• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhale101
    • Apr 2015
    • adelaide

Disconnecting battery

If I disconect battery for 1 minute will that do any damage apart from loosing radio settings?
    2" lift kit, SVP EGR mod, Roley rear bash plate, LED interior lighting, spare wheel lift, Uniden UHF, Poly Air bags, 2100 mm Rhino Roof rack on Rhino rails, Rear drawers, LED reversing lights
  • aussieintas
    Valued Member
    • Feb 2013
    • Sorell, Tasmania

No
    2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
    88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
    92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
    92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
    99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
    95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
    08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
      Valued Member
      • Jul 2013
      • Sydney

You shouldn’t lose the radio settings either except the clock.
      NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• Muzza
        Valued Member
        • Jul 2007
        • Nsw

Originally posted by jhale101 View Post
        If I disconect battery for 1 minute will that do any damage apart from loosing radio settings?
        Besides radio, you will lose steering calabration
        Muzza
        2014 NW VRX , Alloy ECB bar, Poly air bags, EGR fixed. EDS scan gauge, lockup mate.
        2003 NP DID GLS retired and gone to a good home
        2007 21' Lotus spirit caravan

LH Torana

Comment

• spot01
          Valued Member
          • Apr 2011
          • Adelaide

Originally posted by Muzza View Post

Make sure the wheels are in the straight ahead position before disconnecting.

You will also find the ASC warning light will stay on until you have driven a few hundred metres.
          Pajero NX MY21 GLS

Comment

• jhale101
            • Apr 2015
            • adelaide

Originally posted by Muzza View Post
            What do you mean steering calibration
            2" lift kit, SVP EGR mod, Roley rear bash plate, LED interior lighting, spare wheel lift, Uniden UHF, Poly Air bags, 2100 mm Rhino Roof rack on Rhino rails, Rear drawers, LED reversing lights

Comment

• Pajshomoneroguntero
              Valued Member
              • Jul 2013
              • Sydney

The stability control will need to recalibrate itself. You do this by driving straight ahead for a few hundred metres. The advice to disconnect with the steering straight is to avoid the potential for the ASC to have a spat when it recalibrates.
              NX GLS MY16 Auto: MM Towbar | Spare Lift Kit | Cooper ST MAXX 265/65R17 | SPVi Module mk3.1 | Autosafe Half Cargo Barrier | Torque Pro App | Donaldson 3um 2ndry Fuel Filter | Diff Breathers | GME4500 UHF | Rhino Rack Pioneer Platform | Roley's Rear Bash Plate | Bushskinz Underbody Protection | Airtec Snorkel | Onboard Compressor | Awning | ARB Deluxe Bar | Lightbar | Sherpa4x4 Winch | Bushskinz Sidesteps | Masten TPMS

Build Thread

Comment

• aussieintas
                Valued Member
                • Feb 2013
                • Sorell, Tasmania

So simplifying it you won't damage anything but keep steering fairly straight when doing so. As others have said when you start her up again the ASC light may stay on. A quick drive will rectify that.

Done this quiet a few times with no issues bud.
                2014 VW Touareg V6 diesel

Previously
                88 NF Exe SWB 2.6 manual
                92 NH Gls LWB 3.0 auto
                92 NH J-Top 2.5 manual
                99 Landcruiser Gxl 4.5 manual with all the fruit
                95 NJ Gls SWB 3.0 auto
                08 NS Vrx SWB 3.2 auto​

Comment

• gaz1
                  Valued Member
                  • Jun 2007
                  • Blue Mountains NSW

A bit off-topic, but are those gadgets with a 9V battery and a cigarette lighter plug that purport to maintain radio settings with the battery disconnected of any use? I'm guessing it will put a (small) 9V supply onto the things that are connected to the 'accessories' circuit, perhaps without the key being turned. But will that actually work?
                  2010 MY 2011 VR-X V6. Stock standard.

Previously 02 NM auto V6 Exceed silver. Extra transmission cooler & transmission temp gauge, activated rear lights, Impco sequential LPG system, Redback (Wildcat) Headers, heavy duty radiator. Lovells shocks F & R, Polyair bags in rear.

My original Pajero experience - '90 NG Superwagon, 3.0 V6 manual bought new and kept until 1998. Great vehicle, no problems apart from the noisy valve lifters typical of that engine.

