had this problem with the orange blinking light. My mechanic was just disconnecting the sensors and put some electrical connector spray on them. After a while the car drives without orange light blinking.
          The mechanic said for changing the sensors, he needs to dismantle the middle console ( gear shift etc.). I was wondering where he got the information about that.

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
          Working...
          X