Comment

• dhula
                    Valued Member
                    • Sep 2012
                    • South of Perth

Can't speak for the ones you plug in to the ciggy socket as I've never used one. I have used the ones where you clip on t the main battery terminals when you change battery etc and these do work for radio, clock etc but I don't know if they work for the steering/ASC side of things.
                    2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                    2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• dhula
                      Valued Member
                      • Sep 2012
                      • South of Perth

Originally posted by jhale101 View Post
                      What do you mean steering calibration
                      STEERING WHEEL SENSOR CALIBRATION

When the battery is removed, the learned neutral point of the steering wheel sensor is erased, and ASC OFF indicator illuminates, and diagnosis code No.83 is set. In this case, use either one of the following steps to initialise the steering wheel sensor:

USING M.U.T.-III
                      1.After turning the ignition switch to the "LOCK"(OFF) position, place M.U.T.-III
                      2.Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
                      3.Rotate the steering wheel over 8°, and then maintain it in a neutral position (in the straight-ahead position of the vehicle).
                      4.Perform Item No.14 of the actuator test.
                      5.Ensure that the ASC OFF indicator has been turned OFF.
                      6.Turn the ignition switch to the "LOCK"(OFF) position.
                      7.Remove M.U.T.-III

NOT USING M.U.T.-III
                      caution Always carry out the steering wheel sensor neutral learning while not raising the vehicle but driving.
                      1.Start the engine.
                      2.Rotate the steering wheel over 8°, and then maintain it in a neutral position (in the straight-ahead position of the vehicle).
                      3.Drive the vehicle straight forward at 35 km/h for approximately one second on a flat road.
                      4.Ensure that the ASC OFF indicator has been turned OFF.
                      Last edited by dhula; 27-05-18, 01:15 PM.
                      2010 NT Activ, DiD+lazy shift. Bushskins+Boo's, Kings springs+Monroe shocks+Firestone Airbags, MM towbar, MM nudgebar.
                      2006 KJ Cherokee, CRD+lazy shift. Ironman springs and OME shocks, MoPar skids.

Comment

• Geoffaw
                        • Jan 2014
                        • Adelaide

It all depends on why you are removing the battery. When working on or around airbags there should be zero voltage and in fact you should wait 20mins or so to allow the capacitors to discharge. This time is generally less for later model cars. When welding on a car remove all power and keep the earth close to work area. Many times I have used a smaller 12volt fused power supply to the battery leads and then removed the battery, thus giving access or the ability just to change out a battery. Keep the wheels straight just in case a clip flicks off! I hope this helps.

Comment

• vladguan
                          Valued Member
                          • Mar 2015
                          • Adelaide

I recently had to change the wife's 07 Outlander and had an old phone cigarette charger. Gutted and soldered the connections and soldered the other end to a 12V switching power pack. Plugged it in and changed the battery without issues. The 9V battery type will work but there is a caveat to it. Use a fresh 9V battery every time.
                          Please call me Vlad.
                          -----------------------
                          MY15 NX GLS - SPV EGR; Donaldson filter; Front sensors; Compass; DEI506T and DEI507M; LED interior and exterior lights; Blue LED step lights; 3T tow bar; 20% front & clear tint over privacy windows; Chrome handle protectors; 3x Bushskinz guards; Nudge bar; Hella Sharptones; Dual alarm horns; STEDI lightbar; TC mod loom; Paddles; ProVent 200; Dobinsons springs and MRR shocks; Bonnet struts; OCAM awning; Rear work light; Air compressor. TBD - UHF.

Comment

• Dicko1
                            Valued Member
                            • Dec 2014
                            • Cairns, FNQ

Originally posted by vladguan View Post
                            I recently had to change the wife's 07 Outlander and had an old phone cigarette charger. Gutted and soldered the connections and soldered the other end to a 12V switching power pack. Plugged it in and changed the battery without issues. The 9V battery type will work but there is a caveat to it. Use a fresh 9V battery every time.

Did you just plug it in or put key to aux/ign?
                            Dicko. FNQ

2014 NW with all the usual stuff plus more.

TIME....1000 times more valuable than money

Comment

Matched content

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X